SportsWrath

What Record Will It Take to Win The East?

Gman329

Looking around the NFC and at the schedules and figuring we'll all beat each other up a bit, I think 11-5 just might get you the #1 seed and home field throughout the playoffs. Washington might be our toughest comp (easiest remaining schedule) and the game down there the Sunday after Thanksgiving looms as the pivotal game. If we win that and have the tiebreaker against them, I see two playoff games in the windy swamp.

So if we go 6-4 the rest of the way, Philly could go 7-3 and not catch us, Dallas 6-3 and not catch us, Washington 6-3 and as long as one of those 3 losses is to us, they wouldn't catch us. Anyone see any of those teams doing better than that?

So the question is, can we beat Washington down there and go 6-4? If so, we're home for January!

Looking around the NFC and at the schedules and figuring we'll all beat each other up a bit, I think 11-5 just might get you the #1 seed and home field throughout the playoffs. Washington might be our toughest comp (easiest remaining schedule) and the game down there the Sunday after Thanksgiving looms as the pivotal game. If we win that and have the tiebreaker against them, I see two playoff games in the windy swamp.

So if we go 6-4 the rest of the way, Philly could go 7-3 and not catch us, Dallas 6-3 and not catch us, Washington 6-3 and as long as one of those 3 losses is to us, they wouldn't catch us. Anyone see any of those teams doing better than that?

So the question is, can we beat Washington down there and go 6-4? If so, we're home for January!

Nice homework! I think that the Giants will do better than 6-4, but it is the NFL! I think the Giants finish no worse than 7-3, with a fair possibility of finishing 8-2.

Nice homework! I think that the Giants will do better than 6-4, but it is the NFL! I think the Giants finish no worse than 7-3, with a fair possibility of finishing 8-2.

the dog would say that is fairly ambitious seeing that the schedule consists of 5 divisional games, the ravens, panthers, cardinals and vikings...at least the 8-2 or 7-3 aspect...but it is the nfl, so...

I think we beat the Cowboys at least once and probably twice, I like our chances against the Skins, and we split against the Eagles. I give no respect to the Ravens or Vikings, and think that we split between the Panthers and Cardinals, but like our chances in both games.

Therefore, I think 7-3 is very possible IMO, and if a little luck is on our side... 8-2.

I think we beat the Cowboys at least once and probably twice, I like our chances against the Skins, and we split against the Eagles. I give no respect to the Ravens or Vikings, and think that we split between the Panthers and Cardinals, but like our chances in both games.

Therefore, I think 7-3 is very possible IMO, and if a little luck is on our side... 8-2.

the divisional games are up for grabs all around...the dog sees a split with the eagles and cowboys...the dog does not like the chances as much against the redskins. why you wouldn't respect the raven's defense is questionable, but if push comes to shove, the dog sees that as a giants win...the cardinals and the panthers could both be potential losses, but a split is more likely...the dog would never bet against the vikings when they play the giants, and most recent times the dog would come out ahead...factor a loss to the steelers as very possible, and the dog is looking at 5-5/4-6...the dog also said back a few weeks ago in a similar thread that 5-5 down the stretch with this schedule is realistic and admirable...

the divisional games are up for grabs all around...the dog sees a split with the eagles and cowboys...the dog does not like the chances as much against the redskins. why you wouldn't respect the raven's defense is questionable, but if push comes to shove, the dog sees that as a giants win...the cardinals and the panthers could both be potential losses, but a split is more likely...the dog would never bet against the vikings when they play the giants, and most recent times the dog would come out ahead...factor a loss to the steelers as very possible, and the dog is looking at 5-5/4-6...the dog also said back a few weeks ago in a similar thread that 5-5 down the stretch with this schedule is realistic and admirable...

The allstar respects the dog's opinions. I do have respect for the Ravens 'D'. Great respect. But I feel that the strength of OUR 'D' is our run defense, meaning, Joe Flacco will have to win that game with his arm and I don't see that happening. I think we win a low scoring affair like 17-6 in that one.

As far as the Vikings, we have matured a lot since the last game against them, and I see this game as a revenge game. They are a tough team, but I think we run the ball on them well and win a close game 24-17.

And the Skins... I know they play well against us and we split with them last year... and on paper I think they can cause us match up problems, particularly with Cooley.... but I just think our defense rises to the occasion and we win.

You may very well be right. It is a tough road but I like our chances.

In recent years (including this year) I feel we match up best against Washington (out of any team in the NFC East). We do a pretty good job against Portis. What scares me is when the Giants go up against quick backs and teams with some confusing play calling (like Philly). For some reason, even when Philly has bad seasons, games with them scare me more than games against the Cowboys and Redskins.

11-5 with a 4-2 record in division.

Good point on the importance of the divisional record. I'd further clarify that the 4-2 divisional record, will have to include beating Washington, since I see them no worse than 4-2, either.

Then again, we could go 4-6, sneak in at 9-7 and run the table on the road all the way to the Super Bowl again! I could live with that, too.

The allstar respects the dog's opinions. I do have respect for the Ravens 'D'. Great respect. But I feel that the strength of OUR 'D' is our run defense, meaning, Joe Flacco will have to win that game with his arm and I don't see that happening. I think we win a low scoring affair like 17-6 in that one.

As far as the Vikings, we have matured a lot since the last game against them, and I see this game as a revenge game. They are a tough team, but I think we run the ball on them well and win a close game 24-17.

And the Skins... I know they play well against us and we split with them last year... and on paper I think they can cause us match up problems, particularly with Cooley.... but I just think our defense rises to the occasion and we win.

You may very well be right. It is a tough road but I like our chances.

the dog is in agreement - whoever comes out of that division will have traveled a tough road indeed...

we go 4 - 2 in the division and we will win it. Sure we had easy games early but we won all but 1 of them. 4 - 2 in the division ( 3 - 2 the rest of the way ) should do it.

Washington will go 4-2, also. Write it down. Won't matter if we win 12 games, as you suggest but if we win 11, we'll have to sweep Washington to win the East. More I think about it, right now, sitting here going into Week 8, that Redskin game in DC, 11/30, is the biggest game of the year...or at least our biggest potential net gain.

• 1 month later...

:TD:

:P

;)