SportsWrath

Question for the Yankee - Giant Fans

GreyHoodie

Boston and New York have a longstanding sports rivalary with the Red Sox and Yankees.

And the Yankees are a team pretty much anybody who is not a Yankee fan despises. When the Red Sox play the Yankees pretty much everybody who is a fan of neither team roots for the Red Sox, this has wained a bit since we won the WS, but still the Yankees are the most hated team in baseball in general and Steinbrenner is the most hated person in baseball.

Likewise right now the team pretty much anybody who is not a Patriots fan, want to see the Patriots lose, and are the most hated team in Football right now. And just as Stienbrenner is hated so is Belichick. With the exception of some bitter Dallas fans and some Eli hating Charger fans, pretty much the entire world is rooting for the Giants. Many don't think you can pull it off, but they are rooting for the Cinderella story Giants to defeat the evil empire Patriots.

I can remember back to 2001 when we were the Cinderella, and pretty much everybody was rooting for use to beat the Rams.

The contempt for both stems primarily from dominance and a personality that turns many off of from Steinbrenner and Belichick, along with a perception that each team has "bought their way" to championships instead of drafting.

I have seen several commentators say that the Patriots have become the Yankees of football. So now we sort of have a role reversal.

I am not looking to start a fight about why one ought hate or not hate any of the teams mentioned.

My question is "which do you enjoy more? being a fan of the evil empire Yankees or the lovable Giants?

I am starting to enjoy being hated more than being loved.

Football dynasties don't last a very long time. There will be a time after everyone will be gone when the Pats will be a sub .500 team or worse. It happens in football. Baseball is totally different. There is no salary cap, just sharing of money for a team going over the luxury tax.

Remember when San Fran was one of the most hated teams in the 80's because of their successes? It is the same thing here.

Consistent success breeds hating. When you win A LOT, you've done that at the expense of a lot of other teams. Therefore, a greater pool of fans feel victimized by the successful team. The other factor is jealousy. Why should an Arizona fan root for the Patriots to win their 4th this decade when their team has never even made it to the SuperBowl? So instead of rooting for the consistent winner, they'll root for the other guy, because at least that gives them more hope that anyone can take down the big dog and anyone can make it and win the big one.

With baseball it's a little different, because other fans feel like the Yankees treat the rest of the Majors as their farm system. There is no way for smaller market teams to be able to assemble the stars that the Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Angels, and Dodgers can afford. Because of the lack of parity, other teams resent the richest ones, but mainly the Yanks, and I think a lot of that has to do with Steinbrenner.

Comparing this small 7 year window of the Pats to the Yankees mst championships in the history of sports is like comparing apples and oranges. A better correlation would be the Pats to the 1990's run of the Chicago Bulls, a great history for a franchise, compacted into 10 years, not 85.

Consistent success breeds hating. When you win A LOT, you've done that at the expense of a lot of other teams. Therefore, a greater pool of fans feel victimized by the successful team. The other factor is jealousy. Why should an Arizona fan root for the Patriots to win their 4th this decade when their team has never even made it to the SuperBowl? So instead of rooting for the consistent winner, they'll root for the other guy, because at least that gives them more hope that anyone can take down the big dog and anyone can make it and win the big one.

With baseball it's a little different, because other fans feel like the Yankees treat the rest of the Majors as their farm system. There is no way for smaller market teams to be able to assemble the stars that the Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Angels, and Dodgers can afford. Because of the lack of parity, other teams resent the richest ones, but mainly the Yanks, and I think a lot of that has to do with Steinbrenner.

I agree almost completely. But in baseball, what a lot of people don't understand is many owners simply don't pursue big money guys. Take my Rangers, Hicks can without any doubt afford anyone the Yankees can afford. He is at least part owner in the Rangers, Dallas Stars and Liverpool soccer team. Rangers fans hate him because we feel we are the bastard son of his family of franchises. A lot of sub 500 teams have owners who can afford players, but won't get them.

Now, with he Pats/Giants. My belief is ythat Giants fans relish the undedog/Looking past us/nobody gives us a chance mentality of the media and most football fans. We enjoy everyone saying we will be a trivia question in the Pats perfect season. I also am not so sure the Pats are as hated as the Yanks, because right now a lot of people want to witness a perfect season and in football they like the dynasty against the odds thing that comes with a salary cap. I agree they are widely hated because of their sucess, but its not as prevelant as it is with the Yanks.

