SportsWrath

Rookie's Talents

Mr. P

the dog's not picking or anything, but would you rather choose to believe that the man is actually not only able to visually identify the selected card from a deck of 52 cards that are all tossed in the air at the same time, but is also able to then quickly reach with one hand into the crowd of falling cards and successfully catch that exact card? seems kind of odd to buy into that when there are magic books out explaining how to do that very trick...

I have no problem believing its a magic trick...but nobody has explained this variation yet.

I've seen some guys do some pretty wild hand-eye feats...its not completely out of the realm of possibility that a pro athlete could pull this off without illusion. But damn, the guy would have to have incredible eye sight and eye speed too. And catching a single card in mid air isn't easy either.

I have no problem believing its a magic trick...but nobody has explained this variation yet.

I've seen some guys do some pretty wild hand-eye feats...its not completely out of the realm of possibility that a pro athlete could pull this off without illusion. But damn, the guy would have to have incredible eye sight and eye speed too. And catching a single card in mid air isn't easy either.

nicks had the card in his hand already.

its a trick where the way the cards are arranged it almost guarantees she will pick the queen of hearts.

its a trick where the way the cards are arranged it almost guarantees she will pick the queen of hearts.

I watched it again, and you can see in the slow motion replay that there is nothing in his hand as he goes to reach. I'm going to watch it one more time to see if I catch anything.

Yeah, watched it one more time and there was nothing in his hand in the slow motion replay as it reached for the card, and nothing in his off hand, either. I backed it up several times to be sure. There is no doubt in my mind that he plucked that card out of the air now.

No, it wasn't in his hand. Thats the beauty of video, we can wind it back and watch over and over. The only way I figure he didn't actually pluck it from the air is if the hostess an camera crew were in on the trick and helped to facilitate the illusion.

Remember, it wasn't a (visibly) forced draw...the hostess said 'I'm feeling the queen of hearts', then sorted through the deck until she found it. You think Hicks told her when the camera wasn't rolling, 'okay, draw any card...but make sure its the queen of hearts?'...I don't.

Anybody have an explanation that isn't easily disproved by actually watching the video?

Yeah, I just watched it over and over, pausing the slo-mo replay to try to find a card in his hand. He definitely didn't pass a card to his right hand, and his open palm is facing the camera as he reaches up to grab the card...and I don't see a card in it.

I'll tell you what guys, I knew a guy from Japan who was really into ping-pong. I mean like crazy ass, professional ping-pong, where the ball goes back and forth over the table 100+ times in a minute. The thing is, the reflexes and eye sight those guys have...well, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself, but if Hicks has eyes & hands like some of those ping-pong guys, then he could pull this trick off...without trickery.

Yeah, watched it one more time and there was nothing in his hand in the slow motion replay as it reached for the card, and nothing in his off hand, either. I backed it up several times to be sure. There is no doubt in my mind that he plucked that card out of the air now.

that's amazing...the dog thinks the giants may be on to something here. while they are at it, they should make an offer to david copperfield. once, the dog saw him on television fly off the stage in a performace, and fly right out of the theatre into the night sky. imagine lining him up at WR and having him fly above the defenders? if there is no wind that day, manning would be able to get him the ball in midair, and nobody could tackle him...the dog also once saw on tv a godlen retriever playing for a pop warner team at wide out. also a possible signing (his name was Bud, but he went by the nickname "Air Bud")...the one glitch there is that they may need to compete with the Knicks for that signing, as Air Bud was a two sport athlete and may opt for the NBA instead...the dog smells a super bowl story in the making...Burress who?

that's amazing...the dog thinks the giants may be on to something here. while they are at it, they should make an offer to david copperfield. once, the dog saw him on television fly off the stage in a performace, and fly right out of the theatre into the night sky. imagine lining him up at WR and having him fly above the defenders? if there is no wind that day, manning would be able to get him the ball in midair, and nobody could tackle him...the dog also once saw on tv a godlen retriever playing for a pop warner team at wide out. also a possible signing (his name was Bud, but he went by the nickname "Air Bud")...the one glitch there is that they may need to compete with the Knicks for that signing, as Air Bud was a two sport athlete and may opt for the NBA instead...the dog smells a super bowl story in the making...Burress who?

