SportsWrath

My Complete FIRST ROUND Mock

Allstarjim

1. Indianapolis Colts select:

Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford.

Some people are blowing smoke that they could go Griffin here. No way. Luck is more polished and the plan has been for Luck for a long time. Luck is Irsay's man.

2. Washington Redskins select:

Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor

Quite obvious Shanahan is going in this direction. Few players have the athleticism that Griffin can bring, and he will energize the team and city. A steeper learning curve than Luck, though.

3. Minnesota Vikings select:

Matt Kalil, OT, USC

Pretty obvious choice, IMO. They need to give Ponder a fair shake, and you can only do that if you protect your young QB's blind side. A need position that they hope will aid Ponder's development.

4. Cleveland Browns select:

Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama

This team is desparate for some punch on offense. They need to find a way to be competent on offense now, Richardson gives them that chance. There's no way Holmgren will go for Tannehill this early. I think Holmgren will try to help McCoy, and if he has a shot for Tannehill in the 2nd, then he'll take it.

5. Tampa Bay Buccanneers select:

Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU

The secondary badly needed help. They signed Eric Wright but Claiborne will bring a shutdown corner to further bolster that defense, and bring Tampa back to its hey day when they were a defensive-oriented team.

6. St. Louis Rams select:

Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State

Simply put, Bradford needs help. The one weapon they had (Brandon Lloyd), departed for greener pastures in Foxborough. Bradford to Blackmon just sounds like it fits.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars select:

Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina

Some might say he's a edge rusher in a 3-4. I think he's the kind of player you line up anywhere in the front 7 and watch him go. The Jaguars desperately need a player that brings that fear factor to the defense. They need Melvin Ingram, he's their guy, and he'll be a big help to them.

8. Miami Dolphins select:

Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi St

DE Randy Starks is a free agent after this season, and the other starter at DE, departed in free agency. Cox has the perfect size, quickness, and strength to step in at DE in Miami's 3-4 Defense and start right away.

9. Carolina Panthers select:

Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame

Tough one for me to mock, because I think the Panthers would love to help out their OL here with a OT, to take the spot on the right side. But I think they get more value at RT in the 2nd round. Floyd would be a perfect complement to Steve Smith, and gives Cam Newton a shiny new toy to play with.

10. Buffalo Bills select:

Riley Reiff, LT, Iowa

This is a perfect fit for Buffalo, after losing Demetruss Bell to the Eagles. The Bills need a dominant LT to help Fitzpatrick, and getting the 2nd ranked OT on the board fits a need and is a good value at 10.

11. Kansas City Chiefs select:

Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College

Pick Change - Kuechly has been rising and his overall production plus athletic ability makes him a more valuable pick in KC's 3-4 than a OG does at #11 overall, even if DeCastro is arguably the best OG prospect in years.

12. Seattle Seahawks select:

Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina

The Seahawks need a pass rusher, and Coples physical stature fits the bill. Questions about his motor abound, but Pete Carroll likes a challenge and doesn't shy away from players with a question mark or two. Coples elite measurables put him in the crosshairs for the Seahawks.

13. Arizona cardinals select:

Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M

This is a tough one. Last year, 4 QB's were taken in the top 12 picks. QB prospects that were considered 2nd round talents shot up the draft board, like Christian Ponder and Jake Locker. This year, it's Tannehill. The tape looks good, great mechanics, and he reads coverages. The Cardinals were in on Peyton, they aren't sold on Kolb, who hasn't stayed on the field. Tannehill gives them a long term answer.

14. Dallas Cowboys select:

Mark Barron, SS, Alabama

Jerrah knows that secondary was a big weakness last year. Jerrah likes his good 'ole Southern ball players. Jerrah likes great players from National Championship teams. Jerrah takes Mark Barron. Michael Brockers is also a good fit that could be taken here.

15. Philadelphia Eagles select:

Michael Brockers, DT, LSU

So I've flip-flopped on this one several times, between Brockers and Kuechly. I could even see them going with Hightower, or Stephon Gilmore. But the Eagles traded for Demeco Ryans, and I don't think they are giving up on Casey Matthews. Mike Patterson and Cullen Jenkins are there, but Brockers would give the bigs inside a nice rotation to keep them fresh. The Eagles need to upgrade their run defense, they can do that with Brockers, Kuechly, or Hightower, but Brockers has the best value to the Eagles, here, IMO.

