SportsWrath

Why you should love the Kiwanuka pick

HOUND

OK, I know several are frustrated at the selection of Kiwanuka at the end of round 1. I can see where some might feel that we lost an opportunity to fill a need position with the pick. However, targeting a position, and not talent, is a risky approach to the draft. George Young would definitely agree with me here. So instead of dwelling on who we could've had or what we missed out on, I'm going to provide you with some Kiwi highlights in the hopes you'll come to see what I already do ... that in Matthias Kiwanuka, we've got a heck of a football player. There are plenty of other threads whining about what we're lacking. Here's one that hopefully points out what we now have.

Size: 6'6 inches tall. Large frame. Huge wingspan reminiscint of Jevon Kearse. Weight may be a bit light at 265 but he has the frame to add muscle. His agility and athleticism suggests he won't be negatively effected by doing this.

Athleticism: Uses his long arms to keep opposing blockers from engaging him. Is an exceedingly difficult to defender to latch onto. Has quick feet and hands with an explosive burst off the line. Gets upfield incredibly quickly.

Numbers: Earned 1st Team All-ACC honors his Senior season despite playing in only 10 games (he missed 2 contests with minor knee injury after sustaining a cheap shot vs. Virginia). Had 9.5 sacks in those 10 games. Won Big East Defensive Player of the Year Award after a solid junior season. He led the Big East in sacks in back to back years. He had a school record 37.5 sacks in 48 games played. In fact, if you compare his numbers to top pick Mario Williams, Kiwanuka measures up and even exceeds Williams in some areas, although career numbers must be weighted considering Williams came out as a Junior. Kiwanuka's 40 time and broad jump are identical to Williams. Kiwi's one shortcoming appears to be overall strength as he did half the reps on the bench.

Scouting Report: Blue Chip pass rusher with enormous upside. Has the combination of size, speed, quickness, athleticism, agility, experience and proven production to be an impact pass rusher early in his career. Has the fine work ethic coaches look for. Is capable of playing strong or weak side end in 4-3 and projects as an everydown defender. Only lacking area is needs to get stronger but given the commitment demonstrated at the college level, this likely is a quick fix. An NFL caliber weight lifting regimen will pay huge dividends.

I remember watching Kiwanuka as a Junior and thinking he would've been the best Defensive End in last years draft. He played hurt a good deal during his Senior year and still produced solid numbers. This despite receiving consistent double teams. He never should've lasted to the 32nd pick and we got amazing value from the trade.

People throw around the "Best Player Available" phrase all the time here but it's never been truer than it was in this case. For those that feel we're already set at Defensive End thanks to the excellent season just completed by Osi Umenyiora I should point out that Osi was considered by many as a reach in the 2nd round. Kiwi is far more developed as a prospect and likely can contribute earlier if asked to. Would anybody really have a problem having Osi and then "Super Osi", because that's what Kiwi is.

As you mentioned, something that Kiwi has going for him is his consistency. The coaches and EA harped on this but he's been a consistent sack machine his entire career. That's something you can't say about Mario. I think Kiwi's got a good chance of emerging as the best dlinemen from this draft.

I don't have a problem with it. They know better than everyone here...yes even you Floyd...

If they picked a kicker in the first round then maybe I'd speak up.

Guest Floyd The Barber
YADA YADA YADA YADA YADA YADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADA

YADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADA

YADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADA

YADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADAYADA YADA YADA YADA YADA

good point...love the pick

As you mentioned, something that Kiwi has going for him is his consistency. The coaches and EA harped on this but he's been a consistent sack machine his entire career. That's something you can't say about Mario. I think Kiwi's got a good chance of emerging as the best dlinemen from this draft.

I have to agree!!! :TU:

I'm thinking about not posting on here again for like 2 years and then come back after the G-Men have won a Super Bowl to see what the Fab 4 will find to bitch about.

LockHart: "Eli Manning is such a sell out. He said that now that he's won the Super Bowl he's going to Disney Land, we should trade him for Roethlisberger"

Nutty Sack: "Yeah, and now that Strahan got his ring he's retirering, now we have to deal with Kiwi only getting 15 sacks a year"

He has a chance to learn from two very talented pass rushing ends. He is a talented DE with great size but didnt perform well at the senior bowl. It was a surprising pick especially with the talent that was on the board at the time but a good pick. Nice post Hound.

Size: 6'6 inches tall. Large frame. Huge wingspan reminiscint of Jevon Kearse. Weight may be a bit light at 265 but he has the frame to add muscle. His agility and athleticism suggests he won't be negatively effected by doing this.

An inch taller & 10 lbs. lighter than Strahan, it's not impossible for him to put on 10 lbs. of muscle.... I'm not worried about this kid's size or ability, I thnk the majority of people out there are upset about this pick simply because they already saw so much depth at this position & need elsewhere. But again as you stated, going by taking the best player available the Giants did pretty well. I liked DeMeco Ryans (picked immediately thereafter by Houston) but I think Kiwanuka is the more talented of the two.

