SportsWrath

yeah we dont need burress. hixon can step right in for him and we wont miss a beat

Herc

For those saying Hixon's drop cost us the momentum (I agree) and likely the game (I dissagree) than i say this. We had ALL of the momentum going into the half after the blocked FG for the TD, everyone on the sidelines and the field and we at home were jumping out of out shoes and we clearly had the momentum swing going into half time. Then what happens? We come out in the 3rd quarter and get 1 possession for like 6 plays in the 3rd while we can't stop the Eagles offense.

The Hixon drop, while huge, didn't affect the outcome of the game, imho.

the dog might only argue that perhaps there was some lingering effects of the chaos of the week as per the burress situation. aside from that, this was one of those games. It was a rare occassion in recent times that the giants were out-coached, and played with less intensity, which again, could be the lingering hang-over of what occurred. after this past week, you really can't say that the burress situation costs them any games.

not saying we would've won with burress, but people were putting hixon in the hall of fame during the burress arguments last week. that hixon drop was HUGE

True enough.

But unless we can find a way to warp the time-space continuum and talk Burress out of smuggling a loaded illegal handgun into his sweat pants, we need to play the hand we're dealt.

I think this is a good wakeup call to the offense - they can't just show up on the field and expect the opposing defense to swoon in fear.

the dog might only argue that perhaps there was some lingering effects of the chaos of the week as per the burress situation. aside from that, this was one of those games. It was a rare occassion in recent times that the giants were out-coached, and played with less intensity, which again, could be the lingering hang-over of what occurred. after this past week, you really can't say that the burress situation costs them any games.

QUOTE (AdmiralAwesome @ Dec 7 2008, 02:52 PM)

not saying we would've won with burress, but people were putting hixon in the hall of fame during the burress arguments last week. that hixon drop was HUGE

the games might've been bigger but in the context of a game dropping a td is much worse than dropping a 3rd down pass.

im not saying burress would've 100% caught that pass, in fact im not saying he would've even been in that spot as the defense would've played us differently and our play calling wouldn't have been identical to what it ended up being. All I'm saying is that burress isn't this expendable nobody that doesn't make a difference and that dominick hixon has a long way to go before we can just insert him into burress' spot and expect our offense to be just as good as it's been

Ofcourse it is, but if we had lost the superbowl those 3rd down drops would've been huge. Much more so than a TD drop in our second loss in 13 games.

I agree, Burress may not even have been open like that. There likely would've been another defender over the top.

I also agree Burress isn't expendable, but no matter how bad we want him in, he's gone. We've played four games without him and we're 3-1 in that respect. Hixon being the leading receiver in two of those 4. He's not Burress, but the sky isn't falling either (and I realize you're not suggesting it is).

i just thought there was a little too much bravado from some of us in JR's thread. yeah we were 11-1 after losing strahan and osi but eventually the lost players will start to take their toll and just becuase the dude isn't likable and wasn't putting up all-pro numbers this year doesn't mean he's any less important to our team.

we'll be okay, our team had a down game. This may be the final wake up call we needed and that's okay. I don't like it, but we have to deal with it.

I think we'll be well served by a tough outing that shakes us...now we have to ask our young WR core to do more and we need Gilbride to adjust to the fact that our WR will all draw single coverage and the pressure will be coming to Eli, so we need route assigmnents that make sense for that pressure.

QUOTE (AdmiralAwesome @ Dec 7 2008, 02:52 PM)

the dog agrees...at the same time, losing burress should not be the piece that derails the giants. the dog thinks the burress loss had an impact yesterday due to the distraction piece, after that, it is done. but your right, it is very premature to say that hixon is a great receiver or can easily fill in at that position...he has certainly shown some promise, but they will have to live with the young mistakes and drops...

the dog agrees...at the same time, losing burress should not be the piece that derails the giants. the dog thinks the burress loss had an impact yesterday due to the distraction piece, after that, it is done. but your right, it is very premature to say that hixon is a great receiver or can easily fill in at that position...he has certainly shown some promise, but they will have to live with the young mistakes and drops...

i dont think losing burress will derail the giants--i just think it's a bigger loss than some in JR's burress thread were saying it was.

we dont pass to set up the run, we run to set up the pass--that's how we're built. i'd love to hear one pass that plax ever dropped that was as big as the one hixon dropped. that was a sure td, and we lost by 6--just saying....

Sure we do. Of course we are a run first team. But if the run isnt there, you can get it going again by completing some deep balls. This isnt rocket science.

I cant think of one this year. Then I cant remember Plax being a big part of any game this year.

burress was big part of any game where he was on the field and the other wr's had good days--they can thank plax for their single coverage and eli can thank him for that many less blitzes. also, the running game can thank burress for all those great blocks he threw

burress was big part of any game where he was on the field and the other wr's had good days--they can thank plax for their single coverage and eli can thank him for that many less blitzes. also, the running game can thank burress for all those great blocks he threw

And we can thank him for now being a huge distraction, with a hole in his leg. Our WR's had a great game last week, but they couldnt thank Plax, cause he was home nursing a bullet hole. You act like it was us the fans that took him off the field. He did this to him self, and Im not going to waste one second crying over his dumb ass choices.

And we can thank him for now being a huge distraction, with a hole in his leg. Our WR's had a great game last week, but they couldnt thank Plax, cause he was home nursing a bullet hole. You act like it was us the fans that took him off the field. He did this to him self, and Im not going to waste one second crying over his dumb ass choices.

yeah he was a total jerk and hurt the team as a result--no arguments here. but sometimes you gotta take the bad (what just happened) with the good (superbowl last year) and i'll take this trade-off 100 times out of 100

We did not lose this game because of no Burress. We lost this game because for the first time in a long long time the Giants were not focused and did not win the battle up front. They played this game, as I a fan watched it with an attitude of "eh its cold, were 11-1, so what if its the Eagles". The Giants just did not come to play and this does happen quite often when a team has a 3 game lead in its division with 4 to play, IMO seeing games like this and what the Titans did against the Jets a few weeks ago adds more credence to what the 07 Pats did.

Anyway, as for Burress anyone that thinks this offense will not miss him is kidding themselves. Yes the production is down, way down in fact, but the mere presence of him makes it different for a defense. Teams almost always rolled their coverage towards Plax, often moving the safety out of the middle of the field(a defensive staple in the JJ Eagles defense) and opening up passing lanes. This did not happen yesterday. Not why we lost, but the facts are the facts.

As for Hixon, I think he is a good player, but he is almost at this point like the 4th outfielder in baseball that plays for the injured guy for 20 games and hits 400, but when he has his chance to start he fizzles. Not that Hixon will fizzle, but this idea he will become some sort of 1000 yard threat with nothing to go on then some short bodies of work is silly. I still think his best contributions come on ST's and you can see how different KO returns are with Moss. My guess is Hixon wishes he can have that ball back, did it cost them the game? No, but you have to wonder if the Eagles play their pass defense a tad less tight had he caught that ball. Keep in mind the wind was so bad that for half the game both teams had no downfield passing game, it was that bad and that dificult to throw.