SportsWrath

Are the NY Giants still a top ten NFL team?

JackStroud

1- Their HC is ancient, and out of touch with the generation of people he leads

2- Their best co-ordinator, maybe best DC in the NFL is gone

3- Their 2 starting WRs are gone

4- most of the defensive backs with long term experience are gone

5- they probably field the physically least able MLBer in the NFL and he plays every down, a tremendous liability in pass coverage

6- they lost 5 out of their last 6 games last season

7- their arch-rival Philly has re-tooled and maybe on the verge of another dominance period

(both teams tend to run off long winning streaks against one another historically)

8- Their #1 RB in terms of total yardage last year is gone

9- They play in ancient depressing and decrepit stadium that is scheduled to be demolished after the next season while all other NFC East play in relative palaces.....

10- their season ticket holders have grown old and largely silent

11- their QB is lets face it, an average QB at best

In other words the Giants need a spark, new blood, something to return them to form. They had a good draft, and brought in some quality free agents. Perhaps the new WRs will blossom, and Ahmad Bradshaw will get quality minutes.

Heaven help us if he fumbles in pre-season. Having said that Danny Ware may just be the new "Jeremy Shockey" type emergent talent that can propel them.

should be an interesting season to be sure

1- Their HC is ancient, and out of touch with the generation of people he leads

2- Their best co-ordinator, maybe best DC in the NFL is gone

3- Their 2 starting WRs are gone

4- most of the defensive backs with long term experience are gone

5- they probably field the physically least able MLBer in the NFL and he plays every down, a tremendous liability in pass coverage

6- they lost 5 out of their last 6 games last season

7- their arch-rival Philly has re-tooled and maybe on the verge of another dominance period

(both teams tend to run off long winning streaks against one another historically)

8- Their #1 RB in terms of total yardage last year is gone

9- They play in ancient depressing and decrepit stadium that is scheduled to be demolished after the next season while all other NFC East play in relative palaces.....

10- their season ticket holders have grown old and largely silent

11- their QB is lets face it, an average QB at best

In other words the Giants need a spark, new blood, something to return them to form. They had a good draft, and brought in some quality free agents. Perhaps the new WRs will blossom, and Ahmad Bradshaw will get quality minutes.

Heaven help us if he fumbles in pre-season. Having said that Danny Ware may just be the new "Jeremy Shockey" type emergent talent that can propel them.

should be an interesting season to be sure

1. Their HC was just ranked by SI.com as the #2 top HC. He completely changed his style and it brought results.

2. Many coordinators benefit from the talent they have at hand. Spags was a great DC, but the talent he had is still on hand, and in fact is even more stacked.

3. Toomer was aging and could no longer be considered a top 2. Plax was a total distraction. Given an entire offseason to gameplan, I have no problems with the WR corp.

4. And they had plenty of time to pass on that experience. Webster is playing like a top 5 CB. Ross is coming into season #3 where he should reach his peak.

5. I'm going to ignore this one. We all know of your issues with Pierce. Given your track record I wouldn't put it past you to put together a bogus top 11 list just to rant about Pierce.

6. On a large part because Plax was such a big part of their offensive gameplanning. Killdrive designed the offense around having Plax in. Not because of Eli needing him but because of what Plax brought. Without him you can't expect a complete turnaround overnight. Well...you could.

7. Their O-line is still a question mark. Their star RB is only getting older and more injury prone. Their WR corp is as reliant on young players as ours.

8. And the skillset he brings can easily be reproduced by Bradshaw. Ware has shown good things. And Brown has had a great start. And the best part? All three of those players are going to be coming out of the backfield behind the SAME o-line Ward had.

9. This has nothing to do with how they will perform. And Giants Stadium is anything but decrepit. Many question why the Giants/Jets are even spending money on a new stadium. This one just cries desperation.

10. Their season ticket holders have been old and decrepit for years now. That is NOT a new factor.

11. See #5

12. Jack is a troll who does nothing but criticize his "own" team while only appluading either the completely obvious or backups, and I seriously question his allegience to the Giants.

1. Their HC was just ranked by SI.com as the #2 top HC. He completely changed his style and it brought results.

2. Many coordinators benefit from the talent they have at hand. Spags was a great DC, but the talent he had is still on hand, and in fact is even more stacked.

3. Toomer was aging and could no longer be considered a top 2. Plax was a total distraction. Given an entire offseason to gameplan, I have no problems with the WR corp.

4. And they had plenty of time to pass on that experience. Webster is playing like a top 5 CB. Ross is coming into season #3 where he should reach his peak.

5. I'm going to ignore this one. We all know of your issues with Pierce. Given your track record I wouldn't put it past you to put together a bogus top 11 list just to rant about Pierce.

6. On a large part because Plax was such a big part of their offensive gameplanning. Killdrive designed the offense around having Plax in. Not because of Eli needing him but because of what Plax brought. Without him you can't expect a complete turnaround overnight. Well...you could.

7. Their O-line is still a question mark. Their star RB is only getting older and more injury prone. Their WR corp is as reliant on young players as ours.

8. And the skillset he brings can easily be reproduced by Bradshaw. Ware has shown good things. And Brown has had a great start. And the best part? All three of those players are going to be coming out of the backfield behind the SAME o-line Ward had.

