SportsWrath

My Complete FIRST ROUND Mock

Allstarjim

Fleener is going to establish himself in the upper echelon of TE's in a very short amount of time. Bennett is only on a 1 year deal, too. The Giants will be drafting a TE between tonight and the weekend. Might as well be the best one, if we can get him.

I don't understand this line of thinking.... if the guy performs as well as he's expected to, who's to say we can't resign him? The Giants maybe drafting a TE who won't start... I do see us going OL (unless Jones is there at DE), RB, DT, WR, LB (Burfict).

I don't understand this line of thinking.... if the guy performs as well as he's expected to, who's to say we can't resign him? The Giants maybe drafting a TE who won't start... I do see us going OL (unless Jones is there at DE), RB, DT, WR, LB (Burfict).

Fleener would start over Martellus "The Savior" Bennett.

The thinking is that it's not guaranteed he's going to pan out. If they had a ton of confidence in Bennett, he would've gotten more than a 1 year deal. Also, I agree with Storm that Fleener is the better player. By the way, I'm changing my pick for the Giants for the final time. This was the toughest Giants pick to mock in a long time. I think a group of players are close in their evaluations:

RB Doug Martin

OT Mike Adams

OT Bobby Massie

S Harrison Smith

LB Shea McClellin

DT Devon Still

DT Jerel Worthy

WR Rueben Randle

Out of the guys available in my mock, you can make a case for all of them. I almost mocked Doug Martin several times, but I think there's too much value at RB at the end of the 2nd and possibly 3rd to take one in the first.

Mike Adams issues with the marijuana use and lying about it is going to have him slide, as well as the very poor showing at the combine. Completely unprepared and you can't use a first rounder that doesn't take his big interview with NFL teams seriously.

Bobby Massie I feel is a good choice but not a good value at 32. With the Giants having Beatty, Diehl, Brewer, and the addition of Locklear, I'm not sure how many OT's they can carry. I think there is room for a OT to be drafted and put on the roster, but honestly, you really want your first round pick to be able to reasonably project him to contribute on the field in a relatively short amount of time. You can't say that with Massie.

McClellin is a great player but I think he's the best fit as a 3-4 edge rusher. You don't see him in coverage much in his game films, and Casserly on NFLNetwork projects him as a DE should he go to a 4-3. I don't think he'd be the kind of DE we would want.

Devon Still is another guy I really do like and believe he'll make a team very happy. But we have Linval, Canty, and Austin coming back, and I just don't know how much he'd be able to contribute. I do believe there is a strong possibility he could be the pick tonight. I like him, I think he's a good fit, but I'm still looking for more bang for my buck at #32, with more value at DT that can be had a little later, as well.

Jerel Worthy is another very big man who could be Linval's backup very early. But I like Still a little more, but Worthy is another player that could be the pick tonight that wouldn't be a bad choice based on talent.

Rueben Randle I'm very high on and I think he's a guy that will go before other receivers that are getting more press, like Stephen Hill and especially Kendall Wright. I entertained the idea of mocking him to the Giants at #32 but I just couldn't see it. It could happen, but there are other receivers later that look good to me.

My pick for the Giants tonight is Harrison Smith. I like him because he's big and fast, just like the Giants like their safeties. He can play in the box and can be that 3rd Safety that has been valuable to Fewell in recent years. I also think he represents good value at 32, and there is a steeper decline at that position later. This guy plays the run so well and is big enough to be able to cover the TE's. He's a strong choice at a position the Giants have placed a ton of importance on. I know he was Peter King's mocked pick to the Giants, but it's one that makes sense. Mostly I think King is a windbag, but I'll give him some credit on this pick.

my final guess for tonight is either d-lineman or wr. with a distinct trade-down possibility.

I am thinking about this more and more, especially if only 3 QBs go in Luck, RG3, Tannehill....and Tannehill goes #8 to the Dolphins...I think there'd be quite a few teams ready to move up from the 2nd to grab the 4th QB, whomever that may be...problem is, with NE having two picks at the end of the first, both of which come before us, they'd be better suited to trade down on one of those picks.

It's a possibility if someone falls in love with Doug Martin or Brandon Weeden. If Tannehill slides past pick 31, it becomes an even bigger possibility. I certianly wouldn't mind an extra 2nd and probably an extra 4th, at minimum. Maybe a 2nd next year, too.

If Tannehill drops to us at 32, I think it's all but a certainty that our pick goes up on the auction block. I think he makes too much sense for Miami, which is precisely why I think Miami may go a different direction.

But falling from 8 to 32 is quite a long way and again, with the Patriots having 27 and 31, they'll have two chances to do the same trade down that we would entertain.

