SportsWrath

Early 53 man roster prediction

Allstarjim

Look, I know this is waaaaaay early to make a 53 man roster prediction, but this is how I see the roster shaking out as currently constituted, with a couple of players that I expect the Giants to resign.

Offense (25)

QB's (3)

Eli Manning

David Carr

Sage Rosenfels

RB's (4)

Ahmad Bradshaw (I'm predicting he will resign)

Brandon Jacobs

DJ Ware

Da'Rel Scott

FB's (1)

Henry Hynoski

WR's (6)

Hakeem Nicks

Mario Manningham

Domenik Hixon

Devin Thomas

Jerrel Jernigan

Victor Cruz

TE's (3)

Kevin Boss (re-signed)

Bear Pascoe

Travis Beckum

OL (8)

Kareem McKenzie

William Beatty

Chris Snee

David Diehl

David Baas

Kevin Boothe

Mitch Petrus

James Brewer

Defense (25)

DE's (5)

Justin Tuck

Mathias Kiwanuka

Jason Pierre-Paul

Osi Umenyiora (as long as he's here)

Ayanga Okpokowuruk (only because of his name)

DT's (4)

Chris Canty

Linval Joseph

Marvin Austin

Dwayne Hendricks

LB's (6)

Jonathan Goff

Michael Boley

Clint Sintim

Adrian Tracy

Greg Jones

Jacquian Williams

CB's (6)

Corey Webster

Terrell Thomas

Prince Amukamara

Bruce Johnson

Michael Coe

Brian Jackson

S (4)

Antrel Rolle

Kenny Phillips

Aaron Ross (surprise prediction... Giants move Ross to Safety)

Tyler Sash

Special Teams (3)

K Lawrence Tynes

P Steve Weatherford

LS Zak DeOssie

PUP

Steve Smith

Adam Koets

Ramses Barden

Practice Squad

Mark Herzlich, others

A couple thoughts on this... I really don't think the Giants will keep both Carr and Rosenfels, but I also don't think they will carry only 2 QB's on the active roster. They have done it in the past, though. I see QB Ryan Perriloux getting cut.

Major risk at linebacker, I do think the Giants need to sign a veteran. Adrian Tracy is practically a rookie after losing almost all of last season, and Williams and Jones ARE rookies.

The Giants are going to be looking for big contributions from some guys that don't get a lot of publicity right now. Some players to watch that I think could surprise are:

Devin Thomas - he could be the 3rd WR to start the season, was highly regarded coming into the NFL.

The linebacker foursome of Clint Sintim, Adrian Tracy, Greg Jones, and Jacquian Williams - Will a playmaker emerge?

Jason Pierre-Paul - Exciting player looking to build on impressive rookie year.

Marvin Austin and Linval Joseph - Two young players who will need to make big contributions.

Da'Rel Scott - rookie could earn playing time if he can impress.

Tyler Sash - Something special about this guy, plays bigger than he is... great intangibles.

Victor Cruz - Can last year's preseason star have a repeat performance?

Henry Hynoski - Can he take the FB job and run with it as an UDFA? It's very possible.

Forgive me if Im missing something, but if we resign Smith, why would he be on the PUP list??

I pretty much agree with the majority of your predictions, I could see it turning out like that. Other than Ross being moved to safety, and now that Osi was granted permission to seek a trade. He may not be here.

BB01 - I've read that most players don't think Steve Smith will be able to play until after the first month of the season. His knee is probably not ready. It's what I've been trying to say for awhile now, microfracture surgery on your knee is no joke. It's what K. Phillips went through and he took a long time to come back and last year he still wasn't the same player he was pre-injury... but he was getting closer.

BB01 - I've read that most players don't think Steve Smith will be able to play until after the first month of the season. His knee is probably not ready. It's what I've been trying to say for awhile now, microfracture surgery on your knee is no joke. It's what K. Phillips went through and he took a long time to come back and last year he still wasn't the same player he was pre-injury... but he was getting closer.

Oh shit, didnt know that. Thats sucks. I really want Smith in the lineup. :cwy:

LB's (6)

Jonathan Goff

Michael Boley

Clint Sintim

Adrian Tracy

Greg Jones

Jacquian Williams

You didn't mention Phillip Dillard at all. I would think as a true MLB, he might stick as a backup. Wouldn't be surprised if it's him over Sintim, if Sintim loses his starting role again.

If someone else can long-snap, we might keep 7 and ditch DeOssie. I remember someone drafted was a long snapper in college, but for the life of me, I can't remember who. It's that age thing, Jim.

