SportsWrath

Analyzing the Front Line

BleedinBlue

The Giants front line used to be a huge problem, but has settled down to be one of the best in the league (IMO), but I have to wonder if it wasn't more to do with having Shockey and Hedgecock keeping the pieces together.....one of the primary reason for Shockey's unhappy ending with the Giants.

My big concern last year was depth. I don't remember much about Booth playing, but he was the primary backup for both Snee and Suebert. Also, I never really thought Whimper was an adeqaute replacement for Diehl. So anyway, I always thought we were one injury away from disastor...that is if Snee, Suebert, or Diehl (or any combination) went down for the season.

This is last years setup:

RT - Reggie Kareem McKenzie, Adam Koets

OG - Chris Snee, Kevin Booth (played rg and lg)

C - Shawn Ohara, Guy Ruegamer

OG - Rich Suebert, Kevin Booth (played rg and lg)

LT - David Diehl, Guy Whimper

But this year, we have some good looking rookies and a veteran battling for backup positions:

RT - Reggie Kareem McKenzie, Adam Koets, Carnell Stewart (starter for nat. champ. LSU), Jacob Hobbs (SUNY Albany)

OG - Chris Snee, Kevin Booth (played rt-G and lft-G), Andrew Bain (Miami, All Big East 1st team)

C - Shawn Ohara, Guy Ruegamer, Glenn "Digger" Bujnock (Cincinnati - All Big East 1st team), Derrick Morse (Miami)

OG - Rich Suebert, Shane Olivea (3 yr starter for Chargers), Earl Cager (SE Louisiana), Christian Capote (Clemson)

LT - David Diehl, Guy Whimper, Dylan Thiry (NWest All Big 10 2nd team), Theodric Watson (South Florida)

---------------------------------

My hunch is that Whimper and Booth are apt to be replaced this year and I'm guessing Olivea makes the team and probably Bain because they gave him a contract last week and he was highly rated at draft time (4 out of 5 stars) and projected to go in the 2nd or 3rd round, but went undrafted.

One of the areas I thought that the Giants missed in the draft was pulling in a good LT to back up Diehl, but it doesn't seem to be a worry the coaches as much as it worries me.

Has anyone follwed the front line close enough to see who is having a standout showing during training?

Any thoughts on what this season's front line is going to look like?

I'm hearing Koets (last year's only draft dud) has really turned it on this year. Also, I tought Olivea was going to be a backup for either McKenzie or Diehl... isn't Olivea a tackle?

Whimper has been mostly quiet, but I thought he looked decent filling in for DD in limited action last year. Doesn't Reugamer back up both center and guard?

Overall, I actually think we're in better shape this year than last. I like how we're looking.

I agree that we are in better shape this year because I think Bain and Olivea are excellent players that have been thrown in the mix. Unfortunately, it's difficult to find out a lot about what's going on in camp concerning the younguns brought in.

Developing a front line is difficult because it takes a lot of time to get everyone to work as a single unit...always knowing what the guy next to you is doing so you can cohesively keep the defense at bay or work the defense to make a hole.

I expect Koets and Bain to slowly work into full time roles, but it could be years away. I also think Olivea is a top shelf player and would still be starting for the Chargers if he didn't get addicted to prescription drugs. I've always had questions about Whimper and I've seen him look bad more than a few times. But like any fan, I have very, very limited insight as to what the coaches are looking for in a player and how each player stands up to the coaches scrutiny. Maybe he's much better than I give him credit.

All I know is that I used to bite my nails worrying about the front line and it's been really nice not having to worry sick about that part of the game. Hopefully, it gets even better this year and there is a top shelf backup player to step in at each position when necessary.

---------------------

And yeah....Olivea was a tackle, not a guard. He played right tackle for the Chargers so I don't know if the Giants are working him into a left tackle spot behind Diehl. I will be happy when there is a quality backup at left tackle.

I think we'll have a very sound line, with injuries being the great wild card. We've got enough quality depth to plug one or two holes.

Another great benefit is that the line has been settled for years. A good offensive line is always greater than the sum of it's parts.

that sucks for him. We do have depth and he was just probably a luxury that might have turned out well. I imagine he would have made the team, so this opens an extra spot for maybe an extra wide receiver like Tyree who has been on the bubble. That is too bad though. I hope he is able to resurrect his career.

When Whimper came in last year against the Bucs in the playoffs when Diehl cramped up we saw a few things. The man has tremendous size and very quick feet for that size. He played well in that limited spot and showed why the coaches love him. No way he goes anywhere.

that sucks for him. We do have depth and he was just probably a luxury that might have turned out well. I imagine he would have made the team, so this opens an extra spot for maybe an extra wide receiver like Tyree who has been on the bubble. That is too bad though. I hope he is able to resurrect his career.

Reports are that Olivea is done for good. Most likely will take an injury settlement. Chronic back pain was probably the reason why he got involved with the pain killers in the first place. Too bad for him.