16. New York Jets select:

Whitney Mercilus, OLB, Illinois

Some might think this a reach with Nick Perry, Chandler Jones, and Courtney Upshaw still on the board. But Mercilus led the nation in sacks last year and is a better fit as a 3-4 pass rushing OLB than the other guys. He had a terrific combine and the Jets need an elite pass rusher.

17. Cincinatti Bengals select:

Nick Perry, DE, USC

This guy is a tremendous athlete. Prediction: Perry goes before Courtney Upshaw. Perry is just a better player, more athletic, more explosive. You see it on the game tape, and all but his 20 yard cone (which was a near push - Upshaw 4.60, Perry 4.66) were not just better than Upshaw, but significantly better. Cincinatti needs more teeth in the front four. They need help at other positions, but great pass rushers go in the 1st.

18. San Diego Chargers select:

Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina

Similar to the Upshaw/Perry debate is the Gilmore/Kirkpatrick debate. Some think Kirkpatrick is the 2nd best CB in this class, but the bigger, faster, stronger player (with better ball skills), is Gilmore. Chargers have a lot of needs, CB is one of them, and he is arguably BPA here for them.

19. Chicago Bears select:

Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford

There is some concern with Martin after a poor Pro Day, but the tape is good, and the Bears are desperate for help on the OL, particularly at tackle, and Martin is the strongest LT candidate on the board.

20. Tennessee Titans select:

Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama

After Courtland Finnegan left the Titans in free agency, they need help at the position. Kirkpatrick is a nice replacement.

21. Cincinatti Bengals select:

David DeCastro, G, Stanford

Pick Change: I basically flipped DeCastro's and Kuechly's spots. Easier for me to adjust the mock, but I also like DeCastro here. He's a good fit with the Bengals. Last year's starter at LG, Nate Livings, was signed by the Cowboys, so DeCastro is a good replacement.

22. Cleveland Browns select:

Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse

His athleticism and length, I believe, are going to shoot him past other pass rushers like Andre Branch and Courtney Upshaw. Pass rushing DE is a need for the Browns, and they now address both sides of the ball in the first round.

23. Detroit Lions select:

Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama

The only reason he's not up there with the top corners in this class is character concerns. But he has the ability to be a great corner in the NFL, and Detroit can use him, after having the 22nd ranked pass defense in the NFL last year. Especially important position if you play in a division with the Packers and another team that just signed Brandon Marshall. OL is also a big need, but Jenkins has the best value, IMO.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers select:

Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis

He's a natural fit for the Steelers here. Casey Hampton will be 35 and coming off of an ACL surgery, so Poe makes perfect sense. He's a guy that, for his size, moves amazingly well, compares to Vince Wilfork. The Steelers could also take Dont'a Hightower here, but Poe is the more logical choice.

25. Denver Broncos select:

Cordy Glenn, RT/G, Georgia

The Broncos have about 96 million reasons to make this pick. Glenn's flexibility in being able to play Guard or RT helps the Broncos shore up the OL for Peyton.

26. Houston Texans select:

Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford

I think teams are awfully quiet about Fleener because they want him to last until their pick. You just don't find guys that are that big, that run that fast, that is that polished as a route-runner, that athletic. Matt Schaub definitely needs a second reliable target after Andre Johnson in the passing game. And while Owen Daniels is still there, he has battled injuries a great deal, and Joel Dreessen left for Denver. The two tight end set has been very productive for New England and San Francisco, and that look could enhance the passing game and help Arian Foster, too.

27. New England Patriots select:

Dont'a Hightower, LB, Alabama

The Patriots need help all over their front seven, and Hightower is a Bill Belichek kind of player, just big, mean, and tough. He could step in right away and help the Patriots in the run game as well as a pass rusher out of the 3-4.

28. Green Bay Packers select:

Devon Still, DT, Penn State

I think Still is a good choice for the Packers, who need to toughen up their front seven. Still can play as a 3-4 DE, and I think his stock is rising.

