SportsWrath

Duke Calhoun and Seth Williams cut off the dreads

BleedinBlue

Duke Calhoun and Seth Williams had a pact that if they made the team, they'd cut their dreadlocks off. Both made the team and both cut their hair.

Personally, I hate the long hair on players. It certainly isn't fashionable in this day in age by any stretch of the imagination. It seems long hair is only acceptible if you play football and that makes no sense to me accept that it makes me think a player with long hair simply is wanting attention on the field because players are indistinguishable for the most part and should be indistinguishable. Football is about the most team oriented sport there is....so no player (IMO) should seek individual attention. So cheers to Duke and Seth!

Interesting article on Duke Calhoun this morning. Apparantly, ten teams invitied him to their facilities after the draft. He's very fast (4.40) and tall (6'4") and was the leading scorer for Memphis. It will be interesting to see how he develops.

Here's the link to his story - a good read: link

"It certainly isn't fashionable in this day in age by any stretch of the imagination."

BleedinBlue = fashion expert.

Who knew?

lol, players will tell you that the NFL does all they can to prevent individuality. i recall warren sapp saying that was the real impetus for the 15 yard

helmet removal penalty. i think he had a point.

so the hair is a statement for some. i'd still take troy polamalu on my team any day.

lol, players will tell you that the NFL does all they can to prevent individuality. i recall warren sapp saying that was the real impetus for the 15 yard

so the hair is a statement for some. i'd still take troy polamalu on my team any day.

As long as the NFL never bans grabbing by the hair I'm fine with it. I know I would never want to get dragged down by my hair...but then again if I were a Samoan I would probably keep the long hair going.

Who gives a fuck if you think the hair they sport is "unfashionable?"

I doubt any player gives a shit what I think.....or you either for that matter. These guys are millionaires living the dream. The last thing they care about is some average guy in upstate New York or midstate PA.

A friend of mine (Mike) who is a farmer lives on the outskirts of Cortland. He was milking cows a few weeks ago when a guy walked into his barn who he didn't know. So he stopped his milking for a minute to see what the guy wanted. Turned out to be Mark Sanchez who said he had never seen a farm before and wondered if he could see how a farmer works. Sanchez ended up spending a half hour with him and his wife and gave them an autographed photo. Mike and his wife were clueless who the guy was as they don't watch football.

So....I guess the storal of the morey is that you just never know if a professional player gives a shit about you or I.

As long as the NFL never bans grabbing by the hair I'm fine with it. I know I would never want to get dragged down by my hair...but then again if I were a Samoan I would probably keep the long hair going.

yeah troy did get pulled down hard by the hair at least once.

what bothers me more is baseball players who wear their ratty hats and helmets till they disintegrate. i.e. posada, linceum, all of the 2004 sox......

i can see wearing it thru a hot streak but when the streaks over, burn that thing.

I doubt any player gives a shit what I think.....or you either for that matter. These guys are millionaires living the dream. The last thing they care about is some average guy in upstate New York or midstate PA.

A friend of mine (Mike) who is a farmer lives on the outskirts of Cortland. He was milking cows a few weeks ago when a guy walked into his barn who he didn't know. So he stopped his milking for a minute to see what the guy wanted. Turned out to be Mark Sanchez who said he had never seen a farm before and wondered if he could see how a farmer works. Sanchez ended up spending a half hour with him and his wife and gave them an autographed photo. Mike and his wife were clueless who the guy was as they don't watch football.

So....I guess the storal of the morey is that you just never know if a professional player gives a shit about you or I.

Sanchez is one weird dude. But that is a down-to-earth story about Sanchez that I'm surprised didn't make the papers.

Sanchez is one weird dude. But that is a down-to-earth story about Sanchez that I'm surprised didn't make the papers.

Yeah....since no one knew about it and Sanchez didn't tell anyone.....the papers didn't find out. And my friends (Mike and Judy are in their 70's) have no social life and know nothing about football and certainly wouldn't call a reporter.....it's their story alone. I still don't think they have a clue how special it was. To them, he was just a city slicker who had never seen a farm up close.

All I can say is that I wish I had grown them back in my college days...then again I would have been buried under an avalanche of trim. Back then you had to be a Dexter from Jamaica to sport them... :afro:

If I'm correct , having dreads and cornrows can increase the risk of concussions. Toomer had dreads for a while and he cut them for that reason.

This.

The more room that is between the head and the helmet is apparently bad and runs a higher risk of concussions.

Plus, I think Toomer had a thing where he wouldn't cut his hair till they beat the Vikings in the playoffs. Had to wait 3 years to do so.