SportsWrath

Giants Waive Five Players, Including Punter Jy Bond

Mr. P

matt-dodge-jy-bond-new-york-giants-621jpgjpg-f7012704ef98cef2_large.jpg

The Giants waived the following today: DB Vince Anderson, P Jy Bond, TE Carson Butler and LBs Lee Campbell and Micah Johnson. Those moves were made to clear room for the signing of the team's draft picks, though no contracts were finalized today.

The release of Bond means rookie Matt Dodge is likely in line to be the punter this year, barring the signing of a veteran. That's no surprise, considering the team used a seventh-round pick on Dodge and that early indications were he was more impressive than Bond this spring.

Assuming Dodge has earned the job -- Giants special teams coach Tom Quinn said that he believed the team's next punter was "absolutely" at minicamp last week -- he proved to the Giants that he can sufficiently handle two duties that retired punter Jeff Feagles handled admirably: directional punting and holding for kicker Lawrence Tynes.

Feagles was at minicamp last week giving Dodge (and Bond) pointers on aspects of directional kicking, the art of pinning the kick returner along a sideline so the punt coverage unit can converge on him quickly. Perhaps no punter in NFL history was better at directional kicking than Feagles.

"Really, the thing we'll ask is, Jeff was putting it outside the numbers," Quinn said, "these guys can put it inside the numbers, but they'll at least give us some direction."

Quinn also said Dodge was making progress holding for Tynes, another of Feagles' underestimated skills. Tynes said during camp that Dodge's holding was "robotic," but Quinn praised the progress Dodge has made since the Giants chose him in the seventh round, No. 221 overall, in April's NFL Draft.

"That is probably the toughest adjustment that any holder has to make at this level -- to get the hold down exactly how the kicker wants it," Quinn said. "They both have progressed well and Lawrence has done a good job working with them exactly how he wants the ball."

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/06/giants_waive_five_players_incl.html

Why are they so intent on getting the punter to be the holder? What's wrong with Sorgi holding, as he did in Indy?

I know it's part logistical - the punter spends training camp and practice time hanging out with the kicker, so it's easier than pulling the back up QB away from the offense to hold.....but the backup qb is usually better at it and gives better options if you want to try a fake.

Why are they so intent on getting the punter to be the holder? What's wrong with Sorgi holding, as he did in Indy?

I know it's part logistical - the punter spends training camp and practice time hanging out with the kicker, so it's easier than pulling the back up QB away from the offense to hold.....but the backup qb is usually better at it and gives better options if you want to try a fake.

We're very sensitive with holds and snaps.

:doh:

Damnit. Oh well, I'll leave the post as is...............provide some cannon fodder for the troops.

but they did have holding issues that year as well. I think it was Matt Allen at the time but they had been thru a few.

oops sorry it appears someone already posted news about the 5 players being waived.

my sincerest apologies.

That's it huh, I am reduced to just a somebody? Kinda hurts ya know kinda hurts a lot :(

but they did have holding issues that year as well. I think it was Matt Allen at the time but they had been thru a few.

He did make a hell of a pass to whichever eligible lineman that was.....and we should have gotten another shot at a field goal from like the 1....

He did make a hell of a pass to whichever eligible lineman that was.....and we should have gotten another shot at a field goal from like the 1....

Seubert.

Anyways, there were offensive lineman illegally downfield..but there was an obvious pass interference...penalties would have offset and we would have gotten another chance at a field goal that we probably would have missed anyways.

Seubert.

Anyways, there were offensive lineman illegally downfield..but there was an obvious pass interference...penalties would have offset and we would have gotten another chance at a field goal that we probably would have missed anyways.

Maybe not, Matt Bryant was money.... :rolleyes:

It makes perfect sense in terms of training logistics, especially when you have lots of receivers/backs battling for playing time and needing as many reps as possible. You don't want to be pulling you 2nd QB out of the mix.

I can't image Toni Romo has much time to practice holds. That means some other guy has been developing his timing with the kicker.

2 words:

Trey Junkin.

Rik you sumbitch.... :ranting2: Never ever...ever mention that journey man hole who was hired just to snap because he was such a sure snapper. Cause then I will be reminded on how the Giants were ripped off on that non call in the endzone that even the 69'ers could not believe was not interference. I hope that cock sucking former coach of the 69'ers and his "oh what a bummer" when he was being interviewed concerning it and that was his sarcastic remark. I never cheered a 69'er opponent never so fervently as I cheered their next opponent to whip their asses. It also reminds me of Shockey not catching a sure TD and giggling like an asshole. You have been warned Rik.... :05-mafia::furious::ranting2:

:laugh:

Rik you sumbitch.... :ranting2: Never ever...ever mention that journey man hole who was hired just to snap because he was such a sure snapper. Cause then I will be reminded on how the Giants were ripped off on that non call in the endzone that even the 69'ers could not believe was not interference. I hope that cock sucking former coach of the 69'ers and his "oh what a bummer" when he was being interviewed concerning it and that was his sarcastic remark. I never cheered a 69'er opponent never so fervently as I cheered their next opponent to whip their asses. It also reminds me of Shockey not catching a sure TD and giggling like an asshole. You have been warned Rik.... :05-mafia::furious::ranting2:

At least you knew he was a long snapper. :football:

Unless another comment is made like "why do they insist on letting a LB'er snap", Trey "Sanford & Son" Junken shall never be mentioned again.

Fuck Steve Mariucci.

And Strahan pointing to the scoreboard like a jackass...pretty much the only time in his career I could ever find something to complain about him