SportsWrath

Mike Nolan - Gone

gfd_2

I like Mike Nolan, but I think some coaches are meant to be assistants, and others are better head coaches. That doesn't mean he doesn't know his stuff....he's actually a really good X and O guy.

On the flip side, Mike Singletary finally gets his chance, and I wish him the best of luck....always respected that guy.

On the flip side, Mike Singletary finally gets his chance, and I wish him the best of luck....always respected that guy.

Yeah when I first heard about it I was worried they might go to Martz since he has HC experience. Good luck Singletary.

I like Mike Nolan, but I think some coaches are meant to be assistants, and others are better head coaches. That doesn't mean he doesn't know his stuff....he's actually a really good X and O guy.

i never was a big fan of his style when he was defensive coordinator for the giants. he thinks everything should flow from the secondary as opposed to the line. applied the same principles in SF with similar results. decent secondary and swiss cheese line.

He is a modern day Rod Rust style read and react coach. I don't want my DT's thinking too much ....I want them to be able to forge ahead and hit people in the mouth. My DE's should be able to tell the difference between a misdirection play, pass and straight ahead run. Nothing more or less. I don't want them going through 4 or 5 keys and then respond to it before they make a play.

Nolan was a poor choice to begin with. He's had 4 years and several high drafts and they spent a shitload on free agents last year. He's just not head coach material. I doubt Singletary is either.

This is the 49ers we're talking about...the Redskins of the NFC West...it's not like they bring in good, solid team players...no, no, they go by who had one statistically good year, such as Nate Clements or any one of their overated or over the hill Wide Receivers....they have no offensive line, can't draft(especially when it comes to Quarterbacks...the last good one they had was friggin Steve Young...)...the only thing that team has going for it is a solid group of young linebackers. Patrick Willis is a beast and when Takeo Spikes is one of your back ups in a 3-4, you know you're pretty solid at that position.

I'd say that team's problems start and end with management and firing Nolan for Singletary is nothing more than a Band-Aid....

This is the 49ers we're talking about...the Redskins of the NFC West...it's not like they bring in good, solid team players...no, no, they go by who had one statistically good year, such as Nate Clements or any one of their overated or over the hill Wide Receivers....they have no offensive line, can't draft(especially when it comes to Quarterbacks...the last good one they had was friggin Steve Young...)...the only thing that team has going for it is a solid group of young linebackers. Patrick Willis is a beast and when Takeo Spikes is one of your back ups in a 3-4, you know you're pretty solid at that position.

I'd say that team's problems start and end with management and firing Nolan for Singletary is nothing more than a Band-Aid....

Yes, but for a couple of years the 49ers were being accused of being cheap and not getting players and letting their guys go, last year they go out and overpay for some guys like Clements/ Michael Lewis, they also got the defensive end ( I forgot his name). Walt Harris etc. Those guys were better than what they had before.They struck gold with Willis and Davis at TE might pan out. Frank Gore is a solid running back who has had some huge games. They are not short of talent, they simply aren't coached very well. Plus Nolan handled the QB situation very badly. Smith is not inspiring in any way, but Nolan goes out and gives in to Mike Martz and starts O'Sullivan because Martz had him before. Ignoring the fact that the guy has never been a starter before and has been released from several teams already. On Sunday, you saw why.

Yes, but for a couple of years the 49ers were being accused of being cheap and not getting players and letting their guys go, last year they go out and overpay for some guys like Clements/ Michael Lewis, they also got the defensive end ( I forgot his name). Walt Harris etc. Those guys were better than what they had before.They struck gold with Willis and Davis at TE might pan out. Frank Gore is a solid running back who has had some huge games. They are not short of talent, they simply aren't coached very well. Plus Nolan handled the QB situation very badly. Smith is not inspiring in any way, but Nolan goes out and gives in to Mike Martz and starts O'Sullivan because Martz had him before. Ignoring the fact that the guy has never been a starter before and has been released from several teams already. On Sunday, you saw why.

O'Sullivan is definitely garbage. I would have been so pissed if I saw Eli scramble and throw the ball out of bounds 5 times a game...especially considering O'Sullivan could have at least picked up a few yards running if he hadn't been a pansy...

linky

Kind of surprising since he's got a new QB - only started 7 games. Good luck landing somewhere else.

this is a team that has made no progress at all under his tenure...the dog liked him, but the results, or lack there of speak for themselves...in the nfl today, with free agency being what it is, coaches really don't have the opportunity to stay for extended times without producing some level of progress...and that progress typically has to result in at least a playoff appearance...