SportsWrath

Possible Fewell replacements

Lughead

#3 John Fox - The Giants Defensive Coordinator (1997 to 2001) might be a nice fit for a return since being terminated by the Carolina Panthers this week.. Originally from San Diego…John Fox could bring back some old magic with a much more talented group of players than he had back in late 90′s.

However, he might have an itch to go West as Oakland and San Francisco are also in need of a head coach. Fox is still considered young at 55 and has a great body of work. Fox took the Giants to the Super Bowl as their Defensive Coordinator in 2000 and the Panthers to the Super Bowl in 2003. In 2005 and again in 2008 he went to the AFC Championship.

wut

I'd be happy with either of the 3.....

Pepper

PROS: The sentimental favorite....mentored as a player and assistant under Parcells and Belichick former NFL player

CONS: If we hire him, we'll likely need to replace him within 24 months, because he'll go Spags/Fewell on us.

Dick Jauron

PROS: Very sound defensive coach. No chance of leaving to take a HC job; former NFL player.

CONS: Unemotional, aloof. Could be another Sheridan deal with respect to connecting to players.

Fox

PROS: Giants roots, smart coach, good track record with Giants as DC (could beat the Eagles); great rapport with management; would likely be successor to Coughlin

CONS: Will there be any friction between Coughlin and Fox? Would Fox cause Coughlin to look over his shoulder as soon as they lose two in a row? Fox 0-2 in super bowls as DC and HC, so having him eventually replace Coughlin might not be the upgrade some people are hoping for.

I'd be happy with either of the 3.....

Pepper

PROS: The sentimental favorite....mentored as a player and assistant under Parcells and Belichick former NFL player

CONS: If we hire him, we'll likely need to replace him within 24 months, because he'll go Spags/Fewell on us.

Dick Jauron

PROS: Very sound defensive coach. No chance of leaving to take a HC job; former NFL player.

CONS: Unemotional, aloof. Could be another Sheridan deal with respect to connecting to players.

Fox

PROS: Giants roots, smart coach, good track record with Giants as DC (could beat the Eagles); great rapport with management; would likely be successor to Coughlin

CONS: Will there be any friction between Coughlin and Fox? Would Fox cause Coughlin to look over his shoulder as soon as they lose two in a row? Fox 0-2 in super bowls as DC and HC, so having him eventually replace Coughlin might not be the upgrade some people are hoping for.

Pepper also is unproven at the coordinator level.

Pepper also is unproven at the coordinator level.

Very good point.

Personally, other than Pepper, I have no further interest in the "up-and-coming" coach.

Dom Capers in Green Bay, Dick Lebeau in Pittsburgh, the late Jimmy Johnson with the Eagles........get a veteran DC, who knows what the hell works.....Dick Jauron or John Fox would fit that bill.

Fox has a much better chance of landing a new HC gig, but if he took the Giants DC job, I'm positive he'd sit tight until Coughlin retired.

At 55, he's got patience, and after the BS with his current owner, you've got to think he'd relish the opportunity to rejoin an organization that is stubbornly loyal when it comes to coaches.

Very good point.

Personally, other than Pepper, I have no further interest in the "up-and-coming" coach.

Dom Capers in Green Bay, Dick Lebeau in Pittsburgh, the late Jimmy Johnson with the Eagles........get a veteran DC, who knows what the hell works.....Dick Jauron or John Fox would fit that bill.

Fox has a much better chance of landing a new HC gig, but if he took the Giants DC job, I'm positive he'd sit tight until Coughlin retired.

At 55, he's got patience, and after the BS with his current owner, you've got to think he'd relish the opportunity to rejoin an organization that is stubbornly loyal when it comes to coaches.

Yup, have to agree with you on everything. We did hit paydirt with Spags... he was an up and comer, but I'm with you... I'd love for John Fox to come back.

I am not sure if I want Fox, I don't believe this personnel would fit his scheme. Pepper Johnson would be great, he would cherish the opportunity has a first time coordinator and has a history with the Giants. The only problem I see there is he's familiar with the 3-4 and that wouldn't fit with our personnel either.

I am not sure if I want Fox, I don't believe this personnel would fit his scheme. Pepper Johnson would be great, he would cherish the opportunity has a first time coordinator and has a history with the Giants. The only problem I see there is he's familiar with the 3-4 and that wouldn't fit with our personnel either.

What do we know about Pepper Johnson's schemes? Fox is a proven commodity and he knows how to put players in position to be successful. He'd adapt scheme to personnel. I loved Pepper but giving him his first coordinator spot would really be rolling the dice.