SportsWrath

Position battles to be decided tonight

Allstarjim

OK, so since the final preseason game is all about resting starters and evaluating players for the very bottom of the depth chart, tonight is going to decide some big position battles on the team, notably:

1. The third receiver role (Domenik Hixon, Victor Cruz, Devin Thomas)

My pick: Hixon

2. The starting FB (Bear Pascoe, Henry Hynoski)

My pick: Pascoe (I want Hynoski to win the job though and start right away)

3. Nickel Corner (Michael Coe, Brian Williams, Antrel Rolle?)

My pick: Coe

4. Kicker and Punter (Lawrence Tynes, Rhys Lloyd, Steve Weatherford, Matt Dodge

My picks: Rhys Lloyd (please God), Matt Dodge (I'm a believer)

5. Backup QB (Sage Rosenfels, David Carr)

My pick: Carr

Watch for these battles tonight. I really hope Rhys is starting, I haven't heard anything about how Tynes is doing recently. It would be great if Rhys got another chance to put some doubt in TC's head.

Nas because he can fill the void possibly since he's played CB at Miami and the pro level as an 8th overall pick from The U.

And my battles...

WR: starting from 3 it's Hixon, Thomas, Cruz, Jernigan. Barren on PUP

TE it's Beckum, Ballard Coets

Tollefson gets 4th DE

Williams, Burnett or Rolle into the nickel.

Herzlich and Williams stay, Cuts are Sintim, Dillard

Darell Scott and Dj Ware for the 3-4 in RBs

Carr over Sage

Perilous has a chance

Rocky over Linval?

Sure Nas. He was drafted as a corner and used to start at the position early in his career. With the injuries at the position, the talk is having him cover the slot receiver in nickel packages only. I think it may happen from time to time, but I suspect that someone else will get the majority of that duty, either Coe, Brian Williams, or a yet to be discovered/acquired CB.

Sure Nas. He was drafted as a corner and used to start at the position early in his career. With the injuries at the position, the talk is having him cover the slot receiver in nickel packages only. I think it may happen from time to time, but I suspect that someone else will get the majority of that duty, either Coe, Brian Williams, or a yet to be discovered/acquired CB.

So who will start at safety? Grant?

Nas because he can fill the void possibly since he's played CB at Miami and the pro level as an 8th overall pick from The U.

And my battles...

Tollefson gets 4th DE

Carr over Sage

Perilous has a chance

Rocky over Linval?

Yeah, I really see Jernigan buried on the depth chart as a receiver. Why aren't you giving Coe some love? He's played well, but you see Burnett as the nickel before Coe? I don't think so.

Periloux is going to go to the practice squad, I think... and I believe he's pretty safe there.

Linval is the starter, Rocky is a rotational DT and I don't even believe that is up in the air or a competition at this point. It's Linval and Canty as the starting DTs.

I forgot about 3rd and 4th string running backs. I agree with your picks, but Ware over Scott on the depth chart. I think Brown will be cut.

As far as the linebackers, I think Herzlich needs another good game tonight to secure a spot, and make a contribution on specials. I think Dillard gets cut either way. Last year 8 linebackers made the team on final cutdown day, not even counting DeOssie. I think only 7 makes it this year:

Boley, Goff, Kiwanuka, Paysinger, and Jones I believe are the most safe. I don't think Sintim is getting cut, I think there is hope that he can still perform. That leaves me with one more, between Tracy, Herzlich, Jacquian Williams, and Phillip Dillard. I'll take Herzlich out of that group, and if it's 8 guys, give me Tracy. I think they'll try to pass Williams off on the PS. I do recognize I can be very wrong about Sintim. In that case, I think that bodes well for Tracy and Herzlich.

And my battles...

Tollefson gets 4th DE

Carr over Sage

Perilous has a chance

Rocky over Linval?

Linval is looking great and I think they'll give him the starting role. Either way, he'll split a lot of time with Bernard. They are very high on Linval.

I think Coe has a shot to be the nickel Im just not sold on him but he probly had the best chance now that I think about since he's been with the team for over a year.

What about Brian Jackson?!?! Where had this guy been? Didn't the Jets like him?

I think Coe has a shot to be the nickel Im just not sold on him but he probly had the best chance now that I think about since he's been with the team for over a year.

I think it was Brian Williams (Atlanta) we signed, not Jackson. BBI has Jackson listed on the depth chart (depth chart), but I think they made a typo and they mean Williams link

Couldn't agree more about Carr. The cap savings on dumping Rosenfels alone makes it a no-brainer.

Don't think we have the third TE on the roster yet.

