SportsWrath

Sammy Knight inked to a 3 year, 5 million contract

jranieli

What is it about this signing that you don't understand? Near-identical production for almost 5 million a year less sounds good to me.

He is 32 and only getting older you say. Which means he still has 1-2 good years left. And in the time that he spends on this roster he will be as invaluable to our young and developing safeties as Madison is to our CBs.

Not all signings are about bringing in a superstar athlete whose talent is all you want from them. The Giants have shown over the past couple of seasons that they value veterans who can contribute on and off the field and from all signs this is just another one of those situations.

'Zackly :TU:

Brent Alexander has never been or will even be remembered as anywhere near the player that Sammy Knight has been

As for this idea this is a bad signing, who did anyone want? Gibril was priced WAY WAY WAY too high and quite frankly is nothing more than a middle of the road safety, who now by the way makes Bob Sanders, Troy Polumolu and Roy Williams money. He is not even close to any of those guys and that includes the overrated Williams, yes Roy Williams, despite being OVERRATED is STILL BETTER than Gibril Wilson.

In fact I take a 34 year old Brian Dawkins over Wilson at this point.

Anyone that paid attention saw the speed and athleticsm that Michael Johnson brought to the table in 2007. With more seasoning and study the coaches feel he will be a fixture in that secondary for the future. In the meantime Knight can hold the position and probably have no less an impact than Gibril Wilson did, at 1/4 the cost.

The same people bitching now are the ones come next year would be bitching when we have NO MONEY to sign a Snee or a Jacobs to a new deal that we overpaid for mediocre talent like Wilson.

I did :)

Brent Alexander was aging when we got him; that was evident in his abilities. What's the age difference between them when they signed with the G? It's almost the same and I think we should recognize this as a stop gap measure.

Yes, it's true enough that the G shouldn't overpay for Gibril, however we're already quite weak in the secondary and with the losses of Torbor and Mitchell too, we have a lot of potential weak spots (as of right now). It can't be overlooked that Sam Madison who was very good for us will yet again be another year older.

This is not the end of the world however we face TO twice a season and so having strong play from our safeties is key. There's no doubt that Knight will be decent against the run, but it's the pass you must worry about.

Brent Alexander was aging when we got him; that was evident in his abilities. What's the age difference between them when they signed with the G? It's almost the same and I think we should recognize this as a stop gap measure.

Yes, it's true enough that the G shouldn't overpay for Gibril, however we're already quite weak in the secondary and with the losses of Torbor and Mitchell too, we have a lot of potential weak spots (as of right now). It can't be overlooked that Sam Madison who was very good for us will yet again be another year older.

This is not the end of the world however we face TO twice a season and so having strong play from our safeties is key. There's no doubt that Knight will be decent against the run, but it's the pass you must worry about.

I think everyone realizes that this is stop-gap, including Reese who signed the guy to a very cuttable contract.

The difference between Brent Alexander and Sammy Knight can be shown this way: Sammy Knight was offered comparable money from his previous team, the Jaguars. If they truly thought he was over the hill, they wouldn't have done that. And that's a team that has to play the Colts offense twice a year. So he can't be that bad. The same can't be said about Pittsburgh and Brent Alexander.

Besides, do you really think that this is all Reese is going to do with the defensive backfield? I'm sure he's going to draft a safety somewhere along the line. He has to: Dahl's gone, too.

Oh, and could you guys stop freaking out about losing Torbor? His decent postseason play didn't make up for 3 seasons of sub-par play. I can understand being bummed about Mitchell, but this is a little ridiculous.

I was just thinking the same thing but I didn't say anything because it is actually amusing. Torbor was a nobody and remains a nobody. The fact that a lot of articles published about the Giants losing players in FA list him as a starter amuses me as well.

I was just thinking the same thing but I didn't say anything because it is actually amusing. Torbor was a nobody and remains a nobody. The fact that a lot of articles published about the Giants losing players in FA list him as a starter amuses me as well.

Exactly. But at least with national press, you can excuse the confusion. The only memory of the guy I have is him looking totally lost in preseason. Annually.

If we get a 3rd-4th round comp pick for him, that will be the best thing he ever did for this team.

Exactly. But at least with national press, you can excuse the confusion. The only memory of the guy I have is him looking totally lost in preseason. Annually.

If we get a 3rd-4th round comp pick for him, that will be the best thing he ever did for this team.

We've lost three and signed one so we should be looking at 2 comp picks so far. Mitchell might score us a decent one but I doubt Torbor would get us more than a 7th. Gibril signing to a huge contract helps us the most, as far as I can tell. The other thing that helps is the rings these guys now sport.

"Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors."

Fucked if I can find the actual formula though.

We've lost three and signed one so we should be looking at 2 comp picks so far. Mitchell might score us a decent one but I doubt Torbor would get us more than a 7th. Gibril signing to a huge contract helps us the most, as far as I can tell. The other thing that helps is the rings these guys now sport.

"Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors."

Fucked if I can find the actual formula though.

I'm pretty sure that a team gets a comp pick only when a restricted free agent signs. When you lose a UFA, you get squat.

Nope compensation picks are unrelated to RFA.

You really need to pay more attention to the offseason stuff Bleedin :)

I didn't know that. Then what's the difference between RFA and UFA?.....besides the 3 years vs. 4 years.

Actually, I'm getting too carried away with off season stuff. I should let it go and relax....what will be, will be. But I can't do that. I need to check out this board (and a dozen "hot of the press" sites) about 20 times a day trying to get a hint at what the Giants might do next. It can drive a man insane. And the better prepared I am for draft day, the more disappointed I usually am....yet, a year later I find myself praising the Giants decisions that drove me to nearly having a stroke as I watched the Giants make their picks.

Ahh well. Just can't help myself. I'm a hardore Giants junkie - a nutcase and fanatic and I know no cure.

Oh, and could you guys stop freaking out about losing Torbor? His decent postseason play didn't make up for 3 seasons of sub-par play. I can understand being bummed about Mitchell, but this is a little ridiculous.

I honestly didn't know he was a starter.... :unsure: