SportsWrath

Phillips Signed!

socalscholar

NEW YORK (TICKER) —While the New York Giants will begin the defense of their Super Bowl title without tight end Jeremy Shockey, they reportedly will have all seven of their draft picks ready for training camp, including first-round selection Kenny Phillips.

The New York Post reported Tuesday night that the Giants inked the 6-2, 210-pound safety just in time for training camp in Albany, New York on Thursday. Terms of the deal were not reported.

According to Giants team spokesman Avis Roper, the team will not confirm the deal until it is official.

Phillips, who was taken with the 31st overall pick, was impressive during rookie workouts and figures to push second-year free safety Michael Johnson for the starting job. Newly acquired Sammy Knight and James Butler will compete for the starting nod at strong safety.

A 21-year-old who played at Miami, Phillips was the last draft pick to sign with the defending champions.

The signing comes just one day after New York traded the controversial Shockey to the New Orleans Saints for second- and fifth-round picks in 2009.

Avis tries harder.

--link--

Kenny Phillips deal with NY Giants: five years and up to $11.15 million

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Tuesday July 22, 2008, 7:09 PM

Just wanted to update the previous report of S Kenny Phillips deal with the Giants by providing the terms of the contract. It's a five-year deal worth up to $11.15 million. Considering the Jets gave Dustin Keller (30th overall) a reported $8.5 million ($12 million total), I'd say the real value of the deal (minus escalators and incentives) is slightly more than $8 million. I haven't been able to find out what's guaranteed and how much the signing bonus was, but I'll keep asking.

MG

Very good news.

Wow that is cheap. And more in line with what a rookie should be paid. I think I could get used to the Giants drafting late in the rounds.

Well, Safeties don't usually get paid alot of money to start with.