SportsWrath

Out of nowhere: Just watch, Pierre-Paul bound for stardom

RandolphScott

A lot of NFL scouts say South Florida defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul is an enigma, an amazing talent with little playing experience. He could be a tease, they say, a boom-or-bust player.

I say he's something else ...

Special.

Here's what I think of Pierre-Paul: I predict he will be the best non-quarterback in this draft when it's all said and done.

He is, to borrow a word from an NFL coach's evaluation of him, a freak.

Maybe that's why when he was asked at the scouting combine in February if he was the best pass rusher in the draft, the normally shy Pierre-Paul didn't hesitate to answer.

"I think so, yeah," he said. "I'm going to get to the quarterback no matter what. I'm going to get there."

Watching him on tape is a "wow" experience. He provides plenty of plays that make you mutter the word to yourself.

Wow.

Like the time against Florida State when he dominated the game, bursting onto the national scene. He had a sack that day, and spent the game in the backfield, but his best play might have come on a running play.

The Seminoles ran a Wildcat play to backup quarterback E.J. Manuel, who took the snap and ran to the right side of the formation. Just as Manuel was about to break free, this blur appeared from behind him to trip him up for a loss of 1.

Pierre-Paul.

Another "wow" play came against Miami. He blew by the right tackle with such quickness that the kid had no chance. Pierre-Paul then violently exploded on the quarterback, knocking the ball free for a sack-fumble.

And to show his true dedication to the game, I bring you a play that came in the second half against Pittsburgh. With South Florida trailing 31-7 in the third quarter, it might have been understandable to see a player dogging it some, especially because by this game his name was on the national radar.

Not this kid. On one running play in the third quarter, the offensive tackle cut down Pierre-Paul. All Pierre-Paul did was crawl on his knees into the backfield and drop the running back for a 2-yard loss.

Wow. Wow. And wow again.

"He has a chance to be like Jevon Kearse," said one NFC personnel director. "I'm talking about the early Kearse at Tennessee. The explosive Kearse."

Some other personnel men have mentioned DeMarcus Ware of the Dallas Cowboys. Another even did the unthinkable and mentioned Lawrence Taylor.

At 6-6, 265 pounds, he has the closing speed teams crave in a pass-happy league. He runs like a man much smaller, looking as fast as the backs he runs down. The scary thing is some scouts think he can put more weight on his basketball-like frame, playing even bigger with the same speed.

So what's the problem? Pierre-Paul played just one year of major-college football. He is the player who magically appeared on the draft boards of most teams midway through the season.

"I'm out of nowhere," Pierre-Paul said.

He is certainly the Out of Nowhere Man. His path to being a potential top-10 pick is a wild one, a well-traveled odyssey.

Coming out of Deerfield Beach High School in South Florida, he wasn't highly recruited. That's in large part because he only played football his last two years. He was a raw kid who looked more like a basketball player, his top sport until he broke a leg.

Central Florida liked him enough to offer a football scholarship, but he failed the FCAT, the standardized test for Florida students. The scholarship went away.

When I asked Pierre-Paul why he failed, he answered honestly. "I was raised speaking French-Creole as a Haitian," he said. "The English was hard for me. On the reading, I couldn't comprehend the vocabulary."

He went to the College of Canyons, a junior college, and then ended up at Fort Scott Community College in Kansas, where his pass-rush skills began to get noticed. Some of the big schools like Florida State and Florida nibbled, but he had courses to finish before he was eligible. They backed off. South Florida didn't.

Pierre-Paul paid for a few courses to get eligible last summer and then joined his teammates just before the start of the regular season.

"I arrived two days before two-a-days ended, so I wound up not playing the first three games, but my coach just kind of threw me in there to see what I could do and by the fourth game I started," Pierre-Paul said. "That was the Florida State game, and that was like my breakout game."

He was all over the field as South Florida upset FSU. He had the one sack, three tackles for loss, two quarterback hurries and a forced fumble. It was even better on tape. The Out of Nowhere Man was everywhere.

Pierre-Paul finished the season with 6½ sacks, 16 tackles for loss and a spot in the first round. By season's end, he was being doubled on almost every play. The supposed pass-rush star, George Selvie, once considered a potential first-round pick, was suddenly the "other" end for the Bulls.

There is a chance Pierre-Paul could be a top-10 pick in this draft, but some scouts wonder if the small bit of film they have on him makes him a risk. I say it makes him an even better prospect. If he's this good now, what can he be when he gets more coaching and learns the tricks of the trade?

"I'm just god-gifted," Pierre-Paul said. "I have a talent."

That talent is speed, quickness and desire to get to the quarterback. He showed off his athletic ability in a widely popular YouTube video. He won a backflip competition with a teammate by doing 13 consecutive. He said he can do over 20. Watch it. You'll be amazed.

Something else I came to really like after watching him was that he never gives up on plays, chasing down runs from the backside, and he likes contact. Most pass rushers shy away from it. He seems to like taking on traps and doubles.