29. Baltimore Ravens select:

Andre Branch, DE/OLB, Clemson

Yup, the Ravens are built around an attacking defense. Branch is a nice fit across from Suggs as an edge rusher.

30. San Francisco 49ers select:

Peter Konz, C/G, Wisconsin

The 49ers need to get meaner on the right side of their Offensive Line. Konz is the top Center in the draft, and can also slide over and play Guard.

31. New England Patriots select:

Courtney Upshaw, DE, Alabama

The Patriots score their second Alabama prospect in Upshaw. With Mark Anderson and Andre Carter gone, they need bodies at DE. Upshaw can play DE in the 4-3, and is versatile enough to where he can play in the 3-4 as well.

32. New York Giants select:

Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor

I never thought I would mock Wright to the Giants. But he's the BPA, and he can be an elite slot receiver or play on the outside. He's a perfect replacement for Manningham, so versatile, and so fast. Bobby Massie, Doug Martin, and David Wilson are all tempting choices here, and I could very well change my mind, but Wright brings so much value. I think with only one RB coming off the board in the first, the Giants can feel comfortable in having a good shot at landing a player like Isaiah Pead at the end of the 2nd, or even waiting later. And while Massie is very intriguing, he and Mike Adams don't offer the value at this pick that Wright does.

Bobby Massie, OT, Mississippi

Had to make the pick change because of the poor combine showing of Wright, with some scouts putting a 3rd round grade on him. I do like others, most notably Rueben Randle, WR from LSU and RB's Doug Martin and David Wilson, however, I think with Diehl aging, Brewer still a work in progress, and Beatty coming off of eye surgery and entering a contract year, the Giants need to address the Tackle position going forward. Massie is a solid choice, and could slide into the RT spot early in his career. He doesn't have a lot of the off the field concerns of Mike Adams, and he has pretty good feet (7.70 3-cone at combine, 11th among offensive linemen). I hate to change my pick to the same thing as what bigblue25 did, but Massie makes too much sense here. The Giants will look to address RB and WR a little later.

Harrison Smith, S, Notre Dame

Second best safety prospect in this draft, has good value here, and can contribute to the Giants early. Not really a sexy pick, but a solid pick, that to me, represents the most value at this point in the draft.

I think it's all pretty reasonable, except that there needs to be some explanation as to why Miami wouldn't take Tannehill.

Top 7, I agree with wholeheartedly...unless you want Cox or Poe for Jacksonville...either way Jacksonville addresses DLine.

I think you might have Keuchly a bit low and DeCastro a bit high, but certainly not by much and certainly not to the realms of unquestionable.

And if Poe is still around when the Steelers pick, I think he's the guy, but I don't know that he'll be there. If he's not, I can't see an organization that prides itself on its linebackers passing on Hightower.

Aside from that, it's a nicely put together mock.

I already hate my own pick for the Giants.

Well, I wasn't going to pick that one apart, but if the Giants pick a WR in the first, I'll be very, very shocked...especially if the Richardson is the only RB taken and if Mike Adams is still available. Massie, I feel, would be a huge reach with the first.

I think it's all pretty reasonable, except that there needs to be some explanation as to why Miami wouldn't take Tannehill.

Top 7, I agree with wholeheartedly...unless you want Cox or Poe for Jacksonville...either way Jacksonville addresses DLine.

I think you might have Keuchly a bit low and DeCastro a bit high, but certainly not by much and certainly not to the realms of unquestionable.

And if Poe is still around when the Steelers pick, I think he's the guy, but I don't know that he'll be there. If he's not, I can't see an organization that prides itself on its linebackers passing on Hightower.

Aside from that, it's a nicely put together mock.

Thanks man. I don't think Miami will go with Tannehill this year. I think they are going to hitch their wagon to Moore, they also have Garrard, and perhaps they will pick up Weeden in the 2nd. Of course, I could be wrong, but I really believe they will give that job to Moore for one more year, and if he fails big time, then they will address it later. I'm certainly not in love with my mock of Cox to the Dolphins.

I agree with your thoughts on the Steelers. It's Poe or Hightower.

