SportsWrath

Feb. 27

so-cal dub

I think Reese becomes very active this FA period. Mostly on offense, we need young talent to fill quite a few voids. I dont think we can rely on the draft. Our #1 and #2 receivers gone (if you count Plax). We dont have any development OL players except for Whimper who has yet to show anything besides quick feet. We released to defensive backs and a RB today. I dont think we will go after any DBs, which says a lot for Reese who came in with shitty DBs. Releasing Drougns was odd to me, giving the fact that we could possibly lose both Jacobs and Ward.

Should be a fun FA period, I cant wait.

I think Reese becomes very active this FA period. Mostly on offense, we need young talent to fill quite a few voids. I dont think we can rely on the draft. Our #1 and #2 receivers gone (if you count Plax). We dont have any development OL players except for Whimper who has yet to show anything besides quick feet. We released to defensive backs and a RB today. I dont think we will go after any DBs, which says a lot for Reese who came in with shitty DBs. Releasing Drougns was odd to me, giving the fact that we could possibly lose both Jacobs and Ward.

Should be a fun FA period, I cant wait.

Boothe?

wich leads me to believe Jacobs will be back with out a doubt. And ward hanging on by a thread.

Reese better move his ass on this Jacobs deal. The last thing we want is for him to hit the open market.

This post got me thinking... what if Reese lets Jacobs hit the open market? I think Jacobs is asking for the moon right now. But the thing is, the NFL is FLOODED with good running backs. Where is he going to go? The Eagles could use him, but they have other problems to address and have already committed big bucks to Westbrook. Are they really going to shell out major dollars for a guy whose physical style almost guarantees he will have to miss at least a few games a season? Maybe, but maybe not.

Same goes for Washington. Dallas wouldn't get him because they have the nice one-two punch of Barber-Jones.

A team I could see getting him is New England. But they don't like to pay top dollar for free agents. It goes against their philosophy.

What I am saying is that they might let Jacobs hit the open market and have him realize that the market will not bear what he wants, thereby putting the Giants in a much better negotiating position. Couple that with the fact that there are two tremendous RB's in the draft in Beanie Wells and Knowshon Moreno that will likely be available for most of the first round.

He's a great talent, and almost any team would like to have him... but what team has a need that will justify his large cost, where they can't adequately address it with a cheaper alternative? The Dodgers are doing the same thing with Manny Ramirez and it's working in their favor... there doesn't seem to be a market for Manny anywhere near his asking price.

However, this is a VERY risky strategy.

You know, Steven Jackson and the Rams are currently in this same position. A high risk, high reward free agent out there is Ricky Williams.

Also, not sure if any of you are aware but Jacobs and Ward aren't our only free agent running backs right now. Danny Ware is also a free agent. He is a guy I would like to see compete for the 3rd string role in camp/exhibition season.

I'm just throwing out some wacky alternatives out there, so don't kill me. I definitely want Jacobs back and would be crushed if he signed elsewhere. But I want him to be reasonable.