If this kid isn't a double-digit sack player in two years, I will be shocked. If he isn't a perennial Pro Bowl player for the next 10 years, it will be a big surprise.

Just you wait and see.

BUT HE SUCKS, SPORTSWRATH TOLD ME HE'LL BE A BUST WITHIN THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAAAAAAAAA

So... what you're saying is that when it came to the pick, "you likeded it."

No and So-Cal will tell you that. I wanted the guy the Titans drafted Derrick Morgan from GT. There was NO linebacker worth the 15th pick once Al Davis took Rolando McClain way too high.

I'd have gone nuts if we drafted a defensive tackle...2nd highest bust factor behind QBs.

So... what you're saying is that when it came to the pick, "you likeded it."

I did, I told my brother in law we would draft him, after McClain was drafted.

Now we can draft Spikes, the LB I wanted all along, and our D is back on it's way.

I don't think anyone's doubted he's a physical freak, but that doesn't mean he's a sure-fire star. His seeming lack of desire to play the game concerns me greatly. He really sounded like he opted for the draft because his sister wanted him to earn a paycheck. That has me really nervous.

I put this pick in the same category as trading for Brandon Marshall; undeniable physical talent but you just don't know what he's gonna bring to the table. He's a risky pick.

I don't think anyone's doubted he's a physical freak, but that doesn't mean he's a sure-fire star. His seeming lack of desire to play the game concerns me greatly. He really sounded like he opted for the draft because his sister wanted him to earn a paycheck. That has me really nervous.

I put this pick in the same category as trading for Brandon Marshall; undeniable physical talent but you just don't know what he's gonna bring to the table. He's a risky pick.

Good analogy... though Marshall certainly seems to be more "the devil you know."

Golfer is spot on. It's a good pick at the time and considering Al Davis stop f'ing up.

I'm only too sorry our pick was snatched. It was like playing blackjack with a novice on your side stealing your cards except that this wasn't a novice, it was Al Davis and he just thought it was an early bird special.

Golfer is spot on. It's a good pick at the time and considering Al Davis stop f'ing up.

I'm only too sorry our pick was snatched. It was like playing blackjack with a novice on your side stealing your cards except that this wasn't a novice, it was Al Davis and he just thought it was an early bird special.

I didn't think Davis had the nuts to draft an ILB with the 8th overall pick, but I guess I should stop thinking when it comes to that crypt keeper. This is a guy who took Darrius Heyward-Bey because he can run fast in a straight line, took Darren McFadden because he could run fast in a straight line, took JaMarcus Russel because he could throw a football far, Michael Huff because he could run fast in a straight line.

Think the Giants offer the Raiders a 5th or a 6th for Kirk Morrison now that they have Rolando?

I agree.....Al Davis took the guy we coveted.

It could be that Reese had Pierre graded as a top-12 guy, and when McClain was gone and JPP was there, he pulled the trigger.

Again....it's 2010 not 2007..... I'm not convinced about our pass rush, frankly.....since Strahan left, it's gone downhill.

I agree.....Al Davis took the guy we coveted.

It could be that Reese had Pierre graded as a top-12 guy, and when McClain was gone and JPP was there, he pulled the trigger.

Again....it's 2010 not 2007..... I'm not convinced about our pass rush, frankly.....since Strahan left, it's gone downhill.

Reese had him as the 6th best player in the draft.

I didn't think Davis had the nuts to draft an ILB with the 8th overall pick, but I guess I should stop thinking when it comes to that crypt keeper. This is a guy who took Darrius Heyward-Bey because he can run fast in a straight line, took Darren McFadden because he could run fast in a straight line, took JaMarcus Russel because he could throw a football far, Michael Huff because he could run fast in a straight line.

Think the Giants offer the Raiders a 5th or a 6th for Kirk Morrison now that they have Rolando?

I read the same idea in the Post by Schwartz today.....that would be a kick ass move. Morrison is solid, and only 28. Would be nice to have a guy on defense that knows his role, too.

I read the same idea in the Post by Schwartz today.....that would be a kick ass move. Morrison is solid, and only 28. Would be nice to have a guy on defense that knows his role, too.

Wasn't the knock against Morrison his coverage skills, or lack there of? I'm not sure he's a fit for us.

Pat Kirwans' revised 2nd Round Mock:

14. (46) New York Giants

Daryl Washington, LB, TCU

He is an instinctive player that leverages the ball well and understands angles and run fits in the TCU defensive scheme. Washington is a solid open field tackler and the added bulk has helped his physical presence as a linebacker.

Never heard of him. Anyone else?

14. (46) New York Giants

He is an instinctive player that leverages the ball well and understands angles and run fits in the TCU defensive scheme. Washington is a solid open field tackler and the added bulk has helped his physical presence as a linebacker.

TCU's defense was fast as hell...I like the pick.

14. (46) New York Giants

he projects to the weakside in the nfl, so yeah we have a plethora of OLB's we will take him

Jason Pierre-Paul is destined for a career exactly like Mathias Kiwanuka...promising but the team that drafted him had way too many defensive ends for him to ever really contribute what he's capable of.