I think DeCastro is a better prospect than Pouncey, who went at 15 last year. I like DeCastro a lot. I wanted to mock Kuechly higher, but I always felt there was a better fit with other players, I just see cover corners, left tackles, and pass rushers as more valuable than Kuechly, who really is probably better than the 21st player in this draft. I would have mocked him to the Eagles at 15 if they had not had brought in Demeco Ryans.

I also think Mike Adams stock is falling as there are big doubts about his work ethic, passion for the game, and team rules' violations. I'm giving the slight edge to Massie because of this, but I don't know, I'm probably going to change my pick, and it might not be either of those guys.

1.Colts-

Andrew Luck Qb Stanford-

Seemed like this was gonna be the pick for the past 6 months, pretty obvious, some say maybe best QB they have ever seen on film, coming out of college

2.Redskins-

Robert Griffin III QB Baylor-

Traded the farm for him, but will be worth it. Don't worry about McNabb, he seems to need some Summer eve for his Vag. Shanahan will do just fine with RG3 and he wanted a QB he can put his fingerprints on

3.Vikings-

Morris Claiborne CB LSU-

Talk is they are not that in love with Kalil and they ranked dead in every single defensive passing category. Claiborne provides an immediate upgrade and too me is way better then last years LSU DB Peterson. this may be a bit of a stunner, but Fraizer is a Defensive guy and will want to improve that side of the ball. Maybe the Vikings give him another season with this pick. The reason Mathieu put up numbers and was a heisman candidate was pretty simple, everybody threw at him and stayed away from Claiborne, some scouts think the next Champ Bailey

4.Browns-

Trent Richardson RB Alabama

Great pick, will provide a spark for this offense, that is much needed. Way too high for Tannehill, they will bring in a QB later, but should give McCoy a shot

5.Bucs-

Melvin Ingram DE South Carolina-

With Claiborne and Richardson gone, this is the pick, they have spent alot of early picks on the DLine with no avail, still only ranked dead last in sacks, yes Clayborne and Bowers were only rookies, but adding Ingram into that rotation will immediately improve that area.

6.Rams-

Matt Kalil OT USC-

Fisher and Schott have a USC background and this would be a no brainer, they have to keep Bradford upright, they can release or move Jason Smith to G and Kalil coupled with Saffold will give them a solid pair of tackles, they have also bought in Wells at C.

7.Jaguars-

Justin Blackmon WR Ok St-

Jags would love this scenario, Gabbert needs a weapon and Blackmon fits well in their offense.

8.Dolphins-

Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame-

Yes he has slight character concerns and they just released Marshall, but because they released Marshall they need this pick, I think Philbin and Sherman are ready to give Matt Moore a chance and this pick gives him someone to throw. I have heard even Sherman is not that in love Tannehill. They might get a QB later, Floyd is just too hard to pass on here

9.Panthers-

Quinton Coples DE UNC-

they take the local product to improve their pass rush, Coples has been a bit inconsistent but when he puts it all together, he could be a great DE, they have needed pass rushing help since losing Peppers.

10.Bills

-Luke Kuechly LB BC-

they will most likely be moving to a 4-3, Kuechly has been kinda of forgotten, but is a really instinctive LB, playing behind Dareus and Williams, will be great for him.

11.Chiefs-

Reilly Reiff OT-Iowa-

Hard nosed lunch pail type of olineman, Cassel was not well protected, they could move Branden Albert to G, and have a good offensive line.

12.Seahawks-

Fletcher Cox DT Miss St-

Need an interior presence on the Dline, they like to move their lineman around and Cox can even play outside at end, ala Red Bryant.

13.Cardinals-

David DeCastro OG Stanford

Need interior help on the oline, Best G by far in the class, Whisenhunt wants to go to a ground and pound, they have Beanie and will get Williams back from injury, DeCastro will help blow open holes for them.

14.Cowboys-

Courtney Upshaw OLB Alabama-

Would be a great fit next to Ware, they did franchise Spencer, but he is not the answer and can groom Upshaw for a year. He brings a championship pedigree with him, which intrigue the Cowboys. Has speed and power.

15.Eagles-

Mark Barron S Alabama-

They have needed help in this area since Dawkins left. Barron stands out in a weak S class. He is a ballhawking, aggresive safety, would fit well with Philly, with DRC and Nnamdi pressing on the outside. Yes, they normally pass on S in the first round, but they shouldn't pass on Barron in this spot.