9. This has nothing to do with how they will perform. And Giants Stadium is anything but decrepit. Many question why the Giants/Jets are even spending money on a new stadium. This one just cries desperation.

10. Their season ticket holders have been old and decrepit for years now. That is NOT a new factor.

11. See #5

12. Jack is a troll who does nothing but criticize his "own" team while only appluading either the completely obvious or backups, and I seriously question his allegience to the Giants.

ok you dont seem to see any danger

let me quote an old TV show though "danger will robinson".........your glossing over the end of season collapse atributing it to one player is weak

ok you dont seem to see any danger

let me quote an old TV show though "danger will robinson".........your glossing over the end of season collapse atributing it to one player is weak

I hardly attributed it to one player.

Jack you are a sad human. You claim allegiance to a team but do everything in your powers to show its weakness. Of course any sports fan can see weakness in their team. You seemingly take enjoyment in it. Which is why I do not believe you are truly a Giants fan.

Jack you are a sad human. You claim allegiance to a team but do everything in your powers to show its weakness. Of course any sports fan can see weakness in their team. You seemingly take enjoyment in it. Which is why I do not believe you are truly a Giants fan.

Makes you appreciate me, dont it? :blush:

These are all really good points

We do have and excellent team culture and plenty of young talent which should step up and improve. After all we have had alot of players do that for us in the past. (esuch as when the liked of Shockey, Tiki, Pettigout, Strahan, Will Allen+Will Peterson).

These issues are largely unproven at this point, we just have to be patient and see how things unfold on the field.

I think there is plenty of reason for Giants fans to be optimistic and hope for a good season. But there certainly is a considerable element of risk for sure.

We have a good roster but not a great roster. But a great team is better then the sum of the individuals, that is what the Giants do very well and how we won SBXLII. I can't help feeling the Giants are maybe a season away from having a great roster, we have most of the pieces in place, but just need a couple more.

shall I go on and on about all the things the Giants have going for them......there are many many good players and reasons for hope. We are but one season removed from a Trophy season

I thinks its more fun and realistic to point out the weak spots ......as a GM you don't stay up at night thinking about all the good things you have going. Rather your looking for weakness and trying to improve

just as you look for competitors weaknesses and try to exploit them

If I were a competitor OC I would game plan the Giants by trying to get Pierce in single coverage on a RB or tight end all day long

If I were Reese and Coughlin I would be trying hard to fill that hole.....they seem to ignore it

Lubeck if you look at the Giants Preview post on this page I think you owe me some form of apology.

The Giants are a team at a crossroads. If they are not willing to make some fundemental improvements and changes they stand a 30% chance of missing the playoffs entirely. I concur

Its easy to look backwards. The real pros can tell you what is coming as we move on down the road.

The year 2008 Lombardy Trophy gaurantees us not one single victory going forward. In the NFL every year is a new year, and every victory is earned in blood.

I hope and realize we could win it all this year. I've been a Giants fan and NFL football fan long enough to know teams can rise and fall very very fast from year to year. Actually If I had to pick a team in decline this year it would be the Cowboys.

We will likely repeat last years record baring the emergence of some of the new talent and those getting big playing time for the 1st time. Keeping Pierce at MLBer is a sentimetal thought on the parts of fans and the coaches.....he definitely needs reduced playing time at the least.

Well I don't share Jack's total cynicism.

But one cause for concern has to be the health of this team, especially at the LB and DT spots.

On the WR, I have a good feeling about this group in 09', I think the giants passing attack will surprise a lot of teams. As long as Gilbride can get his ass in gear and call some decent plays for once.

Giants have a big unknown at receiver but more importantly at the DC position...we just aren't sure what kind of coordinator Sheridan will be. Hopefully he's agressive like Spags and not laid back like that loser Tim Lewis.

A Giant defense which was #5 in the league last year brings in Boley (injured), Canty, Bernard, Sintim, and the return of Osi indicates the same ferocious D that Giants brought in the beginning of 2009 to the entirety of 2010-11 season.

On offense, it all starts with the continuity of an o-line playing together for 4-5 years, a QB who can step it up... when it counts, still the best stable at RB 1-3 possibly 1-4, and alot of above average receiving options all with great quickness.

The Giants are a young, talented, hungry, and well coached team that has been to the play-offs the last 4 years.

Oh, they also have a ring!

I think they should get some cred, but if not you will see for yourself in the near future.

A Giant defense which was #5 in the league last year brings in Boley (injured), Canty, Bernard, Sintim, and the return of Osi indicates the same ferocious D that Giants brought in the beginning of 2009 to the entirety of 2010-11 season.

On offense, it all starts with the continuity of an o-line playing together for 4-5 years, a QB who can step it up... when it counts, still the best stable at RB 1-3 possibly 1-4, and alot of above average receiving options all with great quickness.

The Giants are a young, talented, hungry, and well coached team that has been to the play-offs the last 4 years.

Oh, they also have a ring!

I think they should get some cred, but if not you will see for yourself in the near future.

all good points

I especially have great hopes for the recharged D and Danny Ware

Let the Games Beginnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn as that boxing announcer wold say

The Giants are a talanted well coached team.

with good chemistry.

There are a few items that make your cross over the

line into playoff and Superbowl territory.

1) team injury

2) being hot at the right time

3) Some luck

Noone can foresee those items.

The Giants are well stocked with talent and are just as capable

as any team in the NFL to go all the way.