1.Colts-

Andrew Luck Qb Stanford-

Seemed like this was gonna be the pick for the past 6 months, pretty obvious, some say maybe best QB they have ever seen on film, coming out of college

2.Redskins-

Robert Griffin III QB Baylor-

Traded the farm for him, but will be worth it. Don't worry about McNabb, he seems to need some Summer eve for his Vag. Shanahan will do just fine with RG3 and he wanted a QB he can put his fingerprints on

3.Vikings-

Morris Claiborne CB LSU-

Talk is they are not that in love with Kalil and they ranked dead in every single defensive passing category. Claiborne provides an immediate upgrade and too me is way better then last years LSU DB Peterson. this may be a bit of a stunner, but Fraizer is a Defensive guy and will want to improve that side of the ball. Maybe the Vikings give him another season with this pick. The reason Mathieu put up numbers and was a heisman candidate was pretty simple, everybody threw at him and stayed away from Claiborne, some scouts think the next Champ Bailey

4.Browns-

Trent Richardson RB Alabama

Great pick, will provide a spark for this offense, that is much needed. Way too high for Tannehill, they will bring in a QB later, but should give McCoy a shot

5.Bucs-

Melvin Ingram DE South Carolina-

With Claiborne and Richardson gone, this is the pick, they have spent alot of early picks on the DLine with no avail, still only ranked dead last in sacks, yes Clayborne and Bowers were only rookies, but adding Ingram into that rotation will immediately improve that area.

6.Rams-

Matt Kalil OT USC-

Fisher and Schott have a USC background and this would be a no brainer, they have to keep Bradford upright, they can release or move Jason Smith to G and Kalil coupled with Saffold will give them a solid pair of tackles, they have also bought in Wells at C.

7.Jaguars-

Justin Blackmon WR Ok St-

Jags would love this scenario, Gabbert needs a weapon and Blackmon fits well in their offense.

8.Dolphins-

Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame-

Yes he has slight character concerns and they just released Marshall, but because they released Marshall they need this pick, I think Philbin and Sherman are ready to give Matt Moore a chance and this pick gives him someone to throw. I have heard even Sherman is not that in love Tannehill. They might get a QB later, Floyd is just too hard to pass on here

9.Panthers-

Quinton Coples DE UNC-

they take the local product to improve their pass rush, Coples has been a bit inconsistent but when he puts it all together, he could be a great DE, they have needed pass rushing help since losing Peppers.

10.Bills

-Luke Kuechly LB BC-

they will most likely be moving to a 4-3, Kuechly has been kinda of forgotten, but is a really instinctive LB, playing behind Dareus and Williams, will be great for him.

11.Chiefs-

Reilly Reiff OT-Iowa-

Hard nosed lunch pail type of olineman, Cassel was not well protected, they could move Branden Albert to G, and have a good offensive line.

12.Seahawks-

Fletcher Cox DT Miss St-

Need an interior presence on the Dline, they like to move their lineman around and Cox can even play outside at end, ala Red Bryant.

13.Cardinals-

David DeCastro OG Stanford

Need interior help on the oline, Best G by far in the class, Whisenhunt wants to go to a ground and pound, they have Beanie and will get Williams back from injury, DeCastro will help blow open holes for them.

14.Cowboys-

Courtney Upshaw OLB Alabama-

Would be a great fit next to Ware, they did franchise Spencer, but he is not the answer and can groom Upshaw for a year. He brings a championship pedigree with him, which intrigue the Cowboys. Has speed and power.

15.Eagles-

Mark Barron S Alabama-

They have needed help in this area since Dawkins left. Barron stands out in a weak S class. He is a ballhawking, aggresive safety, would fit well with Philly, with DRC and Nnamdi pressing on the outside. Yes, they normally pass on S in the first round, but they shouldn't pass on Barron in this spot.

16.Jets-Stephen Hill WR Ga Tech-

I think they need a wideout that can stretch the field, Hill has size and blazing fast speed Hill ran a 4.36 forty at the combine. I just see the Jets being intrigued. Sanchez gets another weapon opposite Holmes.

17.Bengals-

Stephen Gilmore CB South Carolina-

They need a CB opposite Hall. They had no one last year, after losing Joseph (who btw went to S. Carolina) Gilmore has been rising, he has good size and quick to the ball. He would be nice fit in Cinncy, opposite Hall.

18.Chargers-

Johnathan Martin OT Stanford-

Part of Rivers struggles last year were due to teams getting alot of pressure against SD's oline. Martin provides an immediate upgrade. He is very athletic for his size and can also run block, something else SD had trouble doing. Most likely plays RT and could quietly be a pro bowl type player.

