SportsWrath

Dansby Signs With Miami

BronxRik

MIAMI -- The Miami Dolphins released two linebackers Friday and successfully courted a third, Karlos Dansby.

One of big prizes on this year's market, Dansby reached an agreement with Miami on a five-year deal after visiting the Dolphins in the opening hours of NFL free agency, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. Dansby's contract is worth $43 million with $22 million guaranteed, according to the source, which makes him one of the highest paid inside linebackers in the game.

The Dolphins terminated the contracts of disgruntled outside linebacker Joey Porter, inside linebacker Akin Ayodele and free safety Gibril Wilson.

Dansby became an unrestricted free agent after six seasons with Arizona. He played inside linebacker last season for the NFC West champions and can also play outside linebacker.

Porter, a four-time Pro Bowler chosen in January to the NFL's All-Decade team, was released last month but reverted to the Miami roster because of a salary cap technicality. He had campaigned to be released while complaining about his reduced role last season and his relationship with coach Tony Sparano.

Wilson was a flop in his only season with the Dolphins. He received $8 million guaranteed when he signed a year ago.

Ayodele was a two-year starter at inside linebacker, but Dansby offers more big-play ability. The former Cardinals star has 25½ career sacks, 10 interceptions, 12 fumbles forced and nine fumbles recovered.

A second-round draft pick by Arizona in 2004, Dansby has started since his rookie season. He made one of the most memorable plays in this year's playoffs, returning Aaron Rodgers' fumble 17 yards for a touchdown to give the Cardinals a 51-45 overtime victory over the Green Bay Packers.

As Friday's moves made clear, the Bill Parcells regime is eager to improve a defense that last year gave up a franchise-record 140 points in the fourth quarter, most in the NFL. In the final three games, desperate to stay in the playoff race, the Dolphins fell behind 24-6, 27-0 and 27-10.

Miami fired defensive coordinator Paul Pasqualoni in January and replaced him with Mike Nolan.

Linkage

From NFL.com:

Miami Dolphins

Posted about 2 hours ago

Free-agent LB Dansby, Dolphins agree to five-year, $43 million deal

NFL.com Wire Reports

The Miami Dolphins released two linebackers Friday and added a third -- free agent Karlos Dansby.

One of the big prizes on this year's market, Dansby visited the Dolphins in the opening hours of NFL free agency. All it took was the NFL's richest deal for a linebacker to keep Dansby from visiting any other teams.

By Friday night, Dansby and the Dolphins had agreed to a five-year contract worth $43 million, with $22 million guaranteed, a league source told NFL Network's Jason La Canfora. Dansby is scheduled to make an average of $9 million over the first three years of the deal.

Dansby, who has played inside and outside linebacker, became an unrestricted free agent after six seasons with the Arizona Cardinals, but La Canfora cited a league source in reporting Friday that the team was making a strong push to keep the linebacker. Apparently, Arizona's efforts weren't enough.

To make room for Dansby, the Dolphins terminated the contracts of disgruntled outside linebacker Joey Porter, inside linebacker Akin Ayodele and free safety Gibril Wilson on Friday.

Porter, a four-time Pro Bowler who was chosen to the NFL's All-Decade team in January, was released last month, but he returned to the roster because of a salary-cap technicality. He had campaigned to be released while complaining about his reduced role last season and his relationship with coach Tony Sparano.

Wilson struggled in his only season with the Dolphins. He received $8 million guaranteed when he signed last year.

Ayodele was a two-year starter at inside linebacker, but Dansby offers more big-play ability. The former Cardinals star has 25.5 sacks, 10 interceptions, 12 forced fumbles and nine fumble recoveries in his NFL career.

A second-round draft pick by Arizona in 2004, Dansby has been a starter since his rookie season. He made one of the most memorable plays in this year's playoffs, returning Aaron Rodgers' fumble 17 yards for a touchdown to give the Cardinals a 51-45 overtime victory over the Green Bay Packers.

As Friday's moves made clear, the Bill Parcells regime is eager to improve a Miami defense that last season gave up a franchise-record 140 fourth-quarter points, most in the NFL. In the final three games, desperate to stay in the playoff race, the Dolphins fell behind 24-6, 27-0 and 27-10.

The Dolphins fired defensive coordinator Paul Pasqualoni in January and replaced him with Mike Nolan.

Linkoln

Aww, bummer, man.

But the "Porter to Buffalo" rumors are heating up, so I have something to be excited about.

My new team hasn't done shit in the first few hours of Free Agency. :(

They're still stinging from the T.O. experience. They may never participate in free agency ever again, except of course, to sign more scrubs.

Porter's not going to end up in Buffalo, especially with Fewell gone. (Who'd they get to replace him anyway)?

Go with Houston, man, at least they've got Andre Johnson and they are long overdue for a breakout year.

Aww, bummer, man.

But the "Porter to Buffalo" rumors are heating up, so I have something to be excited about.

My new team hasn't done shit in the first few hours of Free Agency. sad.gif

Dont make me hate you Sep wink.gif

They're still stinging from the T.O. experience. They may never participate in free agency ever again, except of course, to sign more scrubs.

Porter's not going to end up in Buffalo, especially with Fewell gone. (Who'd they get to replace him anyway)?

Go with Houston, man, at least they've got Andre Johnson and they are long overdue for a breakout year.

Yeah, go with Houston. So when I go see the Giants destroy them this year in Houston, I can make fun of you. :P

Houston? They're too far away! Plus, they're from Texas! No thanks! ;)

Buddy Nix (the new Buffalo GM) has pretty much gone on the record saying that they're not making a big splash in free agency... which means they'll let everybody else spend a ton, and scoop up bargain guys after the dust settles. Which is OK if you land your Kawika Mitchells... but it's nice to get a big-name guy in there every now and then too. He obviously wants to build through the draft, and I'm cool with that... as long as he can draft well.

Dont make me hate you Sep wink.gif

Hey, just remember... Mara threw MY family out of the stadium, not the other way around, lol. It's OK though... I"m sure PNC bank will really enjoy our former seats. <_<

Aww, bummer, man.

My new team hasn't done shit in the first few hours of Free Agency. :(

dude, if you're looking for Buffalo to make any kind of splash in free agency, you are going to be waiting a long, long time. They don't make big moves, they fill holes with subpar castaways from other teams....that's why they never win. They rely entirely too much on who they draft.

edit- sorry, I hadn't got to your post where you say exactly this...lol....