SportsWrath

Tuck article, interesting tidbit about nickel package

Mr. P

Defensive end Justin Tuck's New York Giants summer questionnaire

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Tuesday June 30, 2009, 9:00 AM

Bill Kostroun/APBefore getting back to chasing down quarterbacks, Giants defensive end Justin Tuck plans to spend time advising his nephew and helping his father do lawn work in Alabama.

Our series of Giants summer questionnaires leading up to training camp continues with Pro Bowl defensive end Justin Tuck:

What are your plans for the break? "I'm going to bring my niece and nephew up and show them that, even though I play in the NFL, it takes a lot of work to get there. For some reason, my nephew thinks that, because I made it, he's going to make it, and he doesn't want to take school seriously right now. So that's the first objective for me. Second, I have my big charity event on July 13 at Slate (in Manhattan). It's a billiards tournament to benefit my charity: Tuck's Rush for Literacy. And after that, I'm going back to Alabama to help my dad do some lawn work. You'll see a Pro Bowl defensive end push-mowering a baseball field, basically."

What are your individual goals for this upcoming season? "Win. I don't really set goals. I want to play well and lead my defense in every statistical category - interceptions, batted balls, all of that. (Smiles.) Seriously, I want to be more consistent, stay healthy and have Osi (Umenyiora) take some of those double- and triple-teams away from me."

Fan submission: Who's going to be the breakout, under-the-radar guy for this team this year? "Jay Alford. Listen to our lineup in nickel: Kiwi (Mathias Kiwanuka) at left end, Jay at left tackle, me at right tackle, Osi at right end. Who are they not going to double-team there? (Alford?) Exactly. Plus, he got his eye fixed, so that'll cut his reaction time in half."

A word about that last response: Alford recently had surgery to straighten out a lazy eye. Alford told our Jenny Vrentas it was strictly cosmetic and that his vision is the same as it was before the procedure. But Alford obviously wanted to correct something that's been bugging him for a while, so good for him. Tuck was simply jabbing Alford with that statement above. That's what those D-linemen do. You'd better not be thin-skinned if you want to play in that group.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/06..._tucks_new.html

I like the nickel package on the defensive line with Kiwi, Alford, Tuck, and Osi. That means Tuck and Osi will be side by side on the rush! It is somewhat curious, though, that neither Bernard or Canty will play on the nickel, as both are good pass rushers. I'm sure, however, that the Giants coaching staff likes this look to go with it, and I think it's going to be pretty damn effective.

I like the nickel package on the defensive line with Kiwi, Alford, Tuck, and Osi. That means Tuck and Osi will be side by side on the rush! It is somewhat curious, though, that neither Bernard or Canty will play on the nickel, as both are good pass rushers. I'm sure, however, that the Giants coaching staff likes this look to go with it, and I think it's going to be pretty damn effective.

I think he just mentioned the guy he's friends with. I don't think he revealed any defensive scheme.

I think he just mentioned the guy he's friends with. I don't think he revealed any defensive scheme.

Tree, he pretty much said it matter of factly. I don't think that it's a big deal that he said this, like it's a huge secret. Here it is again:

Fan submission: Who's going to be the breakout, under-the-radar guy for this team this year? "Jay Alford. Listen to our lineup in nickel: Kiwi (Mathias Kiwanuka) at left end, Jay at left tackle, me at right tackle, Osi at right end. Who are they not going to double-team there? (Alford?) Exactly. Plus, he got his eye fixed, so that'll cut his reaction time in half."

I don't see it as that much of a surprise.

Alford is a very good passrusher and the other guys are pretty well established.

I think Canty will end up as the probable starter at NT, splitting time with Cofield

Bernard was brought in as insurance for Robbins at UT; between Robbins, Bernard and Alford, this is really solid

With that said, we will certainly mix it around a little bit personnel wise. Canty and Alford will likely see some reps at DE

Sintim will get time at DE in passing downs and presumably there will be a 4th DE, likely Evans or Henderson

I am alot more concerned for our Nickle LBs with Boley hurt. None are really solid in coverage.

(I still have doubts as to whether Robbins (and Boley for that matter) will be ready to go from the start of the season, they could start the season on PUP)

Tree, he pretty much said it matter of factly. I don't think that it's a big deal that he said this, like it's a huge secret. Here it is again:

Yeah but he could have mentioned any of the DTs and it'd be equally plausible. And he just wanted to get the eye jab in.

Yeah but he could have mentioned any of the DTs and it'd be equally plausible. And he just wanted to get the eye jab in.

thats what i thought too.

because the article says it was purely a vanity surgery

thats what i thought too.

because the article says it was purely a vanity surgery

That and the fact that they probably don't know any of the details until after training camp. Two of our DTs are new, our DC is new, we've got personnel back that weren't here last year...even if Alford is listed for the nickel package it's probably only in pencil.

That and the fact that they probably don't know any of the details until after training camp. Two of our DTs are new, our DC is new, we've got personnel back that weren't here last year...even if Alford is listed for the nickel package it's probably only in pencil.

Good point... it's only the beginning of July.

I don't see it as that much of a surprise.

Alford is a very good passrusher and the other guys are pretty well established.

I think Canty will end up as the probable starter at NT, splitting time with Cofield

Bernard was brought in as insurance for Robbins at UT; between Robbins, Bernard and Alford, this is really solid

With that said, we will certainly mix it around a little bit personnel wise. Canty and Alford will likely see some reps at DE

Sintim will get time at DE in passing downs and presumably there will be a 4th DE, likely Evans or Henderson

I am alot more concerned for our Nickle LBs with Boley hurt. None are really solid in coverage.

(I still have doubts as to whether Robbins (and Boley for that matter) will be ready to go from the start of the season, they could start the season on PUP)

I agree with everything Pete except for Alford seeing time at end. Did he see any time there last season? I don't recall seeing him there but I could be mistaken. And like you said, if Robbins isn't ready to go at the start of the season they won't be taking guys away from the interior unless depth is lost at DE, but right now DE is pretty stacked.