SportsWrath

Draft/FA thoughts

BigPete

With Free Agency well under way, the Giants draft needs are starting to shape up

Let me know what you think

I am assuming:

1. the Giant's do not end up signing LaVar Arrington.

2. the Giants sign a free agent DT, such as Grady Jackson

3. the Giants sign a free agent QB, such as Mike McMahon

Draft

#25 OLB Ernie Sims, Florida State, 5-11 1/8, 231 lbs, 4.50 40 time

A quality OLB prospect with great speed and athleticism. Sims is a very good tackler, good coverage skills.

#56 WR Derek Hagan, Arizona State, 6-1 3/4, 208 lbs, 4.42 40 time

A quality WR prospect with good size, decent speed and hands.

#87 LB Leon Williams, Miami (FL), 6-3, 245 lbs, 4.54 40 time

A good LB prospect with great speed and athleticism and good tackler. Slightly limited development due to being behind Vilma and minor injury problems.

#123 CB Will Blackmon, Boston College, 6-0 1/4, 198 lbs, 4.46 40 time

A talented CB prospect with all the physical tools to be a quality NFL CB. Will take some time to develop as he has spend considerable time at WR.

#153 LB Brandon Johnson, Louisville, 6-4 7/8, 228 lbs, 4.44 40 time

A talented small school OLB prospect with great speed and athleticism.

#184 OC Patrick Ross, Boston College, 6-3 1/2, 301 lbs, 4.96 40 time

A good C prospect to add quality depth behind O'Hara

#215 OT Donald Penn, Utah State, 6-4 1/4, 317 lbs, 5.25 40 time

A small school OT prospect with good athleticsm and quickness, is a decent run blocker.

Draft Note: In each round I went with best player available at postions the Giants are looking to upgrade.

My Giants roster would be something like:

Offense

Quarterback

Eli Manning

Mike McMahon

Tim Hassleback

Running Back

Tiki Barber

Brandon Jacobs

Derrick Ward

Chad Morton

Full Back

Jim Finn

Wide Receiver

Plaxico Burress

Amani Toomer

Derek Hagan*

Jamaar Taylor

David Tyree

Tight End

Jeremy Shockey

Visanthe Shiancoe

Sean Berton

Tackle

Kareem McKenzie

Luke Petitgout

Bob Whitfield

Donald Penn*

Guard

David Diehl

Chris Snee

Rich Seubert

Center

Shaun O'Hara

Pat Ross*

Defense

Defensive Tackle

William Jospeh

Grady Jackson

Fred Robbins

Kendrick Allen

Defensive End

Michael Strahan

Osi Umenyiora

Justin Tuck

Eric Moore

Linebacker

Reggie Torbor

Carlos Emmons

Antonio Pierce

Ernie Sims*

Leon Williams*

Chase Blackburn

Brandon Johnson*

Cornerback

Sam Madison

Corey Webster

RW McQuarters

Will Blackmon*

Jason Bell

Curtis Deloatch

Safety

Gibril Wilson

Willie Demps

Quentin Harris

James Butler

Special Teams

Kicker

Jay Feely

Punter

Jeff Feagles

Long snapper

Ryan Kuehl

Edited by BigPete

IMO, Hagan is a highly overrated prospect, and I'm hopeful the Giants stay away from him, especially in the 2nd round. He drops a lot of passes, and I'd be much more in favor of just re-signing Tim Carter. At least we'd have some speed.

If the Giants go for WR in the second round, I'd like to see them take a shot on either Maurice Stovell, Demetrious Williams , or even Jonathon Orr. I'm also a fan of Brandon Williams if he's still on the board on the 2nd day.

IMO, Hagan is a highly overrated prospect, and I'm hopeful the Giants stay away from him, especially in the 2nd round. He drops a lot of passes, and I'd be much more in favor of just re-signing Tim Carter. At least we'd have some speed.

If the Giants go for WR in the second round, I'd like to see them take a shot on either Maurice Stovell, Demetrious Williams , or even Jonathon Orr. I'm also a fan of Brandon Williams if he's still on the board on the 2nd day.

I agree but unfortuntly this is not the deepest class in wr's...

i would perfer a player with a little more speed the Hagan

I think Hagan is slightly under rated actually, which is why he is a late 2nd round option

He is not perfect, which is why he is a 2nd round option and not a first round pick.

Hagen has good size, good speed, had very good college production and is a much more polished prospect that most of the WRs in this draft. I think people are being overly critical of Hagens, he does have decent hands.

I am not a huge Hagen fan, but at #56, he is the best player for the Giants at need positions.

neither Maurice Stovall, Demetrius Williams or Brandon Williams have great speed.

with Johnathon Orr and Brandon Williams, you are relying on them to realise their physical potential, something neither did in college

Martin Nance is another posible option

another decent option in the mid rounds is WR Devin Aromashodu Auburn, 6-2 1/2, 201 lbs, 4.35 40 time

Edited by BigPete

Agreed. Hagan does drop a lot of passes and we don't need another guy like that. I like Stovall alot as a red zone threat. Our offense wasn't that great throwing the ball in the red zone last year and this guy could make an immediate impact with his ability to go get the jump ball.

I believe the Giants are focusing on defense through free agency. I think Grady Jackson being signed by the Giants is a given and I also will not be one bit surprised if we still sign Lavar and there are several sources mentioning that the Giants are talking with Woodson. If we signed those 3 guys, I'd have to take a cold shower to recover!!

If we do sign those players, expect the Giants to concentrate on picking the "best" player available (except QB) in each round of the draft as there will be no immediate needs. I expect the Giants to throw their first 3 picks on a DT, OT, and then possibly a WR or LB (depending on who's left on the board). Also, the Giants are famous for plucking a gem out of the small schools (Simms, Osi, Jacobs, etc.) so expect at least one small school prospect taken a couple of rounds earlier than expected.

For what it's worth......there has been talk of the Giants trading up to get D'Brickashaw Ferguson (OT from Virginia) or Eric Winston (OT Miami). I don't put a lot of stock in rumors, but I'd be delighted if either of those two guys put on the blue.

I like Jonathan Orr too but we don't need to take him in the 2nd. I think he'll still be there when we pick in the third.

I'll cream my shorts if Simms falls to us in the 1st.

:drool:

:LMAO: