SportsWrath

Small too firm beds at Giants training camp causing big problems

Nas

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/08/small_beds_at_giants_training.html

ALBANY, N.Y. - As training camp was winding down the other day, Will Beatty pretty much summed up how the Giants’ players were feeling about their dorm-room domiciles.

“You spend a lot of money getting your house right and then you come here and it just ain’t the same,” the Giants offensive tackle said. “You hit up Wal-Mart a few times, get some Tempur-Pedic toppers, your own blankets and, eh, it’s not the same.”

These are finely tuned athletes who spend much of the offseason getting their bodies right and, in some cases, watching everything they consume and charting what they do. And there they were this week talking about how the firm mattresses in their rooms were throwing it all off by causing a bunch of their backs to stiffen.

Yesterday, as news hit of two defensive tackles being sidelined with back issues, and as the players broke camp at the University at Albany, the story line really took off.

“Everybody’s been complaining about their back because the beds in the dorms are fairly hard,” said Linval Joseph, one of the few key healthy defensive tackles, particularly after the loss of Shaun Rogers to a season-ending blood clot.

“My back’s been hurting, too. Like I said, I think it’s just the bed.”

Asked pointedly if he believes the mattresses are to blame for all of the back issues, Joseph replied, “Yes, I really do.”

Beatty and fellow offensive tackle James Brewer have been in and out of practice with back soreness. Defensive tackle Marvin Austin was undergoing tests in Manhattan yesterday on his back. Cornerback Terrell Thomas experienced lower-back stiffness early in camp and claimed it led to his reinjuring his ACL because of improper form.

Someone informed of Austin’s symptoms said his back locked up on him on Monday. The person, who requested anonymity because tests are ongoing and could continue today, said the initial hope is it was merely a minor muscular injury and not a spinal condition.

Now, defensive tackle Martin Parker’s herniated disc that will require surgery is certainly due to the hit he took in the preseason opener in Jacksonville and not his mattress. But as Joseph said, there have been lots of stiff backs the past few weeks.

The Giants said they, not UAlbany, provide the mattresses, though the players feel the beds are too small for such big men. The 330-pound Brewer, for example, has been sleeping in a twin bed.

“We’re big humans. Every bed is small,” Bennett said. “You can’t put a damn dinosaur in a twin-sized bed. ... A normal-sized human jumps into a regular-sized bed and it fits perfectly. Large, big humans jump in a regular-sized bed, the bed’s too small.

“My back doesn’t hurt. My back feels great. I have a great back.”

Years ago, the reply to any complaints would’ve been, “Tough. Suck it up. This is what camp is about.”

But now, the Giants have their own training facility that housed them for training camp last year. The players stayed in nearby hotels with plush beds.

The mayor of Albany and the school would like the Giants to return next year. Giants president and CEO John Mara said a decision will be made in the fall. Perhaps the bed issue, regardless of who provides the mattresses, will play into their thinking.

Asked how his bed was, Coughlin quipped, “I don’t know. My rear end is bothering me, but it’s not from that.”

And the bed had nothing to do with Rogers’ blood clot, which Joseph believes was due to a leg whip in practice, combined with the flights to and from Jacksonville.

Coughlin lamented the sad end to Rogers’ season yesterday.

“He lost 50 pounds,” Coughlin said of the 12th-year veteran. “He went from, like, high 380s to 334 to check in at. He was really excited to be a part of this team, he got along really well with our defensive linemen.

“It’s just a shame. I mean, obviously it’s health-first. There isn’t any question about that. And the only way they can control these things is with these blood-thinning drugs. And once you do that, you’re done. You can’t take a chance on some kind of bleeding that’s undetected.”

After a pause, Coughlin added, “It’s a sad thing.”

Mike Garafolo: mgarafolo@starledger.com

I think this is pretty funny. Yeah multi-million dollar franchise with everything they need to pretty much just skip over the Albany training camp altogether that has been practicing up in Albany for years now. This is the year when people are complaining about beds being too small and hard?

Guys, you're soft. You slept in those beds last year and the year before that.

I think this is pretty funny. Yeah multi-million dollar franchise with everything they need to pretty much just skip over the Albany training camp altogether that has been practicing up in Albany for years now. This is the year when people are complaining about beds being too small and hard?

Guys, you're soft. You slept in those beds last year and the year before that.

I disagree. Having a good night sleep is important... these beds are too firm which can be a huge problem.

I agree on the sleep part but do you really think the mattresses are different from any previous season?

Are the Giants buying new mattresses every season? Don't think so.

I disagree. Having a good night sleep is important... these beds are too firm which can be a huge problem.

I agree on the sleep part but do you really think the mattresses are different from any previous season?

Are the Giants buying new mattresses every season? Don't think so.

I would be surprised if they didn't.