SportsWrath

Giants: Nicks is Giants top priority over Cruz

osi724dasack

"

Quote:

For all the talk there has been about the New York Giants signing restricted free agent wide receiver Victor Cruz to a long-term contract, the team is putting a bigger emphasis at this time on signing wide receiver Hakeem Nicks to a long-term deal, according to league sources.

Nicks, 25, has one year remaining on his contract, but New York would like to tie him to the team long term as it views him as a legitimate No. 1 wide receiver."

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=8910210&city=newyork

Report: Giants favor Hakeem Nicks over Victor Cruz

As New York Giants owner John Mara claims wide receiver Victor Cruz has asked for too much money, it's a teammate that may have become the priority.

A source told ESPN.com's Adam Schefter the Giants are focused on an extension for Hakeem Nicks, not Cruz. Nicks has one year left on his deal, but the Giants reportedly want him locked up as the No. 1 receiver. The 25-year-old has two 1,000-yard seasons in his four-year career. Injuries kept him from three games in 2012.

Call me skeptical, but this could be a subtle message to Cruz, who will be a restricted free agent this offseason.

Nicks has been good, but Cruz has been dynamic in the slot. Nicks is the more traditional outside receiver, but Cruz has had the bigger impact with 2,628 yards, 19 touchdowns and a Pro Bowl selection in the last two seasons.

The Giants don't want to lose Cruz, but they'd like to to motivate him to lower the asking price. Blowing kisses at Nicks could be one tactic.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000134560/article/report-giants-favor-hakeem-nicks-over-victor-cruz

28 catches, 4 tds. best postseason wr run ever.

cruz vs nicks in general is a good argument. cruz vs nicks during last year's superbowl run is a slam dunk imo

Unfortunately, as seen this season, you can't have a good SB run without actually getting in the playoffs, first. Getting there was on Cruz. Not Nicks.

Besides, I said Super Bowl season. There'd be no Super Bowl season without Victor Cruz.

And just so you know, I think Boldin is about to smash Nicks record, anyway. It's the nature of the league now. Next year, someone else will probably top Boldin.

nicks had 28 catches for 444 yards and 4 tds. 10 catches in the superbowl.

boldin has 16 for 278 and 4 td's as i type this. and his td's were a bunch of red zone scores, not long game breaking td's like 3 out of 4 of nicks' tds were.

boldin's postseason isn't touching nicks' postseason. nobody's does except fitzgerald's and he didnt win the big one that year.

as for cruz, his yardage production fell off about 500 yards and 33% from last season with a healthy nicks. nicks gets his with or without cruz on the other side. not easy getting those long YAC plays when there's more players around you to make the tackle

Nicks being out hurts the offense's production in general. It doesn't make Cruz a lesser priority than Nicks. It means Nicks needs to work on staying healthy for an entire season and the coaching staff needs to work on shutting him down when he's ineffective before he can be awarded a long term deal when he already is signed for next season. It's a waste of money, you're going to lose cap space in a year when your entire team is still competitive enough to make a run at the Super Bowl. I would rather have Cruz and Nicks together for one more year, see how Nicks responds in his contract year, than fuck around a la Jake Ballard style, try to get cute, and lose out on a season with Nicks potentially healthy and hungry for a big contract, Cruz happy and ready to play, and Randle in his sophomore season. Maybe we pull both deals out of our ass this year, who knows, it did seem like last year we were going to be in cap hell this coming season, though, so I dunno. I'll shut up if that happens.

yeah like when victor cruz was second in the NFL in drops this year.

Or like when Victor Cruz played healthy in all 16 games this season.

Or like when Cruz, by himself, kept the Giants season alive with a 99 yard touchdown catch and run.

i agree with that sentiment although i think nicks' injury prone tag is a bad rap. he missed 6 games in 3 years and 3 of those were for some freakish compartment syndrome thing.

he was definitely rushed back and he was wrong for telling the coaches that he was ok to play. if it was an MCL injury then that kind of surgery puts him back on the field in week 10 if he gets the surgery after the tampa game.

i guess we could sign nicks, have cruz play for a cheap RFA contract next season and franchise him but i have no idea if the giants can afford to do that. i'd rather wait it out then sign either of them right now. with cruz demanding a lot of money and nicks coming off an injury i don't really want to pay either of them yet

Or like when Victor Cruz played healthy in all 16 games this season.

Or like when Cruz, by himself, kept the Giants season alive with a 99 yard touchdown catch and run.

cruz was a huge huge part of last year's run. im not disputing that, i love the guy. i just think he's our 2nd best wr

i agree with that sentiment although i think nicks' injury prone tag is a bad rap. he missed 6 games in 3 years and 3 of those were for some freakish compartment syndrome thing.

he was definitely rushed back and he was wrong for telling the coaches that he was ok to play. if it was an MCL injury then that kind of surgery puts him back on the field in week 10 if he gets the surgery after the tampa game.

i guess we could sign nicks, have cruz play for a cheap RFA contract next season and franchise him but i have no idea if the giants can afford to do that. i'd rather wait it out then sign either of them right now. with cruz demanding a lot of money and nicks coming off an injury i don't really want to pay either of them yet

Yeah, but you can't say that Nicks was 100% at all this season in the games he did play....not his fault at all, but still, a concern, IMO.

yeah it's a lost season for him for sure and i think our offense's inconsistent performance showed how truly valuable he is.

personally i'm gonna wait to see how he comes back next year before i get concerned, because i don't consider him an injury-prone player, i just think the injuries he had this season were handled miserably

yeah it's a lost season for him for sure and i think our offense's inconsistent performance showed how truly valuable he is.

personally i'm gonna wait to see how he comes back next year before i get concerned, because i don't consider him an injury-prone player, i just think the injuries he had this season were handled miserably

yeah, I think it's just bitterness on my part over that fact.

I don't want this debate to turn into who's worse... I think both players are great, make each other better, and in turn make the team better... Now some, and I think most of us think Nicks, is the better of the 2 although, imho not by a lot.