SportsWrath

Welcome Markus Kuhn

BleedinBlue

I like this guy and think he might end up making the team.

When Marc Ross (Giants Dir. of Scouting) was interviewed, he was asked this question concerning Kuhn:

Q: "Is he (Kuhn) really strong?"

A: "Yeah he's strong. He's big and strong. Tough guy, you need that on the team. He's fast. Ran a 4.9 at the combine. A straight line fast guy we think can run down on kickoffs. Again, when we get this far down in the draft, we're looking for special things that guys can do and he's big and strong and and can run fast and he plays hard. So those are the qualities we look for in a guy."

-------------------------------

LMAO - when was the last time you heard of a 4.9 speed / 300+ lb defensive tackle on special teams running down kickoffs? JPP did when he first joined the team, but he's a DE, not a DT and he didn't weigh 300 lbs. I've never heard of a DT on special teams. I can't imagine carrying a ball and seeing him coming at me. Damn! I'd just lay down.

markus_kuhnjpg_42f0ae408d53a17e.jpg

Markus Kuhn at the combine

not a fan of the dude already being 26 years old, however.

Heck.....Cleveland took Weeden in the first round (22nd) overall and Weeden is 28.

It depends on how many miles are on the chassis and how well the car has been cared for. Give me a 2008 BMW with 25k miles and has been well maintained over a 2011 BMW with 75k miles that's been in several wrecks and back and forth to the body shop a few times.

Kuhn is over 300 lbs without an ounce of fat and ran a 4.89. How many times have you ever heard of a guy over 300 lbs breaking the 5.0 barrier? I've never even heard of one that was close.

Regardless.....the guy is extremely smart (speaks 3 languages fluently), extremely strong, 6'6" tall, a bull of a man, tenacious, and as fast as a 200 lb linebacker. I like him.

Hey, he's faster than Spikes over in New England, lol. Nah, I'm good with him being 26. At DT, he could have an 8 year career ahead of him at least. That's a long career in the NFL and after all, he's the 7th rounder. He'll have to earn his spot on the roster because it's not going to be easy for him unless he survives a war of attrition at the position.

I like this guy and think he might end up making the team.

When Marc Ross (Giants Dir. of Scouting) was interviewed, he was asked this question concerning Kuhn:

Q: "Is he (Kuhn) really strong?"

A: "Yeah he's strong. He's big and strong. Tough guy, you need that on the team. He's fast. Ran a 4.9 at the combine. A straight line fast guy we think can run down on kickoffs. Again, when we get this far down in the draft, we're looking for special things that guys can do and he's big and strong and and can run fast and he plays hard. So those are the qualities we look for in a guy."

-------------------------------

LMAO - when was the last time you heard of a 4.9 speed / 300+ lb defensive tackle on special teams running down kickoffs? JPP did when he first joined the team, but he's a DE, not a DT and he didn't weigh 300 lbs. I've never heard of a DT on special teams. I can't imagine carrying a ball and seeing him coming at me. Damn! I'd just lay down.

markus_kuhnjpg_42f0ae408d53a17e.jpg

Markus Kuhn at the combine

So this is the guy that crazy brunette is gonna fuck, right?

Dude, he's gonna break her in half.

No, Mr. Irrelevant was some QB taken by the Colts, I think from Boise State... anyhow, there's two threads about it over in GD, one of them is the crazy chick thread. Don't forget there's all those 7th round compensatory selections after our pick in the 7th.

Guest StrahansGap

Kuhn's my least favorite pick of this years draft. The few highlight I've seen didn't look good. He looked lost.

Kuhn's my least favorite pick of this years draft. The few highlight I've seen didn't look good. He looked lost.

Reese and TC prefer guys who are long, strong, and fast and prefer to coach them up.

I imagine Kuhn's future is a rotational backup to give the inside guys a breather, but you never know in this game. Proper NFL coaching and a willingness to learn could make him a good player. You can't train a guy to be long, strong, and fast.

Guest StrahansGap

Reese and TC prefer guys who are long, strong, and fast and prefer to coach them up.

I imagine Kuhn's future is a rotational backup to give the inside guys a breather, but you never know in this game. Proper NFL coaching and a willingness to learn could make him a good player. You can't train a guy to be long, strong, and fast.

They needed to fill the void left by Tollefson. Not saying Kuhn is anywhere near the player Tolly is, but I think that was their mindset when they drafted him.

They needed to fill the void left by Tollefson. Not saying Kuhn is anywhere near the player Tolly is, but I think that was their mindset when they drafted him.

Tolly was a DE, not a DT. The DT position is pretty solid with Canty and Linval Joseph, but after that it's a bit sketchy with Austin having not played in 2 years and lacked experience prior to the 2 year hiatus. Rogers should provide adequate backup but between Martin and Hendricks, there's certainly room for improvement.

Everything I've read about the guy is that he's more of a run stuffer than a pass rusher and has a tenacious motor that never quits even when it looks like the play is overwith. In fact, his 5 sacks last year had little to do with his athleticism and everything to do with his continuing to fight in the trenches even after being tied up. That's the book on him. Strong, tenancious, and never gives up. He should be more than an adequate rotational backup and make up for the loss of Rocky Bernard.

Had the Giants not burned their last pick on him, other teams were standing in line to try and sign him to the UDFAs on their team. The front office really likes this guy a lot and said that they considered him in the discussions when making their 2nd 4th round pick as well as their 6th....but figured there was a better chance he'd be on the board at 7 than the other two. Many analysts give Kuhn a higher grade than McCants and Mosley.

I think he'll be a good addition to the d-line and will adequately spell the starters to keep them with fresh legs. The guy has no fat on him at all, which is pretty amazing for a guy over 300 lbs.

2648_Markus_Kuhn.jpg

He looks like a 7th rounder.

Yes, but there's some potential there too. Some observations, first the cons:

For such a strong guy he seems to do a poor job of getting off run blocks. One-on-one he played it to a standstill, double-teams washed him out of the play entirely.

Consistently the LAST guy off the ball. Not much of a first step either.

Poor angles in pursuit.

Doesn't seem very agile. Needs more yoga in his regimen. I'm kidding. Actually, that might not be a bad idea, he looks really stiff.

But the good stuff:

It took two guys to control his pass rush, he was beating one-on-one blocks.

Good speed as long as he's moving forward - seems like they sent him on a lot of looping stunts, presumably for that reason. ( But put his performance on those stunts up under the cons - he would run himself out of the play rather than bring it up tight into what I assume is his assigned gap. Watch Tuck on a stunt and then go back and watch Kuhn if you're not sure what I mean).

Awesome hair.

Good bull rush.

I see a player with some useful skills.... not anywhere near ready to see time against an NFL offense though.