SportsWrath

[Preseason] Pittsburgh Steelers At New York Giants

Mr. P

rhett-bomar-giants-practice-cropped-tight-ef9642676e965ed1_large.jpg

ALBANY, N.Y. — It once seemed entirely conceivable that Rhett Bomar would become an NFL starting quarterback. He was the top-ranked passer in the high school class of 2004, started as a freshman at Oklahoma and possessed the tools sought in a franchise player.

The inconceivable part was the circumstances that caused Bomar’s descent during his college football career and the circumstances that allowed Bomar to ascend on the Giants’ depth chart for tonight’s preseason game against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Bomar is expected to play nearly the entire game behind center and will have an opportunity to solidify a roster spot.

“I went through a tough time, and I was proud of myself for overcoming it,” Bomar said. “I never lost faith or confidence in my ability to make it to this level.”

Bomar’s Oklahoma career was halted before his redshirt sophomore season. He and a Sooners teammate were dismissed from the team because of compensation paid for unattended work, which violated NCAA rules.

Bomar resurfaced at Sam Houston State, a Division 1-AA program, where he developed into a middling NFL prospect. The Giants selected Bomar in the fifth round last season, although he played little during the preseason and spent much of the year on the practice squad.

He fulfilled the menial tasks required of a practice squad player, coach Tom Coughlin said. The Giants signed quarterback Jim Sorgi during the offseason as Eli Manning’s backup, and the franchise has kept two quarterbacks on the roster the past two seasons.

Bomar’s break resulted from Manning suffering a gash on his forehead that will sideline him tonight, and a shoulder injury that shelved Sorgi. Bomar took all of the snaps at one practice before the team signed rookie free agent Dominic Randolph. The coaching staff is prepared to give Bomar nearly a full-game audition, a rarity in the NFL’s preseason.

“There’s a lot of pressure on him,” offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said. “Instead of looking at guys he’s been on the scout team with, all of a sudden he’s looking at starters, and they’re expecting him to lead and do the things Eli would do, and it’s not fair to expect that of him.”

Sitting in the stands at the New Meadowlands Stadium will be Jerry Bomar, Bomar’s father and high school coach. After Bomar completed 6 of 7 passes for 67 yards and one touchdown in the preseason opener, Jerry Bomar sensed serenity in his son that he hadn’t seen in the past few years.

“I’ve watched him play a million times, and that’s the first thing that jumped out to me: It looked like he was playing seventh-grade football, or high school football,” Jerry Bomar said.

The father hopes his son prevents residual stress resulting from the best opportunity of Bomar’s professional career. The quarterback has shouldered expectations since he was a teenager in Grand Prairie, Texas. He ranks among the most touted prep prospects the state produced last decade and earned MVP honors at the Holiday Bowl as a redshirt freshman before becoming a punch line after his dismissal.

“When bad things happen to people, you find out if they have any character or not,” Jerry Bomar said. “The kid never made an excuse. He never blamed anybody but himself. When the opportunity was there, he didn’t. He had an ACL injury his first year (at Sam Houston State), and he overcame that. He overcame all the stigmatism, all the negative media, never quit, never gave up. That’s why I’m proud of him.”

During what were supposed to be Bomar’s prime years at Oklahoma, eventual replacement Sam Bradford became a Heisman Trophy winner, the top pick in the draft and recently received a contract with the most guaranteed money in NFL history — a distinction that could have possibly been Bomar’s had he remained in the Sooners’ offense.

“Maybe in the back of your mind. I mean, who wouldn’t think like that?” Bomar said. “Good for him. He played well, good job, and he’s a great player. But you can’t think about that. If I thought about that, I’d be mad all the time.”

Tonight marks the best chance Bomar could receive. He’s not happy that two quarterbacks needed to endure injuries for him to earn the opportunity, but he understands the reality: A player who five years ago appeared a surefire NFL prospect — and who five weeks ago simply hoped for a spot on a roster — has nearly an entire game to prove he’s an NFL quarterback.

“Things aren’t going to go your way all the time,” Bomar said. “I’ve dealt with that.”

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/08/quarterback_rhett_bomar_gets_r.html

04_gameday_main_wk15.jpg

how it looks on giants gameday:

149277022-1d982f2e01dd7fb85af341b17c21e6fe.4c701420-scaled.jpg

new endzones look sweet.

Post us a link to the page please not a link to the pic

and for what its worth I have always liked these endzones

giants%20stadium.jpg

Game Night: Steelers at Giants

For the first time ever, the Giants play a home game at their new stadium in the Meadowlands. I don’t know if it’ll be much different than it was last week, though. The scoreboards will show a little more blue. The crowd will be a little more pro-Giants. And I’ll have a slightly better seat in the press box.

Beyond that, though, the focus should be far more on the game than the building.

And what should you be watching for tonight? Three things come to mind:

1. The Rhett Bomar Show. What an incredible opportunity this second-year pro gets tonight. Most third stringers don’t ever get to play three whole quarters (and possibly more), even in a preseason game. But with Eli Manning (head) and Jim Sorgi (shoulder) out, Bomar will come pretty close to going the distance. His performance could be important, too. If he’s terrific, the Giants may suddenly be less patient with Sorgi, who told reporters yesterday that he’s worried his injury may keep him out longer than 2-3 weeks. It also could convince the Giants not to shop for another veteran backup if they see Bomar can do the job.

2. Welcome back, Kenny. For the first time since Week 2 last year, Kenny Phillips should be on the field tonight. Even better, he won’t be going half speed like he looked to be at times during practice. We’ll get a real idea for how far along he is in his recovering from microfracture knee surgery. Does he still have anywhere near the same explosiveness and nose for the ball? This isn’t the final exam, so don’t be too judgmental either way. But he’ll be interesting to watch.

3. Can the Cruz-a-palooza continue? What can Victor Cruz do for an encore? His 145-yard, three-touchdown performance last week got the attention of everyone from Tom Coughlin to Rex Ryan to LeBron James to everyone at SportsCenter. Is he a one-game wonder, or can he do it again now that the Steelers clearly enter the game knowing who No. 3 is?

I’m sure there are plenty more things to watch, but you can discuss that below. As always, this blog entry will be open all night for you to discuss, debate and dissect. I’ll be back later with inactives, injuries, and any interesting thing that crosses my mind. Also as always, you can get instant updates by following @TheBlueScreen on Twitter, too.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2010/08/game-night-steelers-at-giants.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fblogs%2Fgiants+%28Blogs%2FThe+Blue+Screen%29&utm_content=Twitter

But for the most part, Bomar really wants to be like one person in the most meaningful game to date of his young career.

"Just go out there and make plays and make good decisions and play within our offense," Bomar said of what he wants to accomplish Saturday.

"Just be smart with the ball," he said.

"I'm trying to be like Eli."

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5481675