SportsWrath

Eli Manning is a star

BIGBLUE01

Ranking the QB's

STARS

Quarterbacks who have overcome small holes in their games to produce in a big way and enjoy big-game success. These are consistent prime-time performers, with very little separating them from Superstar status.

1. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh

Analysis: Best improvisational quarterback in the league … has vastly improved as rhythm and timing passer … growing in his understanding of defenses and use of hot throws … growing in the discipline of the position (handling pressure, mastering how defenses are trying to attack).

2. Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia

Analysis: Huge production for an extended period of time … offense built around him … ability to extend the play makes him very hard to defend … no such thing as a dead play with McNabb … can beat the perfect defensive call because of his experience combined with strength and athleticism … sometimes inconsistent with his accuracy.

3. Eli Manning, New York Giants

Analysis: Proven winner who has become a great big-game quarterback … cerebral player … has huge responsibilities at the line of scrimmage, allowing the Giants to be very multiple on offense, paying huge dividends in the run game (almost every run they have is some sort of box-count run or is conditional on safety alignment or defensive spacing, with Manning getting the Giants into better running plays) … still shows inconsistency as a passer.

4. Kurt Warner, Arizona

Analysis: Unbelievable production across multiple systems … anticipates his throws in the passing game better than anybody … has resurrected two teams … has struggled with ball security in the pocket, though not so much last season, and can be too aggressive at times.

5. Matt Hasselbeck, Seattle

Analysis: One of the best at manipulating the pocket … as good as anybody at controlling the middle of field in the passing game, showing very good accuracy and timing between the numbers … shows creativity … has shown he can handle as much as anyone at the line of scrimmage … durability issues could be a concern.

Drew Brees and Philip Rivers are the superstar QBs?

Quarterbacks with no holes in their games who have demonstrated anability to carry their teams. They are a championship ring away fromjoining Manning and Brady among the elite. There's no game plan theseguys can't beat.

Drew Brees and Philip Rivers are the superstar QBs?

Quarterbacks with no holes in their games who have demonstrated anability to carry their teams. They are a championship ring away fromjoining Manning and Brady among the elite. There's no game plan theseguys can't beat.

What's wrong with that statement? Brees is a passing juggernaut. Rivers led the NFL in QB rating this year, and was very close to a SuperBowl appearance two years ago.

I think they are both superstars. I think Eli will be widely considered in that class after this year as well. I already think he's a superstar.

3. Eli Manning, New York Giants

Analysis: Proven winner who has become a great big-game quarterback … cerebral player … has huge responsibilities at the line of scrimmage, allowing the Giants to be very multiple on offense, paying huge dividends in the run game (almost every run they have is some sort of box-count run or is conditional on safety alignment or defensive spacing, with Manning getting the Giants into better running plays) … still shows inconsistency as a passer.

Accurate assessment.

I'd put them both in the other category because you can easily make the argument that Jay Cutler belongs up there with them.

What's wrong with that statement? Brees is a passing juggernaut. Rivers led the NFL in QB rating this year, and was very close to a SuperBowl appearance two years ago.

I think they are both superstars. I think Eli will be widely considered in that class after this year as well. I already think he's a superstar.

good pick, considering the division.

Yes I thought Rivers should of been the league MVP,His numbers in most catergories are better then Peytons last year I am not sure how Peyton got the MVP. Oh yeah and Rivers didn't have Wayne Harrison Gonzalez and Clark to throw the ball too. Yeah Vincent Jackson is no slouch but oh well