SportsWrath

Giants Free Agent Steve Smith To Visit Team Early This Week

Mr. P

9872425-large.jpg

All has been quiet on the Steve Smith free-agency front so far. Given his injury situation after suffering cartilage damage in his knee late last year, the wide receiver hasn't signed or gone on any visits.

Until now. And the first stop will be a familiar one.

Smith is scheduled to fly to Jersey from California and meet with the Giants early this week. He will catch up with the front office and the coaching staff, get a sense of where everything stands financially and perhaps provide an update on his medical situation.

"We're going to see where he is in the process," Smith's agent, Ben Dogra, said by phone this evening. "The good news is we have time. If Steve goes back to the Giants, he knows the playbook, so there wouldn't be any issues there."

Smith doesn't have any other visits scheduled at this point. It's unclear what kind of time frame there will be for his signing or a return to the field.

The single-season franchise leader in receptions with 107 in 2009, Smith has been a valuable asset for the Giants and the team would obviously like to retain his services. General manager Jerry Reese said the team has an offer out to him and stated at the start of training camp of Smith and then-unsigned free agents Ahmad Bradshaw and Kevin Boss the ball was "in their court."

Dogra wouldn't get into any specifics of negotiations but made it seem like they're in the preliminary stages across the board.

"That first wave of free agency is over, so we'll take a step back here and see what teams have an interest in a Pro Bowl wide receiver in his prime," Dogra said. "Maybe I'm partial here, but I would think somebody would be."

Perhaps the Giants will make sure it never gets to that stage, beginning with their sit-down with Smith early this week.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/08/giants_free_agent_steve_smith.html

I want Steve back.

I want Steve back too but only on a contract that takes into consideration he;s a possible candidate for knee replacement surgery......sad really the guy is world class when healthy......may be our good fortune.....without the injury we probably could not have afforded him

I want Steve back too but only on a contract that takes into consideration he;s a possible candidate for knee replacement surgery......sad really the guy sis world class when healthy......may be our good fortune.....without the injury we probably could not have afforded him

yeah, we are trying to do him a favor. No other team seems interested, I believe we are talking a one year deal, he will be on the PUP list, he cannot play until after week 7. We will at least have him, for nine games, he could put his name out there again for next offseason.

Put me in the regiment that wants him back...he could get open like none of our other receivers could. What's the kicker here is that I'm betting there's a team out there willing to throw an assload of money at him, despite the injury. I'm hoping the Giants pony up on this one.

I really believe that Smith is far more a necessity than Bradshaw was and hope that the Giants FO feel that way as well.

Put me in the regiment that wants him back...he could get open like none of our other receivers could. What's the kicker here is that I'm betting there's a team out there willing to throw an assload of money at him, despite the injury. I'm hoping the Giants pony up on this one.

I really believe that Smith is far more a necessity than Bradshaw was and hope that the Giants FO feel that way as well.

And look at he's gone about his business.. he didn't cry a river when there's 2 or even 1 year left on his contract.. he got on the field and played... and now it's time for the FO to show loyalty.. injured or not.. the guy is a stand up player and rare by today's standards.

Smith is a stand up guy. The big question is can he still stand up.

I don't know why it'd be difficult to structure a deal so that he's paid well, but penalized if unable to make the field due to injury. I don't see him as a top 10 #1 WR talent, but EASILY a top 5, #2 WR. Regardless, he's a solid starter once the injury is healed and should be compensated as such.

Smith is a stand up guy. The big question is can he still stand up.

Of course he can. We're talking a few games he'll miss this season... I just don't see us bashing Osi for his antics while looking the other way when the FO doesn't accommodate an all around great player like Smith.

Of course he can. We're talking a few games he'll miss this season... I just don't see us bashing Osi for his antics while looking the other way when the FO doesn't accommodate an all around great player like Smith.

If the FO doesn't take care of this guy, then I have officially lost a little respect for our FO. Because of Osi's whining and the way he's gone about his business, I'd lose an equal amount of respect if the FO caved to his contract demands. I'm all in favor of trading Osi and signing Smith at this point.

I just keep coming back to the Kevin Kolb trade. Granted, Arizona overpaid for Kolb, but that deal could easily be used for comparison purposes in shopping Osi to other teams. After all, Osi, despite his injuries, has a much larger body of work than does Kolb.

That's still an unknown Nas. The FO will be taking a substantial risk signing Smith to a big contract. I'm assuming the one they presented has very little in the way of guaranteed money.

The fact no other team has been bidding for his services says a lot.

That's still an unknown Nas. The FO will be taking a substantial risk signing Smith to a big contract. I'm assuming the one they presented has very little in the way of guaranteed money.

The fact no other team has been bidding for his services says a lot.

I'm aware and it's not like they can't just cut the guy like it's the norm. The fact this guy waited till his contract is over and got injured during that last year says the FO should do right by him.. sign him and call it a day on this season.. if it means he hits the injured reserves or PUP or whatever I'm all for it.. I just don't want to see him unemployed after what he's shown.

I'm aware and it's not like they can't just cut the guy like it's the norm. The fact this guy waited till his contract is over and got injured during that last year says the FO should do right by him.. sign him and call it a day on this season.. if it means he hits the injured reserves or PUP or whatever I'm all for it.. I just don't want to see him unemployed employed by another team after what he's shown.

Fixed

His game is route-running, not speed. Assuming his knee heals satisfactorily, he'll be a force, even if he loses a little speed. He already knows how to make receptions in crowds. Personally, I'd rather take the chance and have Smith get us clutch 3rd down receptions for years to come.

This isn't really the same situation as Boss and Bradshaw: this isn't an injury that has happened repeatedly, and he's no more one injury away from retirement than any other player in the NFL.