19.Bears-

Whitney Mercilus-DE Illinois

They want a de opposite Peppers, they were interested in Williams, but he was unaffordable. Mercilus is a bit of a one year wonder, but he wreaked havoc in the big ten last year. Can explode on the other side of Peppers, who normally faces double blockers.

20.Titans-

Nick Perry DE USC-

They have lost Jason Jones and need a pass rusher, Perry is bit underwhelming on tape but can develop into a star, if he stayed at USC he would of been a top ten pick next year. He just gets to learn a NFL defensive scheme a year early. Could be the steal of the draft. They would couple him with Derrick Morgan and have a set of two young raw pass rushers.

21.Bengals-

Kevin Zeitler G Wisconsin

Big need, Zeitler has size and can open holes in the ground game, along with protecting Dalton. They play in the North were Baltimore and Pittsburgh like to rush from all over the field.

22.Browns-

Janoris Jenkins CB-North Alabama-

Jenkins reunites with Haden, who he used to play with at Florida. He would fit well in Cleveland and is similar to Asante Samuel, only a little better. He has had character issues and without those he would be a top ten pick. Holmgren will take a chance on troubled players and I think they surprise here and get a CB opposite Haden.

23.Lions-

Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama-

Jim Schwartz would love to add a player like Kirkpatrick. They got killed by the Saints to the tune of 459 yards in the playoffs. Kirkpatrick would be good opposite Chris Houston

24.Steelers-

Kendall Reyes DE/DT UCONN-

They need youth in the front seven, Reyes has moved up boards, he would be nice in Pitt's 3-4. He can provide pressure has a five tech.

25.Broncos-

Michael Brockers DT LSU-

The Broncos have had a pourous run D. They need a DT that can get pressure and stuff the run. He can take up blockers for Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil. John Fox would love to get a prospect like Brockers

26.Texans-

Coby Fleener TE Stanford-

Owen Daniels and Fleener would make a nice two te set. They lost Joel Dressen who was a solid back up. Fleener would give Schaub a safety valve in the red zone and has teams double AJ, he can split the seam of the D. This would be a great recieving weapon for Houston.

27.Patriots-

Andre Branch DE/OLB Clemson

A staple of the Patriots hybrid D is to rush the passer, they gave QB's alot of time last year, which was part of their secondary struggles. Branch would be a nice fit, he can stand up in the 3-4 and put his hand in the dirt and play DE in the 4-3. Branch had 10.5 and can also ff's. Good fit for NE.

28.Packers-

Chandler Jones DE-Syracuse

I think Jones would be a good five tech, It was need for the Pack after losing Cullen Jenkins. Jones has tremendous length and will help take up blockers for GB OLB's, has well being able to rush the passer as well.

29.Ravens-

Cordy Glenn OG/OT UGA-

Great pick and a steal at this point, the Ravens can use someone they can play inside of out. He can power block really well and protect the QB. This would be great for Baltimore to add to their Oline depth, he can play next to Matt Birk and blow open holes for Ray Rice.

30.49ers-

Alshon Jeffery WR-South Carolina

Jeffery is a good possesion reciever, with better speed then most people think. He can move the chains and fit well with the Niners, they have bought in stop gaps like Randy Moss, who could even be released by the start of the season. Jeffery,Crabtree and Davis will be nice fits together for Alex Smith.

31.Patriots-

Dontari Poe DT/DE Memphis-

Poe was moving up boards after a good combine performance, until scouts looked at his tape where he looks average at times. He can play five tech,NT or DT in the 4-3, which would make him valuable to NE. They like to switch between 3-4 and 4-3, he might get in shape in NE and play at his hardest at 31.

32.Giants-

Donta Hightower ILB Alabama

Even with the signing of Rivers, I think they like Hightower. He would be great in the middle given the Giants a legit second line run stuffer, he is also quick enough to pressure the QB. Rivers,Hightower,Boley finally give the Giants a solid LB corps, and they have depth with Williams and Paysinger and Jones. Kiwi moves back to DE, which he should.

Well I didn't do too bad had the obvious ones, I should of put Kalil to Minnesota, I take the bait hook line and sinker. Had Zeitler to Cinncy, had Hightower to NE but changed it, Had Blackmon to the Jags, also the Jets took Hill just not where I had them taking him, also Cox went 12th but to the Eagles. Had of alot of positions just not the right players.

Well I didn't do too bad had the obvious ones, I should of put Kalil to Minnesota, I take the bait hook line and sinker. Had Zeitler to Cinncy, had Hightower to NE but changed it, Had Blackmon to the Jags, also the Jets took Hill just not where I had them taking him, also Cox went 12th but to the Eagles. Had of alot of positions just not the right players.

