SportsWrath

He is no Kenny Britt....but

Lubeck

Robiskie would be a nice pickup, BUT...he's at best, a good no.2 reciever. He's been tied to the Giants in a lot of articles in the past 2 months.

There's a couple of interesting prospects that the Giants have already tried out including:

Small school prospect
Ramses Barden, 6' 6" 228 lbs. Cal Poly

Barden enrolled at Cal Poly in 2004, but did not play that season because of his redshirt status. He then started all of the team's thirteen games in 2005, accounted for 655 yards on 40 receptions (16.4 average) and nine TD. Again, he started on all of Cal's games (11) in 2006, grabbing 42 passes for 824 yards(19.6) and five TD. Barden had a breakout 2007 campaign catching 57 passes for 1,467 yards with an impressive 25.7 average. He also scored a personal best 18 TD, earning him all Great West Football Conference honors following each of his first three seasons. Following his spectacular 2007 campaign, Barden was named to the FCS All American First Team.

A big receiver who knows how to use his body, Barden is more quick than fast (4.55). But, Barden has a knack for getting open behind defenders, being able to gain yards after the catch.
He is a physical wide out
who is not afraid to block. However, he is not a fluid athlete, his route running needs work.

Barden is somewhat viewed as a sleeper. He does have some good traits, but he is far from a finished product. He needs better conditioning and his route running needs plenty of work. Barden will also drop some balls, which is always a concern. Some Draft boards have Barden going on the first day, but I think he is a reach even in the fifth round.

The big knock on this guy is his speed, however it is the same or slightly better than Plax's speed. Tall guys don't usually have a burst off the line, but when they get their speed up, they start losing the little CBs in the dust.

I'd love to see the Giants snatch this guy up and see if he can cut it against big time competition. But I don't see him being a factor for a couple of years.

Besides Robiskie, the Giants also are linked to Nicks, Harvin, and Heyward-Bey.....all no.2 possession-type recievers (IMHO). Britt (IMO) is the only prospect (apart from Crabtree) that is a big target and potential no.1. But again, probably no less than at least a year or two away from being an impact player.

I suspect the Giants will trade for Edwards and still pickup at least one more reciever - hopefully Britt.

Robiskie would be a nice pickup, BUT...he's at best, a good no.2 reciever. He's been tied to the Giants in a lot of articles in the past 2 months.

There's a couple of interesting prospects that the Giants have already tried out including:

Small school prospect
Ramses Barden, 6' 6" 228 lbs. Cal Poly

Barden enrolled at Cal Poly in 2004, but did not play that season because of his redshirt status. He then started all of the team's thirteen games in 2005, accounted for 655 yards on 40 receptions (16.4 average) and nine TD. Again, he started on all of Cal's games (11) in 2006, grabbing 42 passes for 824 yards(19.6) and five TD. Barden had a breakout 2007 campaign catching 57 passes for 1,467 yards with an impressive 25.7 average. He also scored a personal best 18 TD, earning him all Great West Football Conference honors following each of his first three seasons. Following his spectacular 2007 campaign, Barden was named to the FCS All American First Team.

A big receiver who knows how to use his body, Barden is more quick than fast (4.55). But, Barden has a knack for getting open behind defenders, being able to gain yards after the catch.
He is a physical wide out
who is not afraid to block. However, he is not a fluid athlete, his route running needs work.

Barden is somewhat viewed as a sleeper. He does have some good traits, but he is far from a finished product. He needs better conditioning and his route running needs plenty of work. Barden will also drop some balls, which is always a concern. Some Draft boards have Barden going on the first day, but I think he is a reach even in the fifth round.

The big knock on this guy is his speed, however it is the same or slightly better than Plax's speed. Tall guys don't usually have a burst off the line, but when they get their speed up, they start losing the little CBs in the dust.

I'd love to see the Giants snatch this guy up and see if he can cut it against big time competition. But I don't see him being a factor for a couple of years.

Besides Robiskie, the Giants also are linked to Nicks, Harvin, and Heyward-Bey.....all no.2 possession-type recievers (IMHO). Britt (IMO) is the only prospect (apart from Crabtree) that is a big target and potential no.1. But again, probably no less than at least a year or two away from being an impact player.

I suspect the Giants will trade for Edwards and still pickup at least one more reciever - hopefully Britt.

i agree, except that i think heyward-bey, while raw, could develop into a no.1. hes 6'3 with blazing speed. but it would take a few years.

and you just really dont know how someone will end up playing in the nfl.

i agree, except that i think heyward-bey, while raw, could develop into a no.1. hes 6'3 with blazing speed. but it would take a few years.

and you just really dont know how someone will end up playing in the nfl.

The only problem is we are set up to win now. We can't wait for Heyward, or any other WR to develope down the road. Our window of opportunity is closing.

The only problem is we are set up to win now. We can't wait for Heyward, or any other WR to develope down the road. Our window of opportunity is closing.

i wasnt suggesting getting heyward, or any other wr to develop down the road.

but i dont think our window is closing. we are still very young

I agree. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Eli. But I also believe that he has to have two things to excel:

1) a great offensive line to give him protection and sufficient time to stick to a planned play

and

2) a group of good recievers and a number one who will spread the field, be a homerun threat and always draw double coverage.

Without both of these things in place, I fear Eli would be fairly average. Eli is a thinking man's QB who is extremely intelligent. He can read defenses quickly and accurately. But his football sense exceeds his athletic abilities. He is not going to make things happen all the time when a plan falls apart like Favre did for years. He has to have a plan for each play and the plan has to unfold pretty much on the mark and plans work best when the field is spread wide. Don't get me wrong, he can make the occassional unbelievable play....but that is not his forte. Eli reminds me so much of Roger Staubach who won games with his head rather than his athletic ability and was the master of the 2-minute drill winning games in the last seconds. Staubach's mind was like having a great coach's ability to read defenses and exploit the weaknesses right on the field in the middle of playmaking.

Regardless, we got the O-line - however, a good backup or two would be nice. But we don't have a true WR that will consistently draw double coverage and spread that field. I don't think a rookie can be that man this season....not even Crabtree.

That's why we MUST (IMO) get Edwards and get him up to our team's speed as quickly as possible.

Weaknesses:

Just average speed and quickness...Not very explosive and lacks a burst...Has trouble getting separation...Not real elusive and doesn't do a lot after the catch...Isn't much of a vertical threat...Upside is limited.

I know they have to mention "weaknesses".. but correct me if I'm wrong... is anyone who's big really fast and explosive? That's like saying yea... the hummer is durable but it's faster than the camaro... no shit shirlock

I know they have to mention "weaknesses".. but correct me if I'm wrong... is anyone who's big really fast and explosive? That's like saying yea... the hummer is durable but it's faster than the camaro... no shit shirlock

i want a hummer thats faster than the camaro

I absolutely disagree with this. if anything, what reese and co have done is made sure that for at least the next 5 years we are competitive, in terms of superbowl caliber. And right now with this next draft we're more likely to ensure that we are even deeper than last year. even if we went just made the playoffs this year, this team would lose one or two more pieces and still be a top dog.

We have needs yes, but there's maybe 1 team out there that wouldn't want to have our squad and that's the Steelers.

I absolutely disagree with this. if anything, what reese and co have done is made sure that for at least the next 5 years we are competitive, in terms of superbowl caliber. And right now with this next draft we're more likely to ensure that we are even deeper than last year. even if we went just made the playoffs this year, this team would lose one or two more pieces and still be a top dog.

We have needs yes, but there's maybe 1 team out there that wouldn't want to have our squad and that's the Steelers.

I dont know, Im pretty envious of the Lions.

:ph34r: