SportsWrath

Mets extend three-year offer to Lowe

Jay Lesner

The Mets have acted on their remaining offseason priority, extending highly sought right-hander Derek Lowe a three-year offer for approximately $36 million, according to a report in the New York Times.

Citing "people who have been briefed on the discussions" between the Mets and agent Scott Boras, the Times' report is the first word of a specific offer having been presented to Lowe, who will turn 36 in the spring.

Lowe, 14-11 with a 3.24 ERA for the Dodgers last season, entered the free-agent market with a price generally perceived as $90 million for five years. His suitors have included the Red Sox, Phillies and -- at least until they reeled in both CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett -- the Yankees.

Adding a starting pitcher is Mets general manager Omar Minaya's driving objective. There is little debate about Lowe being No. 1 on that wish list, with the Mets also remaining interested in re-signing their own free-agent starter, Oliver Perez. The left-hander, eight years younger than Lowe, went 10-7 last season with a 4.22 ERA.

Boras represents both pitchers.

I hope Lowe signs. If he signs for this much, I hope we'll be able to grab Perez as well. If they sign Lowe, I think the Mets will finally make the playoffs.

I hope Lowe signs. If he signs for this much, I hope we'll be able to grab Perez as well. If they sign Lowe, I think the Mets will finally make the playoffs.

I really like Derek Lowe, and hoped all along he'd the be one they would go after. I think he's exactly the gritty type of veteran this team needs. I agree about bringing Perez back, too.

Santana

Lowe

Pelfrey

Perez

Maine

That would be a nice rotation to go with what should be a stronger bullpen.

Hopefully they sign them and start working on some bats!

Lowe reportedly isn't satisfied with our offer.

Yeah Dragon, I think this is just positioning. I think the Mets knew all along that 3 years at 12 mil per wasn't going to get it done. I think they are waiting on a counter offer from Boras so they can meet in the middle. Thing is, I don't think Boras wants to play ball right now because he has no leverage. It doesn't really look like the Mets have any real competition for Lowe so maybe Boras is just being patient hoping that another team or two jumps in the mix.

My guess is that the Mets will eventually settle with Lowe on a 3 year, $14 million per season deal with a club option for a 4th year at $15 or $16 million.

Mets will not sign Lowe and Perez

I would be fine with Santana, Pelfrey, Lowe, Maine and some collection of Niese or some other young dude with the potential to go get another starter later on if needed

with this pen now we should only need 7 innings and then let the pen take over, of course knowing the Mets Putz and KRod will probably become Wagner and Benitez

Mets will not sign Lowe and Perez

I would be fine with Santana, Pelfrey, Lowe, Maine and some collection of Niese or some other young dude with the potential to go get another starter later on if needed

with this pen now we should only need 7 innings and then let the pen take over, of course knowing the Mets Putz and KRod will probably become Wagner and Benitez

I am hardly a baseball guy but you can't expect Putz/Krod to clean up every game. You need starters who will give your pen a sizable lead to work with and even me a guy who hardly follows baseball knows your starters right now are nothing to be scared of aside from Santana.

I am hardly a baseball guy but you can't expect Putz/Krod to clean up every game. You need starters who will give your pen a sizable lead to work with and even me a guy who hardly follows baseball knows your starters right now are nothing to be scared of aside from Santana.

Well if you knew baseball you would know that Pelfrey and Maine are proven 2 and 3 type guys and their pen blww 29 saves so I would say if they do their average years the team will win more games.

29 blown saves, not 9 twenty fucking nine ..... this team is fine if the pen performs.

Stick to football bro .....

Well if you knew baseball you would know that Pelfrey and Maine are proven 2 and 3 type guys and their pen blww 29 saves so I would say if they do their average years the team will win more games.

29 blown saves, not 9 twenty fucking nine ..... this team is fine if the pen performs.

Stick to football bro .....

I'll stick to football all I am saying is your bullpen is no different except for 2 guys who you can't rely on for every game. Putz/Krod will not be out there every game.

I'll stick to football all I am saying is your bullpen is no different except for 2 guys who you can't rely on for every game. Putz/Krod will not be out there every game.

of course not every game, but every game with a lead from the 7th inning on and they should not blow 29 saves. Johan should have had 23 wins had it not been for the pen.

One more starter is all that is needed Mets 1-4 with one more starter are as good as any team in the NL.

Think about that 29 saves blown, thats like 69 years for Mariano. Cut that in half the Mets win the NL east by 10

Incorrect. You are forgetting Sean Green, who was acquired in the Putz trade, who is a big time groundball pitcher. With Schoenweis, Heilman, and Joe Smith gone, I can't see how you think it's "no different". Plus, Stokes, who pitched mostly in AAA last year, will likely see a larger role this year. He pitched pretty well down the stretch.

Sean Green will be a major factor in the bullpen this year, he was not just a throw-in.

Plus Minaya is not done. Once this starter situation works itself out, we will probably find another lefty to add to the bullpen.

Also there is also the potential for Duaner Sanchez to regain his arm strength from pre-accident days and returning to form.

No matter what happens, this bullpen will be a force to be reckoned with next year.

Lowe will probably be a Met as well.

This has been a huge change in bullpen personal over 1 year. Only 3 guys on last years pen will be on it next year.

Last Year's Bullpenn (* 5 Guys no longer with the team)

- Wagner*.

Heilman*.

Smith*

Feliciano

Schoenweis*

Ayala*

Sanchez

With Stokes appearing towards the end.

This Years potential Bullpenn. (**New to the Pen)

-K-Rod**

-Putz.**

-Feleciano

-Sanchez

-Stokes

-Sean Green**

And we'll see competition amongst in the Pen for Rocky Cherry**, Eddie Kunz**, Parnell/Niese**, Muniz, Darren O'Day**, Connor Robertson**.

Incorrect. You are forgetting Sean Green, who was acquired in the Putz trade, who is a big time groundball pitcher. With Schoenweis, Heilman, and Joe Smith gone, I can't see how you think it's "no different". Plus, Stokes, who pitched mostly in AAA last year, will likely see a larger role this year. He pitched pretty well down the stretch.

Sean Green will be a major factor in the bullpen this year, he was not just a throw-in.

Plus Minaya is not done. Once this starter situation works itself out, we will probably find another lefty to add to the bullpen.

Also there is also the potential for Duaner Sanchez to regain his arm strength from pre-accident days and returning to form.

No matter what happens, this bullpen will be a force to be reckoned with next year.

Lowe will probably be a Met as well.

I call Sean Green as AJ's new Angel Pagan :P