SportsWrath

One Spags play call I don't like...

BurnThePhilFans

It is nitpicking but I have one gripe with a particular Spag play call. That play where we have the corner Blitz from the quarterbacks throwing side. You can spot it a mile away and that receiver is always open for like a 6 yard gain before the safety slides over for the tackle. It's a great play call on 3rd down if they have like a 3rd and 10, but I don't get the call when its first down. Its like a guarenteed 6 yards. Do any of you guys notice this? We have done it a few times this season.

It is nitpicking but I have one gripe with a particular Spag play call. That play where we have the corner Blitz from the quarterbacks throwing side. You can spot it a mile away and that receiver is always open for like a 6 yard gain before the safety slides over for the tackle. It's a great play call on 3rd down if they have like a 3rd and 10, but I don't get the call when its first down. Its like a guarenteed 6 yards. Do any of you guys notice this? We have done it a few times this season.

I noticed it glaringly, once in yesterday's game. I believe it was the final drive and it was very nearly a game changing mistake because Ben Roethlisberger is a pretty good QB and spotted it immediately. If not for Kenny Phillips making a great open field tackle that game would have been going to OT.

On a side note, when do we get to see what Kenny Phillips can do as starter!? He looked amazing out there....and his unnecessary roughness penalty was BS.

I noticed it glaringly, once in yesterday's game. I believe it was the final drive and it was very nearly a game changing mistake because Ben Roethlisberger is a pretty good QB and spotted it immediately. If not for Kenny Phillips making a great open field tackle that game would have been going to OT.

On a side note, when do we get to see what Kenny Phillips can do as starter!? He looked amazing out there....and his unnecessary roughness penalty was BS.

Agreed. Kenny Phillips was a madman yesterday. Our once shitty secondary is becoming the toast of the league. Young too. :)

Agreed. Kenny Phillips was a madman yesterday. Our once shitty secondary is becoming the toast of the league. Young too. :)

Phillips is a hitting machine! And not the Roy Williams, "I can't make a play on the ball so I'll just deck the guy before the ball gets there" type, either.

He doesn't make up for James "Where'd Da Receiver Go?!" Butler. That was the single worst example of coverage I've ever seen.

If you noticed the next few plays there, Webster was showing blitz and backed off quickly to cover the receiver. If the QB makes the mistake of throwing to that receiver again, Webster has a pick 6. If the QB doesn't go there, he still has it in his head that he has to look that way before he can get back to his first read and go through his progression which gives the DL an extra second of rush time. It's designed to confuse the QB on later plays, not always on that exact play.

I want his fucking head. Now.

Butler has serious coverage problems, he's always late helping out but you have to wonder about the fact that he was out on his own against the receiver like that. Usually the corner will switch off and take the receiver, so there had to be a breakdown in assignment on that.

Other than that he was pretty good. Phillips did a nice job yesterday also.

Butler has serious coverage problems, he's always late helping out but you have to wonder about the fact that he was out on his own against the receiver like that. Usually the corner will switch off and take the receiver, so there had to be a breakdown in assignment on that.

Other than that he was pretty good. Phillips did a nice job yesterday also.

The breakdown was in Butler's brain. He was there but he backed away from the receiver after the catch instead of knocking him out of bounds. He had the right angle to contain the play and completely backed off it. That should never, ever have been a TD play.

The breakdown was in Butler's brain. He was there but he backed away from the receiver after the catch instead of knocking him out of bounds. He had the right angle to contain the play and completely backed off it. That should never, ever have been a TD play.

I didn't say he shouldn't have made the tackle, clearly he should have, but my point was he shouldn't have been isolated on a wide receiver that deep like that.

I didn't say he shouldn't have made the tackle, clearly he should have, but my point was he shouldn't have been isolated on a wide receiver that deep like that.

And my counter-point to your point on his isolation was that it wasn't nearly the worst part.

The only other time I can remember him doing it was on the first and 10 on Pitt's last drive. Ben quickly rushed one into traffic where Phillips was converging and it was nearly picked. If it wasn't Sweed would've been whacked.

He called a great game sunday.

part of what makes his schemes effective is that you never know when and from what angle the blitz is coming...the dog guesses this may be done to break a tendency and keep offensive coordinators on their heels, as they can never get too comfortable...it also could be based on the other team's tendency - if it is on first down, the team may have a tendency to run off tackle, use playaction, or throw mid range routes that take longer to develop - sending the corner can disrupt all of these plays...

THat play did look awful but I'm willing to give Butler a pass.. fuck it we won.