Your intellect is dizzying.

Listen, I'm just trying to figure out how he did it. If he did in fact pluck it out of the air then it does indeed speak to the fact that he has impressive hand-eye coordination and very quick reflexes. However, that alone would not make him a great receiver, this trick doesn't make him a great receiver, and I am not saying that, so your smart aleck commentary makes no sense and it's just you being a sarcastic idiot jabbering away at nothing.

That said, Nicks will be a great receiver nonetheless.... and I say that with confidence because of what I saw of his play at North Carolina on the field to make that assessment. This is not being a homer, I was not a fan of Nicks until it got very close to the draft and watched a lot more video on him. He has the NFL build, huge hands, and the collegiate production against quality competition that made me a believer.

If I was being a homer, I would tell you that Barden is also going to be a stud, and I personally don't feel that is the case... I am more inclined that he will not pan out as anything more than a 4th wide receiver.

Listen, I'm just trying to figure out how he did it. If he did in fact pluck it out of the air then it does indeed speak to the fact that he has impressive hand-eye coordination and very quick reflexes. However, that alone would not make him a great receiver, this trick doesn't make him a great receiver, and I am not saying that, so your smart aleck commentary makes no sense and it's just you being a sarcastic idiot jabbering away at nothing.

That said, Nicks will be a great receiver nonetheless.... and I say that with confidence because of what I saw of his play at North Carolina on the field to make that assessment. This is not being a homer, I was not a fan of Nicks until it got very close to the draft and watched a lot more video on him. He has the NFL build, huge hands, and the collegiate production against quality competition that made me a believer.

If I was being a homer, I would tell you that Barden is also going to be a stud, and I personally don't feel that is the case... I am more inclined that he will not pan out as anything more than a 4th wide receiver.

the dog's not questioning his potential...he could ultimately be a great nfl receiver...the dog's just trying to comprehend why it is easier to believe he has this kind of hand-eye coordination over just believing that he is doing a failry well known slight of hand trick...and going to the video tape isn't going to prove much, especially since you can't actually see his hand catch the card, since it goes off camara when he reaches up...

exactly, unless he has 2 separate cards of the same one she picks(because he doesnt handle the cards), then I'm going to believe it's more skill than sleight of hand.

No, it wasn't in his hand. Thats the beauty of video, we can wind it back and watch over and over. The only way I figure he didn't actually pluck it from the air is if the hostess an camera crew were in on the trick and helped to facilitate the illusion.

Remember, it wasn't a (visibly) forced draw...the hostess said 'I'm feeling the queen of hearts', then sorted through the deck until she found it. You think Hicks told her when the camera wasn't rolling, 'okay, draw any card...but make sure its the queen of hearts?'...I don't.

Anybody have an explanation that isn't easily disproved by actually watching the video?

And the Dog singles out Storm as the gullible one...thank god someone else actually watched the video. Thanks Crazed.

exactly, unless he has 2 separate cards of the same one she picks(because he doesnt handle the cards), then I'm going to believe it's more skill than sleight of hand.

thats it

ok im just telling you what my friend (a magician, not just a hobby he makes money doing magic) told me when i told him about this trick.

Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be how he does the trick in this case.

And the Dog singles out Storm as the gullible one...thank god someone else actually watched the video. Thanks Crazed.

yes..watched the video that doesn't actually show his hand catching the card...look, the dog isn't interested in singling you out, as you are not the only one believing that he could actually pick out the card visually in mid air among 51 others, and reach out and catch it in a matter of 2-3 seconds, the dog is just saying it is a trick...it is no slight on nicks...no slight on the giants...no slight on sportwrath...no slight on you...simply a trick. does the dog need to contact the masked magician to provide a workshop for the good people of sportswrath?

Nope, watch the video AGAIN. He does not have another card. Even if he did, there is no way he could be sure she would pick the queen of hearts, unless she is colluding with him, which I doubt, because this broad isn't that good of an actor. There are several points I'd like to make as evidence that he does not have an extra card:

1) He is in his receiver gloves with tape around his wrists. No sleeves.