16.Jets-Stephen Hill WR Ga Tech-

I think they need a wideout that can stretch the field, Hill has size and blazing fast speed Hill ran a 4.36 forty at the combine. I just see the Jets being intrigued. Sanchez gets another weapon opposite Holmes.

17.Bengals-

Stephen Gilmore CB South Carolina-

They need a CB opposite Hall. They had no one last year, after losing Joseph (who btw went to S. Carolina) Gilmore has been rising, he has good size and quick to the ball. He would be nice fit in Cinncy, opposite Hall.

18.Chargers-

Johnathan Martin OT Stanford-

Part of Rivers struggles last year were due to teams getting alot of pressure against SD's oline. Martin provides an immediate upgrade. He is very athletic for his size and can also run block, something else SD had trouble doing. Most likely plays RT and could quietly be a pro bowl type player.

19.Bears-

Whitney Mercilus-DE Illinois

They want a de opposite Peppers, they were interested in Williams, but he was unaffordable. Mercilus is a bit of a one year wonder, but he wreaked havoc in the big ten last year. Can explode on the other side of Peppers, who normally faces double blockers.

20.Titans-

Nick Perry DE USC-

They have lost Jason Jones and need a pass rusher, Perry is bit underwhelming on tape but can develop into a star, if he stayed at USC he would of been a top ten pick next year. He just gets to learn a NFL defensive scheme a year early. Could be the steal of the draft. They would couple him with Derrick Morgan and have a set of two young raw pass rushers.

21.Bengals-

Kevin Zeitler G Wisconsin

Big need, Zeitler has size and can open holes in the ground game, along with protecting Dalton. They play in the North were Baltimore and Pittsburgh like to rush from all over the field.

22.Browns-

Janoris Jenkins CB-North Alabama-

Jenkins reunites with Haden, who he used to play with at Florida. He would fit well in Cleveland and is similar to Asante Samuel, only a little better. He has had character issues and without those he would be a top ten pick. Holmgren will take a chance on troubled players and I think they surprise here and get a CB opposite Haden.

23.Lions-

Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama-

Jim Schwartz would love to add a player like Kirkpatrick. They got killed by the Saints to the tune of 459 yards in the playoffs. Kirkpatrick would be good opposite Chris Houston

24.Steelers-

Kendall Reyes DE/DT UCONN-

They need youth in the front seven, Reyes has moved up boards, he would be nice in Pitt's 3-4. He can provide pressure has a five tech.

25.Broncos-

Michael Brockers DT LSU-

The Broncos have had a pourous run D. They need a DT that can get pressure and stuff the run. He can take up blockers for Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil. John Fox would love to get a prospect like Brockers

26.Texans-

Coby Fleener TE Stanford-

Owen Daniels and Fleener would make a nice two te set. They lost Joel Dressen who was a solid back up. Fleener would give Schaub a safety valve in the red zone and has teams double AJ, he can split the seam of the D. This would be a great recieving weapon for Houston.

27.Patriots-

Andre Branch DE/OLB Clemson

A staple of the Patriots hybrid D is to rush the passer, they gave QB's alot of time last year, which was part of their secondary struggles. Branch would be a nice fit, he can stand up in the 3-4 and put his hand in the dirt and play DE in the 4-3. Branch had 10.5 and can also ff's. Good fit for NE.

28.Packers-

Chandler Jones DE-Syracuse

I think Jones would be a good five tech, It was need for the Pack after losing Cullen Jenkins. Jones has tremendous length and will help take up blockers for GB OLB's, has well being able to rush the passer as well.

29.Ravens-

Cordy Glenn OG/OT UGA-

Great pick and a steal at this point, the Ravens can use someone they can play inside of out. He can power block really well and protect the QB. This would be great for Baltimore to add to their Oline depth, he can play next to Matt Birk and blow open holes for Ray Rice.

30.49ers-

Alshon Jeffery WR-South Carolina

Jeffery is a good possesion reciever, with better speed then most people think. He can move the chains and fit well with the Niners, they have bought in stop gaps like Randy Moss, who could even be released by the start of the season. Jeffery,Crabtree and Davis will be nice fits together for Alex Smith.