Agree that Dillard is gone--Herzlich and Jones are both better. Don't know about Sintim, though: not that I think he's worth a damn.

Bernard over Joseph? No fucking way. Especially with Austin out for the year.

4. Kicker and Punter (Lawrence Tynes, Rhys Lloyd, Steve Weatherford, Matt Dodge

My picks: Rhys Lloyd (please God), Matt Dodge (I'm a believer)

Jim, I'm very with you on this one. I think Dodge is gonna be fantastic. The only thing is at the end of the day he's yet to play well in the regular season and you have to know if it's worth taking special teams risks for the chance to have a great young punter when you have an excellent veteran like Weatherford there.

But I'm firmly on the Dodge bandwagon.

-Z

Jim, I'm very with you on this one. I think Dodge is gonna be fantastic. The only thing is at the end of the day he's yet to play well in the regular season and you have to know if it's worth taking special teams risks for the chance to have a great young punter when you have an excellent veteran like Weatherford there.

But I'm firmly on the Dodge bandwagon.

-Z

I was never one of those who bashed him for that kick.. yes the kick shouldn't have gone to Jackson but he was just the last straw in a series of fuck ups. I felt bad for the kid and didn't think he'd make it.. So count me in as one of those who's firmly on Dodge's bandwagon.

I was never one of those who bashed him for that kick.. yes the kick shouldn't have gone to Jackson but he was just the last straw in a series of fuck ups. I felt bad for the kid and didn't think he'd make it.. So count me in as one of those who's firmly on Dodge's bandwagon.

That play was just the diarrhea icing on the shit-cake of a season that Dodge had, though.....

I was one who bashed him every time he made a mistake. Still, I have faith in him that he's got those rookie hiccups out of his system.

I met a guy in Buffalo while eating at a bar at a TGI Fridays and got talking football and trading jabs. As a Giants fan, I loved the superbowl when we beat the Bills and held my breath as the Norwood kick floated through the air, but not through the uprights. For me, it was celebration all night long, but for Buffalo fans, they went went home broken and pissed. Of course, as a Giants fan, I had to bring up Norwood's missed field goal and thank the guy (being the bit of an asshole I can be). He laughed and then told me a story.

He told me a story about Scott Norwood, the Bills kicker who lost the superbowl to the Giants by missing a field goal at the end of the game

He said Norwood was ashamed of himself and literally afraid to show his face in Buffalo for several years after that missed field goal and then one day out of the clear blue, he went into a bar he used to frequent in Buffalo. Instead of being screamed at and trashed, the guys at the bar gathered around him and patted him on the back and bought him beers all night and told him he was always welcome in Buffalo. I thought that was class act by the Bills fans. They are pretty familiar with with broken hearts and love of football.

Bottom line: ya gotta let bygones be bygones (unless it happens again and then no dice)

I'm not buying Matt Dodge shit.

Jerry Reese and Coughlin dropped the ball when they should have realized "HEY, THIS DOUCHE MIGHT COST US A GAME"

Between dropped snaps, helicopters for kicks and fucking up the holds on field goals...just get him off the team.

I'm not buying Matt Dodge shit.

Jerry Reese and Coughlin dropped the ball when they should have realized "HEY, THIS DOUCHE MIGHT COST US A GAME"

Between dropped snaps, helicopters for kicks and fucking up the holds on field goals...just get him off the team.

You'll see, in exchange for that year of mediocre-terrible punting we'll have 20 years of excellence from Dodge. Or a different team will if we go the safe (smart?) route in Weatherford.

Though for sure, there's no questioning he was absolutely god-awful last year in every single way.

-Z

You'll see, in exchange for that year of mediocre-terrible punting we'll have 20 years of excellence from Dodge. Or a different team will if we go the safe (smart?) route in Weatherford.

Though for sure, there's no questioning he was absolutely god-awful last year in every single way.

-Z

No, you can't guarantee 20 years from Dodge..you can't see the future. Yeah, he looks great in games that mean dick..but I have no doubt when they start counting...this guy will start putting up lame ducks.

No, you can't guarantee 20 years from Dodge..you can't see the future. Yeah, he looks great in games that mean dick..but I have no doubt when they start counting...this guy will start putting up lame ducks.

I hear ya loud and clear...you have all the leverage in this argument...dude has one full NFL season under his belt and he completely sucked for that season.

I just feel like his problems were mostly if not entirely mental, and it's my hunch that he can and will overcome that. Just a hunch though, I'm ain't guaranteeing squat. That's why I keep saying that while I like Dodge and think he'll put it together, I'm not sure a team with playoff aspirations could rationally pick him over Weatherford.

-Z