SportsWrath

Mets GameDay Thread

Allstarjim

I know this is late... but wanted to have some comments on this game because it is historic as well as a nailbiter as of now.

As for Pelfrey, I don't think he's right. It looks like his fastball is consistently 92, with him topping out at 94 once or twice. Last year I thought it was mid-90's, usually 94-95, topping out at 97 when he really amps one up. This few mph's seem to really make a difference, because he lives and dies on his fastball. When you have a pitcher from the Mexican league getting a hit off of you in your first at bat your stuff is a little to hittable.

I think Pelfrey needs to develop a splitter, he could really be great if he had pretty good splitter. But, tough pitch to throw effectively. Anyone else see it different?

Looks like the new field will not surrender a lot of dingers. Beltran tattooed that ball to center and it never had a chance. Wright got all of his homerun and it landed in the first 3 rows of left field. I hope that it helps Reyes, though, because he can run for ages if it goes to that deep gap in right center.

His sinker looks flat, and it almost looks like he is rushing his delivery

Well it's so early in the season, you can't bury him after two starts, but I'm mildly concerned. Perhaps he just needs to get that arm strength up a little more. Hopefully by the allstar break we will be talking about how dominant he's pitching, which is a very real possibility.

Reyes looked like he didn't have a clue as to how to hit Moreno's changeup there.

Mets on the verge of coming up small in a close game YET AGAIN. New season, same Mets.

Why was Pedro Feliciano immune in this bullpen makeover, anyway? When was the last time the guy came up big in a close game? Not only was he retained, but the Mets made him their ONLY lefty bullpen reliever going into the season, and I can't figure why. Certainly, other cheap, effective lefties were on the market and may still be out there. All I know is that I'm sick already in 2009 of seeing the Mets play bad baseball in crunch time in close games. And that goes for the hitters, too.

AA, really impressed with Bell tonight. I know he had to be really amped up for this game, an important one as the Mets open their new ballpark, and I know Heath really wanted to spoil the party for the team that gave up on him too soon. I wouldn't have been surprised if he came in there over-throwing and walking batters, but he didn't. He maintained a good composure and set the Mets down. Pads will be fine with him as their closer. If only more of the Mets hitters had that mentality with the game on the line.

AA, really impressed with Bell tonight. I know he had to be really amped up for this game, an important one as the Mets open their new ballpark, and I know Heath really wanted to spoil the party for the team that gave up on him too soon. I wouldn't have been surprised if he came in there over-throwing and walking batters, but he didn't. He maintained a good composure and set the Mets down. Pads will be fine with him as their closer. If only more of the Mets hitters had that mentality with the game on the line.

yeah, i wanted hoffman gone last year cuz i was that confident in bell. in all honesty i liked bell a lot when he was on the mets and was thrilled as soon as i heard about the trade.

im not bragging or anything but the pads have an incredibly good record in one-run games over the past 15 years or so. even when they are bad they are competitive when it's close, so i wouldn't get too discouraged with this game, and at least wright is starting to hit

Talk to me when baseball is being played in weather that is not football weather. These early struggles will work themselves out.

I will ask it again though, would you rather have Putz, Rodriguez and Sheffield or Lidstrom, Bell and Manny?

Talk to me when baseball is being played in weather that is not football weather. These early struggles will work themselves out.

I will ask it again though, would you rather have Putz, Rodriguez and Sheffield or Lidstrom, Bell and Manny?

OK, so it's not a rhetorical question? I think you're comparing apples to oranges. The inclusion of Sheffield and Manny just doesn't work. One is a $400K pinch hitter who will get occasional starts versus lefties, the other is a $20 mil per year full time player, that would necessitate Murphy going to the bench or AAA, because neither Murphy nor Manny can play right field.

Here's my answer:

I would much prefer Putz and Rodriguez to Lidstrom and Bell, with all respect to the latter two. As for our outfield, I prefer it the way it is as opposed to having a Manny/Beltran/Church outfield, because of the "Manny being Manny" factor, he's not worth the money.

I like Murphy and am glad he's in the two hole.

OK, so it's not a rhetorical question? I think you're comparing apples to oranges. The inclusion of Sheffield and Manny just doesn't work. One is a $400K pinch hitter who will get occasional starts versus lefties, the other is a $20 mil per year full time player, that would necessitate Murphy going to the bench or AAA, because neither Murphy nor Manny can play right field.

Here's my answer:

I would much prefer Putz and Rodriguez to Lidstrom and Bell, with all respect to the latter two. As for our outfield, I prefer it the way it is as opposed to having a Manny/Beltran/Church outfield, because of the "Manny being Manny" factor, he's not worth the money.

I like Murphy and am glad he's in the two hole.

we all love murphy, Manny could play LF, you could possibly play Murphy at 1B and have dealt Delgado on the last year of his deal away for prospects and also had that 13 million to play with. Its not an outrageous thought or one that could have occured had Omar not contradicted himself in his personnel doings for 2 years.

BTW, Sheff is gonna play a lot on this team and will play RF as much or more than everyones hero Ryan Church.

we all love murphy, Manny could play LF, you could possibly play Murphy at 1B and have dealt Delgado on the last year of his deal away for prospects and also had that 13 million to play with. Its not an outrageous thought or one that could have occured had Omar not contradicted himself in his personnel doings for 2 years.

BTW, Sheff is gonna play a lot on this team and will play RF as much or more than everyones hero Ryan Church.

So far Sheff hasn't gotten 1 start. I think his first one will be today. Everything I've heard so far is that Sheff will only play versus lefties, and even then not every time. Ryan Church will get way more starts than Sheff. Not sure where you are getting your information on this, xxi... the only way Sheff gets as many starts as Church is if Church gets hurt. Manuel isn't going to hurt his OF defense that much, that many games, either.

Lindstrom looks pretty shaky as a closer. I would have him on board as an 8th inning guy or a smaller role, but I'll take Putz over him.

Why couldn't we sign Andruw Jones over sheff?

Lindstrom looks pretty shaky as a closer. I would have him on board as an 8th inning guy or a smaller role, but I'll take Putz over him.

Why couldn't we sign Andruw Jones over sheff?

I was with you until you said Andruw Jones, gateb! That guy is more than done! Stick a fork in him!

So far Sheff hasn't gotten 1 start. I think his first one will be today. Everything I've heard so far is that Sheff will only play versus lefties, and even then not every time. Ryan Church will get way more starts than Sheff. Not sure where you are getting your information on this, xxi... the only way Sheff gets as many starts as Church is if Church gets hurt. Manuel isn't going to hurt his OF defense that much, that many games, either.

My opinion is that somehow Church will either get hurt or produce his usual very ordinary numbers and the lineup will need Sheffields right handed bat, thus he will play more than Church. No indo, my opinion and one that is shared by many who realize Ryan Church is what he is.

My opinion is that somehow Church will either get hurt or produce his usual very ordinary numbers and the lineup will need Sheffields right handed bat, thus he will play more than Church. No indo, my opinion and one that is shared by many who realize Ryan Church is what he is.

Well, xxi, I realize what Sheffield is... 40... as in years old.

Couple that with Citifield being a vast park with undulating walls... and Citi might have the most challenging right field defensively speaking than any park in MLB.

And Church is a good defensive player (despite the dropped ball a couple of days ago. Sheffield is a defensive liability.

For the record, Church is hitting .407 so far. He is better than a 4th outfielder, and my opinion is also shared by many.

Holy Shit, I just realized what Jim wrote.

Sorry guys, this semester is doing a number on me mentally.

Hey Golfin', grades are more important. I'll try to pick up slack when I can. Good luck with your classes, buddy.

I know this is late... but wanted to have some comments on this game because it is historic as well as a nailbiter as of now.

As for Pelfrey, I don't think he's right. It looks like his fastball is consistently 92, with him topping out at 94 once or twice. Last year I thought it was mid-90's, usually 94-95, topping out at 97 when he really amps one up. This few mph's seem to really make a difference, because he lives and dies on his fastball. When you have a pitcher from the Mexican league getting a hit off of you in your first at bat your stuff is a little to hittable.

I think Pelfrey needs to develop a splitter, he could really be great if he had pretty good splitter. But, tough pitch to throw effectively. Anyone else see it different?

Looks like the new field will not surrender a lot of dingers. Beltran tattooed that ball to center and it never had a chance. Wright got all of his homerun and it landed in the first 3 rows of left field. I hope that it helps Reyes, though, because he can run for ages if it goes to that deep gap in right center.

Kudos to me.