SportsWrath

Sports Illustrated Picks New York to win it all

xxi-xxv

Didn't the Sporting News pick the Yankees to win it at? I hate these dumb predictions.

Yeah but they are obliged to do it. The so-called experts wouldn't be able to hang their hats on their knowledge if they couldn't predict a winner. The fact that we year after year still respect their opinions isn't their fault.

Yeah but they are obliged to do it. The so-called experts wouldn't be able to hang their hats on their knowledge if they couldn't predict a winner. The fact that we year after year still respect their opinions isn't their fault.

Problem is, anyone with half a brain can no longer respect SI. The Mets are clearly not a WS caliber team, shit they are not even a 1st place team IMO.

Problem is, anyone with half a brain can no longer respect SI. The Mets are clearly not a WS caliber team, shit they are not even a 1st place team IMO.

Wow....I am a Yankees fan and even I find it hard to believe you could think that. If games we only 7 innings long the Mets would have dominated the NL East. Their off-season fix was signing the two guys that would eliminate their 7/8/9 inning problems. As a Yank fan I can see the Mets are a team to deal with....what is so different about your team from last year that having reliable 8/9 relievers won't get you the wins?

Wow....I am a Yankees fan and even I find it hard to believe you could think that. If games we only 7 innings long the Mets would have dominated the NL East. Their off-season fix was signing the two guys that would eliminate their 7/8/9 inning problems. As a Yank fan I can see the Mets are a team to deal with....what is so different about your team from last year that having reliable 8/9 relievers won't get you the wins?

They are the Mets, simple as that

XXI has criticized the Mets for not having a true leader, that the team is soft. In a way, I agree with him. On the same token, though, I believe the Mets have enough talent to win it all. The need to have relative good health among the regulars, though, because the team is not deep. A couple of wild cards is Fernando Martinez and Nick Evans, who will probably be called up some time this year. If they provide a spark, this team can avoid the late-season swoon that has plagued them the last couple of years. But the team doesn't seem to have a leader like the Phillies with Jimmy Rollins, the Red Sox with Pedroia, or like Hanley on the Marlins. Reyes is too lackadaisical. Beltran and Delgado are too reserved, and David Wright doesn't seem to be a natural leader. One guy who I think can do it is K-Rod. But it's not ideal for a guy hanging out in the bullpen to be your team leader.

XXI has criticized the Mets for not having a true leader, that the team is soft. In a way, I agree with him. On the same token, though, I believe the Mets have enough talent to win it all. The need to have relative good health among the regulars, though, because the team is not deep. A couple of wild cards is Fernando Martinez and Nick Evans, who will probably be called up some time this year. If they provide a spark, this team can avoid the late-season swoon that has plagued them the last couple of years. But the team doesn't seem to have a leader like the Phillies with Jimmy Rollins, the Red Sox with Pedroia, or like Hanley on the Marlins. Reyes is too lackadaisical. Beltran and Delgado are too reserved, and David Wright doesn't seem to be a natural leader. One guy who I think can do it is K-Rod. But it's not ideal for a guy hanging out in the bullpen to be your team leader.

Two words, Daniel Murphy

Two words, Daniel Murphy

I hope so, jranieli. A lot to ask of a rookie. He'll have to do it with his play first, I don't think the vets will tolerate him trying to be a vocal leader before he earns it on the field first.

I do not think we can count on Martinez anytime soon for anything other than a prospect name in a potential trade.

As far as having a leader, I think that Wright can lead, its just that this team has a collection of players(particularly the latin ones)who do not want a leader. What I think Wright can do is be the guy that shows Murphy and Evans the way.

As for the late season, its really this simple. If they do not blow games in the bullpen and actually get some clutch hits after the 7th inning they should be ok. It will be very curious to see who the available players are at the July 31st trade deadline as this could land the Mets another big bat and potentially send some guys who should be bench players back to the bench and solidify that weakness you spoke of.

One thing I would like to see is the spring in the step of Carlos Deglado and Carlos Beltran I saw when they were representing Puerto Rico. Its a shame they do not act like that when representing the Mets, who have made it possible for generations of their families to never have to work a day in their life.

I do not think we can count on Martinez anytime soon for anything other than a prospect name in a potential trade.

As far as having a leader, I think that Wright can lead, its just that this team has a collection of players(particularly the latin ones)who do not want a leader. What I think Wright can do is be the guy that shows Murphy and Evans the way.

As for the late season, its really this simple. If they do not blow games in the bullpen and actually get some clutch hits after the 7th inning they should be ok. It will be very curious to see who the available players are at the July 31st trade deadline as this could land the Mets another big bat and potentially send some guys who should be bench players back to the bench and solidify that weakness you spoke of.

One thing I would like to see is the spring in the step of Carlos Deglado and Carlos Beltran I saw when they were representing Puerto Rico. Its a shame they do not act like that when representing the Mets, who have made it possible for generations of their families to never have to work a day in their life.

I'm not counting on F-Mart either... nor am I counting him out!

Totally agree with what you said about Beltran and Delgado.

• 4 weeks later...