SportsWrath

In regards to the state of the pitch at Wembley

boohyah

they should have known better

As I noted in the other post. When the new Wembley was being built, they were behind on the construction, so when the building was complete and the sod laid down, it needed time to settle, but English soccer officials wouldn't hear of it and rushed back onto the field for of all things an under 21 international. Back in May during the FA Cup final between Man Utd and Chelsea, both teams complained about the pitch, and that was in the summer and it was only soccer. Fact is the NFL had to know about this earlier and could have switched venues if needed, be it to Twickenham where the England Rugby team plays, or to Cardiff in Wales, which is a fantastic stadium and the playing surface is excellent. My point being that, even if the pitch had been dry, the playing surface probably wouldn't have held up and the NFL knew this. When I saw Strahan on the trainers table, I was ready to flip out.

Sportswrath thanks Boohyah for that rambling piece of non info. :TU:

As I noted in the other post. When the new Wembley was being built, they were behind on the construction, so when the building was complete and the sod laid down, it needed time to settle, but English soccer officials wouldn't hear of it and rushed back onto the field for of all things an under 21 international. Back in May during the FA Cup final between Man Utd and Chelsea, both teams complained about the pitch, and that was in the summer and it was only soccer. Fact is the NFL had to know about this earlier and could have switched venues if needed, be it to Twickenham where the England Rugby team plays, or to Cardiff in Wales, which is a fantastic stadium and the playing surface is excellent. My point being that, even if the pitch had been dry, the playing surface probably wouldn't have held up and the NFL knew this. When I saw Strahan on the trainers table, I was ready to flip out.

:clap::clap::clap: :worshippy: :worshippy: :worshippy:

What the hell did you just say??????????

:P

Seriously, good read. And its true, they should have never let the game be played on that surface. Everyones just LUCKY they got away with no injuries.

Twickenham was the obvious choice, and there's no rugby for a while as the Cup just concluded.

I think Cardiff was also free, Wales just played their last 2 Euro qualifiers away I believe.

Unless they are getting it ready for the Calzaghe - Kessler fight.

If any key Giants or the one lone good Dolphins player on the team (Jason Taylor)

got hurt during this game..the NFL would never play over seas again.

Well, in fairness, there are a lot of good pitches over there in Europe (many better than US). That's why I brought up Germany before, great fans, love Football, and they have fantastic playing surfaces due to the fact they had the World cup there last year and they had to upgrade all of the stadiums.

you are absolutely correct Boohyah .....the field was like a churned up bog after the first Miami drive !

The rain was very hard at times ......Wembley has a bloody retractable roof doesnt it ? ..... why not shut the damn thing !

Problem is: how many Americans have heard of Cardiff, or even more to the point, Twickenham? Just about everyone's heard of Wembley, and are impressed with selling it out. The NFL was trying to sell this game to both sides of the Atlantic.

Problem is: how many Americans have heard of Cardiff, or even more to the point, Twickenham? Just about everyone's heard of Wembley, and are impressed with selling it out. The NFL was trying to sell this game to both sides of the Atlantic.

I think i represent the average American in his ignorance of England, and i've heard of Cardiff.

You're right Fish, Cardiff is not as well known to us here, but I think UK will attest that Cardiff is a fine stadium and for the last few years they have used Cardiff while Wembley was been built, plus it's almost as easy to get to. For English fans, I think they wouldn't have cared where as long as they got to see the game, and for us here in the US, I'm sure nobody really gave a shit where the game was played.

You're right Fish, Cardiff is not as well known to us here, but I think UK will attest that Cardiff is a fine stadium and for the last few years they have used Cardiff while Wembley was been built, plus it's almost as easy to get to. For English fans, I think they wouldn't have cared where as long as they got to see the game, and for us here in the US, I'm sure nobody really gave a shit where the game was played.

yes Cardiff is a fantastic stadium ......and so is the new Twickenham .....how about Old Trafford Boo ?

( the key is that .....it just has to be London ...at leat half of the US fans i met had come to do the whole London sightseeing thing for a week and loved it .....Wales forget it )

yes Cardiff is a fantastic stadium ......and so is the new Twickenham .....how about Old Trafford Boo ?

( the key is that .....it just has to be London ...at leat half of the US fans i met had come to do the whole London sightseeing thing for a week and loved it .....Wales forget it )

Dude, let them stay to fuck off Old Trafford, they have enough problems come winter time with that pitch, I don't need no Fred Robbins tearing up the turf.

Do you catch any soccer, you must have thought you were in some sort of vortex, being in London while Arsenal played Liverpool up north.

Cardiff and Millenium Stadium is still like a 6 hour train from London, and like 50 pounds one way (I can't believe I only just noticed there's no 'pound' symbol on my keyboard). It's nice but not the best marketing move for the NFL. It had to be in London if it was in the UK at all.

Do you catch any soccer, you must have thought you were in some sort of vortex, being in London while Arsenal played Liverpool up north.

it was surreal !

The best bit was John Terry getting booed by 81,000 Chelsea haters as honoury Giants captain

I'm sure Cardiff is a good stadium--as you know, I'm referring to name value, not stadium quality. This whole thing was purely a marketing gig, so unless Wembley's field had land mines, it was going to be played there.

I'm sure Cardiff is a good stadium--as you know, I'm referring to name value, not stadium quality. This whole thing was purely a marketing gig, so unless Wembley's field had land mines, it was going to be played there.

I know Fish, let's face it, the NFL bends and shifts for marketing and exposure at the expense of the players. My point in all of this was that no matter what the weather was going to be like, that Wembley's pitch was in bad shape anyway and that if the NFL cared enough about the quality, they would have maybe held off another year.

But the NFL long ago said "fuck what Boohyah from Sportswrath which is a spinoff from the Giants message boards thinks, we're going anyway". I can't win. :(