SportsWrath

It's going to get worse before it gets better

JMFP

that's just this season though

I'm pretty sure he averages about 3 games out a season....and he can't be one hundred percent healthy in some of those games after he comes back....it's not his fault, it's the coaching staff's fault for not having faith in anyone else.

I don't think he's bad, by any means. He's probably top 25 in the NFL at the position....but he is absolutely no where near Calvin Johnson status....he's not even on Julio Jones level. Or even Dez Bryant's level, boneheaded mistakes aside.

nicks is 6'1 208 pounds and he's not soft at all. he's out there playing with a fucked up MCL. there's no superbowl run without him. 2nd mvp after eli last postseason

the way our offense has performed this year is proof that nicks makes our offense go. how's victor cruz doing this year without all that single coverage that nicks gets him?

this guy has bailed us out of SO MANY gilbride inspired stalled drives on 3rd down in the past using his size on back shoulder throws

the real mistake was not just sending him for MCL surgery. he would've been back by week 10

I've also stated the Giants rushed him back from injury.. but I stand by my observation that Nicks needs to get more physical.

I'm pretty sure he averages about 3 games out a season....and he can't be one hundred percent healthy in some of those games after he comes back....it's not his fault, it's the coaching staff's fault for not having faith in anyone else.

I don't think he's bad, by any means. He's probably top 25 in the NFL at the position....but he is absolutely no where near Calvin Johnson status....he's not even on Julio Jones level. Or even Dez Bryant's level, boneheaded mistakes aside.

he missed 6 games in 3 seasons before this one and i believe 3 of those games were due to that weird ass compartment syndrome thing which i wouldn't hold against anyone in regards to how prone they are to injury. this season is a total waste though. i wish they had just sent him for surgery if it's just his MCL

top 25 is a joke. he was easily top 5 coming into this season. he was coming off the greatest postseason for a wide receiver ever and made people think a practice squad slot receiver was an all-pro

he missed 6 games in 3 seasons before this one and i believe 3 of those games were due to that weird ass compartment syndrome thing which i wouldn't hold against anyone in regards to how prone they are to injury. this season is a total waste though. i wish they had just sent him for surgery if it's just his MCL

top 25 is a joke. he was easily top 5 coming into this season. he was coming off the greatest postseason for a wide receiver ever and made people think a practice squad slot receiver was an all-pro

He doesn't put up the numbers, bro. He doesn't even put up better numbers than Victor Cruz.

He doesn't put up the numbers, bro. He doesn't even put up better numbers than Victor Cruz.

all you have to do is watch them all play

cumulative numbers aren't there because he missed two games per season prior to this one

I think if you have a QB, you\re not rebuilding.

Maybe....but in there's alot that needs to be rebuilt around him.

I think Eli is fine....he's the foundation of the team.

But the offensive line is not good. And the defensive line is worse. The linebackers have become a joke. The Ravens trampled the Giants in a 4-4 alignment.

I'm sorry, anyone who wants to get ruid of not yet 25 year old Hakeem Nicks either has no memory or hasn't been paying attention. Disappointment sometimes clouds judgement and this is one of those times. Hakeem Nicks is an elite receiver, a monster talent and I'm pretty sure Jerry reese and the rest of the NFL knows that. When you start talking about where the Giants need upgrades, Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz are far, far down the list!

I'm sorry, anyone who wants to get ruid of not yet 25 year old Hakeem Nicks either has no memory or hasn't been paying attention. Disappointment sometimes clouds judgement and this is one of those times. Hakeem Nicks is an elite receiver, a monster talent and I'm pretty sure Jerry reese and the rest of the NFL knows that. When you start talking about where the Giants need upgrades, Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz are far, far down the list!

I agree....Nicks and Cruz are very dangerous. My concern about Nicks is his durability....seems like every season he's hampered for long stretches. But when his is 100%, he is a huge threat.

Actually, that's a Giants fan's opinion. Most of the rest of the NFL sees him as the above average talent that he is. There's only been one point in his career he's dominated anything, and that was the 2011 playoffs.

But here you go, here's my list:

Calvin Johnson

Larry Fitz, even with a shitty QB

Julio Jones

Roddy White

Reggie Wayne

Vincent Jackson

Andre Johnson

Brandon Marshall

Steve Smith

Greg Jennings, who unfortunately suffered the same fate as Nicks this year

Mike Wallace

Dwane Bowe, even with a shitty QB

Demarius Thomas

Victor Cruz

Dez Bryant

Wes Welker

Jordy Nelson

Torrey Smith

James Jones

Hakeem Nicks

This is my current list, based on this season. Top 20

Discounting this year, with all the injuries, the previous two seasons:

Games - 28

Receptions - 155

Yards - 2251

TDs- 18

Average that out over a 16 game season and you have 88 catches, 1280 yards and 10 Tds. And he's not yet 25. While he might not be Calvin Johnson, A) who is? and B) check the numbers of the guys on your list and I think you'll see Hakeem belongs right in that company. AND I think you'll see that many of the guys you mention have had their off years, too.