31.Patriots-

Dontari Poe DT/DE Memphis-

Poe was moving up boards after a good combine performance, until scouts looked at his tape where he looks average at times. He can play five tech,NT or DT in the 4-3, which would make him valuable to NE. They like to switch between 3-4 and 4-3, he might get in shape in NE and play at his hardest at 31.

32.Giants-

Donta Hightower ILB Alabama

Even with the signing of Rivers, I think they like Hightower. He would be great in the middle given the Giants a legit second line run stuffer, he is also quick enough to pressure the QB. Rivers,Hightower,Boley finally give the Giants a solid LB corps, and they have depth with Williams and Paysinger and Jones. Kiwi moves back to DE, which he should.

Nice work, bigblue. I did hear Frazier say glowing things about Claiborne, I think you might have me on that one. I see we both have Fleener going to the Texans, I agree, I think he's a great fit there. But I don't see 4 wideouts going in the first round, and I think Chandler Jones' length and pass rushing ability makes him a sure first rounder, you don't have him in the first, which I found surprising. I think if Chandler Jones is there with the 32nd pick I doubt we see Massie in Blue. Also, surprised you don't have Tannehill in the first at all. But nice job, I think you edged me out last season in your mock. I think I'm changing my 32nd pick, maybe to Massie, but just know that it won't be because of your mock!

Anyhow, I enjoyed your take on the first round.

Nice work, bigblue. I did hear Frazier say glowing things about Claiborne, I think you might have me on that one. I see we both have Fleener going to the Texans, I agree, I think he's a great fit there. But I don't see 4 wideouts going in the first round, and I think Chandler Jones' length and pass rushing ability makes him a sure first rounder, you don't have him in the first, which I found surprising. I think if Chandler Jones is there with the 32nd pick I doubt we see Massie in Blue. Also, surprised you don't have Tannehill in the first at all. But nice job, I think you edged me out last season in your mock. I think I'm changing my 32nd pick, maybe to Massie, but just know that it won't be because of your mock!

Anyhow, I enjoyed your take on the first round.

Thanks, I left some good prospects available in round two, I am not sure about Tannehill, I don't think of him like you do and Arizona might be the last place, he goes, theyseem committed to Kolb, if he does fall like that someone will come up in late round one to get him. I still have Konz and Zeitler from Wisconsin, on the board, they could be fits for us too. I tried to make mine fancy by posting videos of prospects too, since I know alot of people on here don't follow college that much, but it wouldn't let me. I think there will be many surprises, after the first two obvious choices. I am sure I will have alot wrong.

Good job to anyone who decides to take the time to do this. I don't think there's ever been a draft where it's more obvious who the first 6 picks are. But I have a couple of things.

I think by this time next year, Michael Floyd will be the better wide receiver than Justin Blackmon.

Jim, I thought you let Upshaw slide down a long way to 31. There's talk he's a potential bust, but I still think he doesn't last past at least 20.

I think both of you have Coples too high. I think he slides way down, there's a lot of people down on him, including Mayock and mayock pretty much knows his shit.

I think the Giants will reach slightly and go with Doug Martin in the 1st. Because I don't think they'll want to wait until late in the 2nd to get a running back. And I think Martin is going to be special. He's like a bigger Bradshaw, and if this draft was 5 years ago, when there was more emphasis on drafting running backs high, he'd be a mid first rounder at least.

Good job to anyone who decides to take the time to do this. I don't think there's ever been a draft where it's more obvious who the first 6 picks are. But I have a couple of things.

I think by this time next year, Michael Floyd will be the better wide receiver than Justin Blackmon.

Jim, I thought you let Upshaw slide down a long way to 31. There's talk he's a potential bust, but I still think he doesn't last past at least 20.

I think both of you have Coples too high. I think he slides way down, there's a lot of people down on him, including Mayock and mayock pretty much knows his shit.

I think the Giants will reach slightly and go with Doug Martin in the 1st. Because I don't think they'll want to wait until late in the 2nd to get a running back. And I think Martin is going to be special. He's like a bigger Bradshaw, and if this draft was 5 years ago, when there was more emphasis on drafting running backs high, he'd be a mid first rounder at least.