My sister, a Cowboys fans, called me and told me she was rooting for the Giants in the first game vs the Pats because she hated Brady. Now she tells me she is rooting for the Pats because we know Kelly Washington. So, I think a lot of people want the pats to win even if they don't realize it.

Comparing this small 7 year window of the Pats to the Yankees mst championships in the history of sports is like comparing apples and oranges. A better correlation would be the Pats to the 1990's run of the Chicago Bulls, a great history for a franchise, compacted into 10 years, not 85.

But the Bulls weren't necessarily "hated". Even fans of teams who lost to them would marvel at Jordan, arguably the most beloved sports figure ever.

People are getting turned off by the Pats and their arrogance, not to mention cheap media tricks like walking around NYC in a "boot". :rolleyes:

Like xx1-xxv said, its hard to compare the Yanks success to the Pts. The Yanks have done it far longer.

But I'll tell ya one difference in comparing the two. The Pats give reason to hate, (i.e. spygate, runnin up scores, no coachhandshakes) and the Yanks are just hated cause thier viewed as winning all the time(which they havent) and its more like jealousy.

Like xx1-xxv said, its hard to compare the Yanks success to the Pts. The Yanks have done it far longer.

But I'll tell ya one difference in comparing the two. The Pats give reason to hate, (i.e. spygate, runnin up scores, no coachhandshakes) and the Yanks are just hated cause thier viewed as winning all the time(which they havent) and its more like jealousy.

Easy, while i agree, it isn't as simple as that. The Yanks are hated because like Allstarjim said, they use other clubs as their farm system. A club drafts, developes and turns a 1st basemen into an annual allstar, and the Yanks give him 100 million dollars. Thats a big reason they are hated.

Easy, while i agree, it isn't as simple as that. The Yanks are hated because like Allstarjim said, they use other clubs as their farm system. A club drafts, developes and turns a 1st basemen into an annual allstar, and the Yanks give him 100 million dollars. Thats a big reason they are hated.

Thats exactly my point. The Yankees do it, and theyre hated. The Red Sux, Dodgers, Mets and Orioles do it, and no one says nothing. You could even throw your boys, Texas in there. Thyere the ones that orig threw 250 mil at Arod once he became a star on Seattle. Its not only the Yankees that do that, its just only the Yankees that do someting with it. ;)

I agree with you guys on the Yankees but don't forget the hate from the Billy Martin era. The way George treated the league and his mangers. I do not believe the Yankees of the 90's that were hated as they are now. There are a lot of A-Rod haters out there too. You can knock all the Yankees you want but you cannot knock them for 26 rings. They might be/are one of the greatest franchises in all of sports. There are a lot of jealous fans out there.

Boston and New York have a longstanding sports rivalary with the Red Sox and Yankees.

And the Yankees are a team pretty much anybody who is not a Yankee fan despises. When the Red Sox play the Yankees pretty much everybody who is a fan of neither team roots for the Red Sox, this has wained a bit since we won the WS, but still the Yankees are the most hated team in baseball in general and Steinbrenner is the most hated person in baseball.

Likewise right now the team pretty much anybody who is not a Patriots fan, want to see the Patriots lose, and are the most hated team in Football right now. And just as Stienbrenner is hated so is Belichick. With the exception of some bitter Dallas fans and some Eli hating Charger fans, pretty much the entire world is rooting for the Giants. Many don't think you can pull it off, but they are rooting for the Cinderella story Giants to defeat the evil empire Patriots.

I can remember back to 2001 when we were the Cinderella, and pretty much everybody was rooting for use to beat the Rams.

The contempt for both stems primarily from dominance and a personality that turns many off of from Steinbrenner and Belichick, along with a perception that each team has "bought their way" to championships instead of drafting.

I have seen several commentators say that the Patriots have become the Yankees of football. So now we sort of have a role reversal.

I am not looking to start a fight about why one ought hate or not hate any of the teams mentioned.

My question is "which do you enjoy more? being a fan of the evil empire Yankees or the lovable Giants?