2) As shown in the video, and the slow motion replay, you can see the back of his right hand as he goes up, and there is nothing there that he's hiding.

3) As the hand reaches up, and JUST BEFORE it goes off screen, you can see his open palm with nothing in it.

4) He immediately pulls it down and there is a card. There is no way that the card came from his glove, wrist, or hand at all.

5) His left hand does not make contact with the card or his right hand until he turns it to reveal the queen of hearts.

6) Even so, his open palm in his left hand shows nothing.

7) Prior to her throwing the cards, you can see the back of his left hand as well, also showing nothing.

I'm perfectly open to the idea that this is illusion... if someone can actually provide a plausible solution that can't be disproved by the video. I think a much more plausible solution is that he watched that card as she put it in the deck, where it was in the deck, and just followed it with his eyes the whole way up.

I tried to reproduce this trick on a small scale by trying to single out a card and catch it out of the air and couldn't do it in 4 tries. And I only used 10 cards. I caught one twice, and neither time was it the card I was targeting.

if a magician is telling me its a magic trick, im gonna believe its a magic trick.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtop...&start=0#25

heres a site where people are discussing learning how to do the same trick

and heres where you can purchase the trick:

http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cg...amp;item=009305

i dont know how its done but it is indeed a magic trick

i dont know how its done but it is indeed a magic trick

Could be, but the way Hicks is doing it, its is either one hell of a trick or hell of a lot of skill...actually, however the hell he does it, its both. I almost don't care if its an illusion or not, bottom line is I'm impressed.

If he's got that card hidden I want to know his secret because we can see both sides of his catch-hand in the video.

I think the only trick to it is that the target card has to go in the middle of the deck and the deck needs to be fanned out. That way he knows about where the card will be in the burst...too far off to either side in the deck or if the deck isn't fanned out, and his card will fly off in unpredictable directions.

yes..watched the video that doesn't actually show his hand catching the card...look, the dog isn't interested in singling you out, as you are not the only one believing that he could actually pick out the card visually in mid air among 51 others, and reach out and catch it in a matter of 2-3 seconds, the dog is just saying it is a trick...it is no slight on nicks...no slight on the giants...no slight on sportwrath...no slight on you...simply a trick. does the dog need to contact the masked magician to provide a workshop for the good people of sportswrath?

I think it's more humorous that you believe he's hiding a card inside his receiver gloves that are probably velcroed tightly on.

who the fuck cares how he executed the trick.

this debate alone obviously proves that the man is a gifted prestidigitator.

I LIKE THAT IN MY ROOKIE WRs!!!!

also fwiw did you catch the size of that kids mitts in the video? No wonder the trainer didn't have gloves on hand for him.

I am starting to get excited about this kid. I can't wait for camp.

Nope, watch the video AGAIN. He does not have another card. Even if he did, there is no way he could be sure she would pick the queen of hearts, unless she is colluding with him, which I doubt, because this broad isn't that good of an actor. There are several points I'd like to make as evidence that he does not have an extra card:

1) He is in his receiver gloves with tape around his wrists. No sleeves.

2) As shown in the video, and the slow motion replay, you can see the back of his right hand as he goes up, and there is nothing there that he's hiding.

3) As the hand reaches up, and JUST BEFORE it goes off screen, you can see his open palm with nothing in it.

4) He immediately pulls it down and there is a card. There is no way that the card came from his glove, wrist, or hand at all.

5) His left hand does not make contact with the card or his right hand until he turns it to reveal the queen of hearts.

6) Even so, his open palm in his left hand shows nothing.

7) Prior to her throwing the cards, you can see the back of his left hand as well, also showing nothing.

I'm perfectly open to the idea that this is illusion... if someone can actually provide a plausible solution that can't be disproved by the video. I think a much more plausible solution is that he watched that card as she put it in the deck, where it was in the deck, and just followed it with his eyes the whole way up.

How about the card was on a stick just out of camera shot and he just reaches up and snatches it?