I ranked 3 players that the Giants may take in this order: Jones (NE)... Hightower (NE)... Martin (TB). Safe to say I was livid when NE took Hightower... I hope we smash them again and again. :angry:

Wilson > Hightower

I'm sold, Jerry Reese is crazy, I literally love every pick and even his UDFA signing!! Janzen Jackson! Wow!

I'm not sure I'd compare a RB to a LB... and while I'm very excited about Wilson.. moreso than I was the other day.. I think Hightower is a beast of his own... an Urlacher type LB... and while I think our Running Game definitely needed an upgrade, I'm not completely sure our LB core is up to speed only in the sense that I want dominant defense.. not that bend but don't break bs.. I want dominance... when the game is on the line I want to know our D will suffocate the other team.. will get us that much needed 3 and out... etc.

I ranked 3 players that the Giants may take in this order: Jones (NE)... Hightower (NE)... Martin (TB). Safe to say I was livid when NE took Hightower... I hope we smash them again and again. :angry:

I am actually happier with Wilson, I don't think Hightower was a fit for us. I wanted to change, but I never did, I was gonna change to it Martin, who I think we would of taken if TB didn't jump in front of us. Hightower is a much better fit for NE, he is not that good in the open field and can't drop, I do not think he would of been a fit in zone and not in a 43. Like Osi I think we are content with our LB's we got last year, Williams,Jones,Paysinger,Herzlich and then we picked up Rivers. I just seen reports we were interested in Hightower I am not sure if it was a smoke screen for a team to move up to 31 if he was there then, which would of prevented TB from moving there and taking Martin.

Yeah, I agree bigblue25, I thought Hightower could be a great player in a 3-4, which is what he'll do in New England. I was not a fan of him in our system. I really did believe that Hightower was either going to land in Pittsburgh or New England. I mocked him to New England, not at the pick they took him at because of the trades, but nevertheless, they got him. I'm shocked that Pittsburgh passed on him, really, although DeCastro was a good value pick at their spot.

I really think although my mock didn't match all the teams and players, that it was pretty good. I did get Harrison Smith into the first round, and I did get the top 4 picks with their teams. The Claiborne/Blackmon switch on my board was surprising. I thought Claiborne was the best defensive player in the draft, I don't see how you pass on a talent on the level of Revis in favor of a WR. And even though Tampa came away with 2 very good players in the first round, I thought they should've drafted Claiborne, they need a corner, especially with Talib probably doing some hard time in the near future.

With all the trades it really was unrealistic to get all the teams to the players. I also liked in my mock I had Eagles going DT, with Brockers... but with Cox still on the board, and them moving up to 12, that was the pick, so they still ended up drafting a highly rated DT.

The one that nobody predicted was Bruce Irvin, who isn't a 4-3 DE, and isn't a 3 down linebacker. WTF are they thinking over there? If they put him at DE in their 4-3, he's going to be dominated at around 245 against the OT's of the league, and I expect teams are going to run right at him. So much wrong with that pick, it's crazy. You can't predict stupid. There is no doubt in my mind that Irvin would've been there at pick 15 in the 2nd round, and he would've been a reach there with his character issues. They needed a pass rusher but they could've gotten a true 4-3 end like Chandler Jones at that spot, Coples, really, they had the pick of the litter as far as DE's go as not a single one of them were off the board yet when they picked, and yet they pick a guy that could've very well have gone at the bottom of the 2nd or in the 3rd round. Unreal. The fan grade they received at NFL.com was a C, but to me it's an F. You look at their draft and I don't think they did a damn thing to improve that team. Maybe Bobby Wagner will pan out and rescue this thing for them. But I'm really glad I'm not a Seahawks fan.

I am actually happier with Wilson, I don't think Hightower was a fit for us. I wanted to change, but I never did, I was gonna change to it Martin, who I think we would of taken if TB didn't jump in front of us. Hightower is a much better fit for NE, he is not that good in the open field and can't drop, I do not think he would of been a fit in zone and not in a 43. Like Osi I think we are content with our LB's we got last year, Williams,Jones,Paysinger,Herzlich and then we picked up Rivers. I just seen reports we were interested in Hightower I am not sure if it was a smoke screen for a team to move up to 31 if he was there then, which would of prevented TB from moving there and taking Martin.

I trust your analysis as always. Can we agree on "Fuck New England :angry:"?

Me personally, I stopped hating New England after 2007, then hated them again for a few weeks this year, now don't hate them anymore.

I guess imitation is the ultimate form of flattery... their first pick told me they wanted a JPP.