Kiwanuka was a top 20 pick until the senior bowl...

Brick Ferguson made him his little bitch that week...in practice, drills, and the game

D'Brick is going to make a lot of NFL players his little bitch! I'm looking foward to there rematch when the G-Men play the Jets in the preseason.

Kiwanuka was a top 20 pick until the senior bowl...

Brick Ferguson made him his little bitch that week...in practice, drills, and the game

Funny D'Brick and Kiwanuka both played for the North, how exactly did D'brick make him his little bitch during the game?

Lets not talk out our ass, O.K.?

This was just a chance of drafting the BPA. At first I was shocked but I like the pick the more I think about it. I also heard that we really wanted Kelly Jennings but Seattle dicked us over for that one (go figure). Either way I'm excited to see what this guy can do. Our first 4 picks were pretty solid if you ask me.

Guest Floyd The Barber
This is better called a rationalization or panic post.

correct...these are futile attempts in trying to convince yourself of something you dont even believe in...

this is the same sort of banter we would read from posters who posted about William Josephs efforts the past 3 seasons...they try to rationalize something that is ir-rationable...

Funny D'Brick and Kiwanuka both played for the North, how exactly did D'brick make him his little bitch during the game?

Lets not talk out our ass, O.K.?

:blush: ya got me there :clap:

but he really did make him look bad at senior bowl practices though

An inch taller & 10 lbs. lighter than Strahan, it's not impossible for him to put on 10 lbs. of muscle.... I'm not worried about this kid's size or ability, I thnk the majority of people out there are upset about this pick simply because they already saw so much depth at this position & need elsewhere. But again as you stated, going by taking the best player available the Giants did pretty well. I liked DeMeco Ryans (picked immediately thereafter by Houston) but I think Kiwanuka is the more talented of the two.

In looking at him, he actually reminds me a lot of mike. I think that the influence of having strahan on the team to teach our draft picks cannot be emphasized enough. I think he has the most to teach out of any players on our team. A player like Tiki can show someone how to work hard but he cant teach someone to run or have the vision that he does. Someone either has it or they don't. I dont think this is the case with DE. Obviously, rookies will pick up on his work ethic but he also has lots of moves, strategies and information that he can pass on. I think a prime example of this is Osi. I dont think Osi would be anywhere near as good as he is this early in his career without Strahan's influence. And I'm extremely excited that our first round pick also has the opportunity to learn from the best to ever play the game.

In looking at him, he actually reminds me a lot of mike. I think that the influence of having strahan on the team to teach our draft picks cannot be emphasized enough. I think he has the most to teach out of any players on our team. A player like Tiki can show someone how to work hard but he cant teach someone to run or have the vision that he does. Someone either has it or they don't. I dont think this is the case with DE. Obviously, rookies will pick up on his work ethic but he also has lots of moves, strategies and information that he can pass on. I think a prime example of this is Osi. I dont think Osi would be anywhere near as good as he is this early in his career without Strahan's influence. And I'm extremely excited that our first round pick also has the opportunity to learn from the best to ever play the game.

Armstead is spot on with his observations concerning the benefits of learning under Strahan. Mike's been an invaluable resource for Osi, who at times seems a bit too cocky for his age. Strahan has kept him in check and made him work hard and take nothing for granted. Strahan learned early on that he'd need to work hard to stick in this league and he's passed that on to Osi. I don't think Kiwi will struggle in this capacity as his work ethic is hardly in doubt.

Keep in mind, despite all the talent we currently have at Defensive End on this team, Mathias Kiwanuka is the highest rated prospect we have at the position. Neither Strahan, Osi, or Tuck carried the draft grade Kiwi does.

Guest Carbo

He's 30 pounds underweight. He'll be eaten alive in the NFL. His arms look like Eli's. Oh, well, we always have next year's draft to try and right the wrongs of this weekend.

Guest Floyd The Barber
He's 30 pounds underweight. He'll be eaten alive in the NFL. His arms look like Eli's. Oh, well, we always have next year's draft to try and right the wrongs of this weekend.

thats ok, we just signed a 6 foot 8 power foward to play TE...paired with his vertical, he will be able to pull down El's horribly overthrown balls...

You don't get it...all he has to do is throw on ten pounds in pro workouts to hit 275 and with his tall frame, he'll easily do that. He actually has the height (6'5 3/4") to hit 280-285.

If Mathias is underweight, what does that make Manny Lawson and Kamerion Wimbley, at 241 and 248 lbs. respectively? Both were picked higher than Mathias and they'll be lucky to hit Mathias' current weight without losing their speed.

You are absolutely clueless.

Guest Carbo

10 lbs. won't do it. You are absolutely clueless as you try and put a positive spin on a disastrous weekend for the Giants organization.

10 lbs. won't do it. You are absolutely clueless as you try and put a positive spin on a disastrous weekend for the Giants organization.

275 won't do it for a defensive end?

That's actually a perfect weight for a defensive end.

Go back to the Cowboys board.