You didn't mention Phillip Dillard at all. I would think as a true MLB, he might stick as a backup. Wouldn't be surprised if it's him over Sintim, if Sintim loses his starting role again.

If someone else can long-snap, we might keep 7 and ditch DeOssie. I remember someone drafted was a long snapper in college, but for the life of me, I can't remember who. It's that age thing, Jim.

Hey Fish. I actually think Dillard is going to get cut. I may be wrong, but I just think that the younger guys are going to beat him for a spot. Greg Jones for example, was drafted later than Dillard but had a lot of production in the Big Ten. Reese said at the time "You have to respect production." I think Jones has a possible future as the starting MLB spot. He's only a rook, though, and there is so much that can happen. I know this is only Dillard's second year, I just don't think he's going to win a spot.

DeOssie I think, has a lot more value at the LS position. It is possible, however, as you say, that someone would step up and try to take that spot from him. But they will have to prove that to the coaches definitively while also working with their regular position coach, and I think that's a real long shot. If one of the new OL we signed has experience as a LS elsewhere, then it's very possible. Other than that, I think the Giants value having a LS that can consistently snap a good ball... (don't make me name the game that shall not be spoken of).

As far as our draft picks, I don't know who you'd be referring to... I'm sure it's not a skill position player, so here are the other picks we had, and maybe it will jog your memory:

Marvin Austin

James Brewer

Greg Jones

Jacquian Williams

question.... why can't a backup C, or any other OL, learn to long snap? having to carry an extra player, in this case a LB in DeOssie, just to long snap seems ludicrous to me. I know it's been like this for awhile, but really, what's so difficult for one of these guys to learn to long snap?

Hey Fish. I actually think Dillard is going to get cut. I may be wrong, but I just think that the younger guys are going to beat him for a spot. Greg Jones for example, was drafted later than Dillard but had a lot of production in the Big Ten. Reese said at the time "You have to respect production." I think Jones has a possible future as the starting MLB spot. He's only a rook, though, and there is so much that can happen. I know this is only Dillard's second year, I just don't think he's going to win a spot.

DeOssie I think, has a lot more value at the LS position. It is possible, however, as you say, that someone would step up and try to take that spot from him. But they will have to prove that to the coaches definitively while also working with their regular position coach, and I think that's a real long shot. If one of the new OL we signed has experience as a LS elsewhere, then it's very possible. Other than that, I think the Giants value having a LS that can consistently snap a good ball... (don't make me name the game that shall not be spoken of).

As far as our draft picks, I don't know who you'd be referring to... I'm sure it's not a skill position player, so here are the other picks we had, and maybe it will jog your memory:

Marvin Austin

James Brewer

Greg Jones

Jacquian Williams

Hard to value a guy like DeOssie... long snappers are tougher to come by than one would guess, and not only is he more than fair in that role, he's also one of the first guys down the field on coverage. Punt coverage sucked last year, but thats in spite of DeOssie.... I think he'll stick for that reason alone.

Greg Jones is going to be a beast for us. He is a little undersized but has balls of steel.

As your Reese quote alludes to, the guy was a tackling machine in college.

Marvin Austin

James Brewer

Greg Jones

Jacquian Williams

You're probably right, Jim, but I'd feel a whole lot better if DeOssie could at least be a passable backup LB. Felt the same way when we had that designated long-snapper a few years ago--it seems like a wasted roster spot. More's the pity that Alford was injured. He was coming along nicely as a DT, and he snapped for field goals. I'm hoping it was Brewer I was thinking about, because that would be ideal; but all I remember was it was someone we picked up this off-season.

I don't really have a horse in the LB sweepstakes. I just want something more than what we had last year, and if it shakes out like you wrote with real improvement on that squad, I'll be more than happy with it. I thought Tracy blew Dillard away in what little I saw of either of them last preseason, but you never know.

I would be very surprised if the Giants kept both Carr and Rosenfels. We usually use the 3rd slot for a development project. Early news out of Giants camp has Ryan Perrilloux lighting it up.

Ryan Perrilloux, a first-year player from Jacksonville State, wowed the small crowd tonight when he lofted a picture-perfect pass to rookie Jerrel Jernigan – who beat cornerback Brian Witherspoon – for a 60-yard touchdown pass. It wasn’t the first quality throw Perrilloux has made in the early stages of camp and not the last quality throw he made in this practice. He threaded a pass to Todd Watkins just beyond the reach of Cary Harris in the 7 on 7 drill. I nthe red zone drill, Perrilloux fired into the end zone to find tight end Travis Beckum.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giantsblog/young_quarterback_impressive_for_6YuK5l0qfiCCUqKVXWmJBL#ixzz1TtW7KIOz