But again, if we're talking about what's wrong with the Giants and what they have to do to get back to where we want them, Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz are the LEAST of our troubles!

Discounting this year, with all the injuries, the previous two seasons:

Games - 28

Receptions - 155

Yards - 2251

TDs- 18

Average that out over a 16 game season and you have 88 catches, 1280 yards and 10 Tds. And he's not yet 25. While he might not be Calvin Johnson, A) who is? and B) check the numbers of the guys on your list and I think you'll see Hakeem belongs right in that company. AND I think you'll see that many of the guys you mention have had their off years, too.

But again, if we're talking about what's wrong with the Giants and what they have to do to get back to where we want them, Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz are the LEAST of our troubles!

I'm just saying it's a myth that he dominates or takes over games like a lot of people seem to think he does. He's done that in one stretch of his career and I think it had more to do with Eli being on absolute fire than anything Hakeem Nicks did. I just wanted to put it into perspective. He's done that only once in his career. He's more inconsistent than most of the WRs on that list.

And the Calvin Johnson comparison was something that made it's rounds on this board multiple times. I realize he's not the "problem" but playing him at like 75% is equivalent to not playing him at all because 100% of his game is physicality. He is not fast and he doesn't even have the best hands.

You're right that he's not Calvin Johnson. Guess what? Nobody else is, either. But the numbers over two seasons contradict that he's only been successful over "one stretch" and compare with anybody else on that list.....and my hunch is, if we had any of those other guys, you'd be finding fault with them too. (and I completely disagree that he doesn't have great hands. He snatches everything!)

A healthy Hakeem Nicks alters how opposing defenses play us. I am convinced that the lack of separation you saw from our receivers this year was directly attributable to not having to play a safety over Nicks, allowing them to double & smother Cruz. If Nicks is healthy, they can't do that....or at least they never did. Anyway, I reiterate that there are many areas of more pressing concerns on this team!

Ok Storm, so let me just pin you to a position: you think we should not extend Nicks. We should let him play out the last year of his contract (at age 25) and don't really care whether we resign him or not. That's your position?

I think we're just going to agree to disagree or we'll be going back and forth until training camp!

get

Actually, that's a Giants fan's opinion. Most of the rest of the NFL sees him as the above average talent that he is. There's only been one point in his career he's dominated anything, and that was the 2011 playoffs.

But here you go, here's my list:

Calvin Johnson

Larry Fitz, even with a shitty QB

Julio Jones

Roddy White

Reggie Wayne

Vincent Jackson

Andre Johnson

Brandon Marshall

Steve Smith

Greg Jennings, who unfortunately suffered the same fate as Nicks this year

Mike Wallace

Dwane Bowe, even with a shitty QB

Demarius Thomas

Victor Cruz

Dez Bryant

Wes Welker

Jordy Nelson

Torrey Smith

James Jones

Hakeem Nicks

This is my current list, based on this season. Top 20

get real

Negative. I've seen him drop multiple deep passes dropped right into his bread basket.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFC&type=receiving&rank=232&year=

lotta guys on your list at the top. from a yardarge standpoint victor cruz is 2/3rds of the wr that he was last year with nicks not drawing double teams this season but because nicks had a couple of bad drops in the redskins game last year he suddenly has terrible hands. no way has nicks ever dropped double digit balls in one season.

i just dont get it. i know you watched the playoff games last year. you really think james jones can do what nicks did? or jordy nelson? or fucking torrey smith?

fitzgerald's numbers are way way down this year with a terrible qb. why does he get a pass but nicks playing on one leg doesn't?

I'm not sure who here said we need to get rid of Nicks (not sure what they're smoking)... my only gripe related to Nicks is he needs to get more physical and the organization needs to let players heal fully before letting them play.

Remember how Plax manhandled the GB DBs in the NFCCG? Have you seen how physical Dez Bryant plays?... Have you seen how physical Nicks is?

Pretty much this. For how big of an idiot Bryant is, he's a much closer comparison to Calvin Johnson as far as physical receivers go. If he stops being a headcase, that guy is going to dominate our team for years.

And like Nas said, I didn't say NOT to extend Nicks, just that if he's going to come in and demand top 5 WR money, which I fully expect him to try, it's better we move on because he's not worth it.

http://stats.washing...&rank=232&year=

lotta guys on your list at the top. from a yardarge standpoint victor cruz is 2/3rds of the wr that he was last year with nicks not drawing double teams this season but because nicks had a couple of bad drops in the redskins game last year he suddenly has terrible hands. no way has nicks ever dropped double digit balls in one season.

i just dont get it. i know you watched the playoff games last year. you really think james jones can do what nicks did? or jordy nelson? or fucking torrey smith?

fitzgerald's numbers are way way down this year with a terrible qb. why does he get a pass but nicks playing on one leg doesn't?

I don't look at it like a lot of you guys look at it. It doesn't matter size or getting double teamed. Is about putting up numbers and being consistent. If you can't do either, I don't care how often you draw double coverage or play hurt. Neither do the record books.

It's about creating an impact and Nicks is as inconsistent as they get at that.