I am starting to enjoy being hated more than being loved.

This is a well-considered post. As both a Giant fan and a Yankee fan, let me take a stab at it.

The Giants are my favorite sports team, and the Yankees are a close 2nd. Whereas the football schedule is 16 games v 162 MLB games, I'm much more interested in a "typical" Giant game, because the stakes are always so much higher.

I'm a Giant/Yankee fan because of my Dad. At the time, the Giants completely sucked, and the Yankees were (as usual), terrific. So when the Giants began to improve in the early 1980's, it was a huge deal to me.

So I guess you can say a Giants Super Bowl win would be more exciting than a Yankees World Series.

One last thing about the Yankees - since they've won the World Series 26 times, I'm pretty much immune to heartbreak. Sure, I wanted them to beat Cleveland, and recent letdowns have been somewhat discouraging. But then I console myself with the fact that the Yankees are the single most successful franchise in professional sport. They've been that way before I was born, they've been incredible throughout my lifetime, and they'll be winning World Series when I'm pushing up daisies. So really, I feel a great sense of pride to call myself a Yankee fan, and the fact that "everyone else hates them" has absolutely no impact on me.

The Red Sox - Yankees rivalry is great for the game, and alot of fun, but honestly, the recent success of the Red Sox means as much to me as the recent World Series victory of the Cardinals or White Sox. I know that the Yankees will remain competitive, because they play in the best city in the world, for the best fans in the world, and excellence is part of the tradition.

If I'm not mistaken, the Patriot have won 3 Super Bowls, and I believe the Cowboys and the Steelers have won 5. The Yankees have won 26 World Series, and the closest franchise to them are the Cardinals, with 10. In short, the Yankees have won 16 more championships than the next franchise.

Therefore, when the Patriots have bagged 16 more Super Bowls than any other team, then perhaps they can start being considered in the same league as the Yankees. Then again, by that time, the Yankees will be up to around 75 Championships, and they'll be playing baseball on the Moon.

So there you have it.

I happen to be a die-hard Giants and Yankees fan. But I have to tell you (IMO), that the fan base between baseball and football is so different that I don't think you can compare the two. Baseball fans tend to be nostalgic over tradition and meticulous play. Football fans tend to be gruff, tail-gate partying raw meat eating bulldogs who boasts, "my team will mash your team asshole", type of mentality.

My whole fan reaction and fan participation between the two sports is both ravid, but it's like two entirely different worlds to me.

If I'm not mistaken, the Patriot have won 3 Super Bowls, and I believe the Cowboys and the Steelers have won 5. The Yankees have won 26 World Series, and the closest franchise to them are the Cardinals, with 10. In short, the Yankees have won 16 more championships than the next franchise.

Therefore, when the Patriots have bagged 16 more Super Bowls than any other team, then perhaps they can start being considered in the same league as the Yankees. Then again, by that time, the Yankees will be up to around 75 Championships, and they'll be playing baseball on the Moon.

So there you have it.

silly to the dog in the sense that super bowls have not been going on since the 1900's...your comparisons are somewhat ponderous, but the reality of it is, nobody is asking anyone to compare the patriots to the yankees...the question was whether or not you are happier being "hated" or "beloved."

silly to the dog in the sense that super bowls have not been going on since the 1900's...your comparisons are somewhat ponderous, but the reality of it is, nobody is asking anyone to compare the patriots to the yankees...the question was whether or not you are happier being "hated" or "beloved."

Yup, that was the question.

Its funny how facts work in certain discussions. When people often tend to bring up how many SUper Bowls their beloved team has won,it is very often countered by such fans as the Bears, Packers, Giants etc that they have plenty of championships, attained before the Super Bowl. Those such retorts are usually met with statements like "it means nothing before the Super Bowl" or "No one cares what happened before the Super Bowl".

Its funny how those things work. I am not a Yankee fan, so in reality I could care less who likes the Giants or who hates them. It has no bearing on the team. I also could care less if the rest of America wants the Giants to win, again it has no bearing on the team. I just find it hard to compare any "hatred" for a dominant team of an era to the overall hatred that is sent in the direction of the Yankees. Usually its deep rooted and is passed from generation to generation, its almost a folklore.