I was just thinking about Martin and changing my pick there, I thought about how I am not that high on Miller and go back and forth with Wilson. I think I might rather have Martin and someone like Zebrie Sanders, who I mocked to us in round two the other day, then Massie and Wilson. That's if we go OT and RB combo in the first two rounds.

Yeah, the only no-brainer pick for me with the Giants is if either Fleener or Chandler Jones falls to 32. I think the Giants run to the podium in either scenario. But with both gone earlier in round 1 in my mock, it's a tough call. I think Doug Martin is a Giants kind of player. I think Wilson is going to be a dynamic playmaker, something special, and I think Kendall Wright is a great fit in our offense. However, I don't think any of them represents a value that isn't significantly better than what we could find at the end of round 2.

I feel strongly about Upshaw's slide. I think he's the 4th, maybe 5th best DE prospect in this draft, I really do. He had an underwhelming pro day, too, and is smaller than guys like Perry and Jones. In particular, I think Chandler Jones is going to surprise with how early he's taken. Remember the NFL is a copy-cat league, and Chandler Jones' body type compares favorably to JPP.

And Coples REALLY compares to JPP. I thought he might slide a bit, and truthfully, where I have him in my mock, I feel that is a slide for his ability. He could be a guy taken in the top 7 picks with his size and athleticism.

Yeah, the only no-brainer pick for me with the Giants is if either Fleener or Chandler Jones falls to 32. I think the Giants run to the podium in either scenario. But with both gone earlier in round 1 in my mock, it's a tough call. I think Doug Martin is a Giants kind of player. I think Wilson is going to be a dynamic playmaker, something special, and I think Kendall Wright is a great fit in our offense. However, I don't think any of them represents a value that isn't significantly better than what we could find at the end of round 2.

I feel strongly about Upshaw's slide. I think he's the 4th, maybe 5th best DE prospect in this draft, I really do. He had an underwhelming pro day, too, and is smaller than guys like Perry and Jones. In particular, I think Chandler Jones is going to surprise with how early he's taken. Remember the NFL is a copy-cat league, and Chandler Jones' body type compares favorably to JPP.

And Coples REALLY compares to JPP. I thought he might slide a bit, and truthfully, where I have him in my mock, I feel that is a slide for his ability. He could be a guy taken in the top 7 picks with his size and athleticism.

Jim, first off you put a lot of good points out there. The reason I look at martin is because if we don't get him at 32, which to be honest is almost like being in the second, there's no doubt he won't be there by the time we get to 64. And I think by that time martin will be the best athlete available which is the giants main criteria

Jim, first off you put a lot of good points out there. The reason I look at martin is because if we don't get him at 32, which to be honest is almost like being in the second, there's no doubt he won't be there by the time we get to 64. And I think by that time martin will be the best athlete available which is the giants main criteria

Yeah, I just read a report about Kendall Wright that is pretty pathetic. I knew his 40 time was disappointing at the Pro Day (4.61), but I don't put a ton of stock on 40 times, but then I read about his body-fat %... Check it:

According to Pro Football Weekly, Baylor WR Kendall Wright is "parked in the third round" on a number of teams' draft boards after an unimpressive offseason.
There were rumors of an offseason weight gain for Wright, and his forty time at the Combine was slower than anticipated. "Randall Cobb was a lot better," one NFL evaluator said. "Wright is nowhere near as good with the ball in his hands and (Cobb) lasted 'til the back of the second (round). People are getting snookered (by Wright)." Wright managed only four bench-press reps, and Pro Football Weekly reports his body fat was 16 percent. Per PFW, it's "one of the highest percentages for a receiver in the past decade."
Apr 19 - 5:50 PM

This is obviously good news for guys like Alshon Jeffery. Pretty pathetic for Wright. I got that from Rotoworld.com, by the way.

Bigblue -- same thing I mentioned to Jim about Hightower...don't see him getting past the Steelers if he's there.

Jim brought up a good point about Chandler Jones...he's moving up draft boards and he was already a first rounder.

Also, with the 49ers bringing in Manningham too, I don't see them going WR in the first. They could go OLine, backup QB, or DB. Crabtree, Manningham, and Moss...pretty good 3 WR set as it is..

I changed alot of picks, with the reports of Wright (McShay was saying this morning, how he might drop) He was bit overrated even before the work ethic issues that have come up and the slow 40. He is not consistent with his hands, so he doesn't fit the typical slot and he is not a good enough route runner to stay on the outside. He seemed to put up numbers only because he played in the spread and was asked to pretty much just run downfield. I have watched more on Wright and from what I have seen and been hearing, I am way off him.

Bigblue -- same thing I mentioned to Jim about Hightower...don't see him getting past the Steelers if he's there.

Jim brought up a good point about Chandler Jones...he's moving up draft boards and he was already a first rounder.

Also, with the 49ers bringing in Manningham too, I don't see them going WR in the first. They could go OLine, backup QB, or DB. Crabtree, Manningham, and Moss...pretty good 3 WR set as it is..

the Steelers have been drafting LB's the past few years to replace Farrior thats why they made him expendable. I now have Hightower dropping to us. I read this the other day and thought about how much I would like it.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/4/18/2957175/new-york-giants-2012-nfl-draft-rumors-donta-hightower-visits

I think Mario is the 3rd guy in SF, they have Kaepernick at QB and they have signed Josh Johnson (which I said they should do) They are no way going QB. I can see G if Zeitler is there or they could pick Konz C/G, I have them getting a G in round two though. I think Jeffery would provide them a red zone target, he also has quickness and go over the top to snatch passes. They might go Fleener, since Harbaugh likes 2 TE sets, but he not there on my board.

Wow, I see you have Chandler Jones in the first round, now, and Dont'a Hightower to the Giants. The one thing that I'm worried about with my mock that you have is Claiborne going #3 to the Vikes. That changes the whole draft for me. I think in that case the Browns will take Kalil, and I think Richardson falls a bit, maybe to the Rams at #7. I think you're kinda crazy thinking that Kalil will fall all the way to #6, though. I love this, though, less than a week to go. It will be fun to see how we compare again, bigblue, and Pdouble has one up, too, so maybe he takes both of us.

Wow, I see you have Chandler Jones in the first round, now, and Dont'a Hightower to the Giants. The one thing that I'm worried about with my mock that you have is Claiborne going #3 to the Vikes. That changes the whole draft for me. I think in that case the Browns will take Kalil, and I think Richardson falls a bit, maybe to the Rams at #7. I think you're kinda crazy thinking that Kalil will fall all the way to #6, though. I love this, though, less than a week to go. It will be fun to see how we compare again, bigblue, and Pdouble has one up, too, so maybe he takes both of us.

Had to think about it more, the Browns could take him and move him to RT and then have Thomas and Kalil has great bookends. I think surprises start at 3. I am hoping the Colts and Redskins don't use the entire clock , btw LOL. I thought the Packers needing a five tech with the loss of Jenkins last year, they also need a OLB opposite Matthews, but that seems like a deep enough class, they could get one in the second. I like Branch more then Hightower to the Pats, Wright after teams watched tape and some of the stuff that has come up is gonna fall and that kinda changed some of my picks.

the Steelers have been drafting LB's the past few years to replace Farrior thats why they made him expendable. I now have Hightower dropping to us. I read this the other day and thought about how much I would like it.

http://www.bigbluevi...ightower-visits

I think Mario is the 3rd guy in SF, they have Kaepernick at QB and they have signed Josh Johnson (which I said they should do) They are no way going QB. I can see G if Zeitler is there or they could pick Konz C/G, I have them getting a G in round two though. I think Jeffery would provide them a red zone target, he also has quickness and go over the top to snatch passes. They might go Fleener, since Harbaugh likes 2 TE sets, but he not there on my board.

Good points about their QB situation. I had forgotten about Kaepernick. I still think that their WRs don't need as much help as perhaps some other areas. Fleener is an interesting projection here too. But we're in agreement that it's the offense they should be upgrading.

Still considering changing pick #32. I also agree with Bigblue25 I have Kuechly going to low, but not sure where to mock him higher. Anyhow, put me in the camp that thinks Doug Martin is very much on the table at #32. Here's some highlights, and some regular game film:

These are his reps in probably the best defense he played last year, Georgia:

Love 1:41 on that last one.

Against Arizona State in the Las Vegas Bowl: