SportsWrath

Yanks Inquired On Santana

so-cal dub

Peter Gammons reported back on Tuesday that the Yankees have already made a Johan Santana inquiry. The tidbit mentioned a cellphone conversation where apparently a Yankee exec asked who the team would need to part with aside from Chien-Ming Wang to acquire the Twins' ace.

Makes sense that the Yanks would place a call on this; Santana's the best pitcher in baseball and they're the Yankees. And the general vibe seems to be that the Twins are at least listening on Santana. Wang or Cano plus another premium prospect seems a reasonable bounty. The acquiring team may require a negotiating window. And technically, Santana could have the Yankees on his 12-team no trade list.

Definetly worth losing Wang for, but Cano and prospects? :(

He meant to say Wang and Cabrera.......especially since they'll likely be losing Tori Hunter.

It's perfect, let's make a deal. :clap:

Although Cano loses his best friend. Who will run trains on young ladies with him now? :(

ummm... no he said Wang+Cano+prospects. I copied and pasted

Definetly worth losing Wang for, but Cano and prospects? :(

I don't like it. Most of the big name pitchers the Yankees get end up running away with a shit load of money and leaving Yankees fans wondering where the talent went. Keep Cano, keep Cabrera, and keep our young prospects. I'm willing to sacrifice a year or two if it means we can build a team to win 3 or 4 straight in the near future.

He meant to say Wang and Cabrera.......especially since they'll likely be losing Tori Hunter.

It's perfect, let's make a deal. :clap:

Although Cano loses his best friend. Who will run trains on young ladies with him now? :(

The Mets, D-Backs, Dodgers, and Angels all will top that offer and make one a billion times better.

again. It's Wang+Cano+prospects. I dont know why you're throwing Melky in there as well. Read the quote.

Dude, I KNOW WHAT THE ARTICLE SAYS....I'm giving you what the Yankees will probably counter offer, and what Minnesota will not turn down. It's not a bad deal for both teams IMHO.

Melky's a very good player and is only gonna get better...sames goes for Wang.

Yeeaaaahhh right!

Who are the Mets going to offer better than Cabrera and Wang (19 game winner)

Pelfrey, Gomez,?????

:rolleyes:

First of all, a pitching prospect may be a better choice for the Twins because they would have him locked up. This would be Wang's third year already, and he's going to cash in as an FA soon. Not to mention, Wang is the Indian's bitch.

If they acquired a Pelfrey or Humber they would have a lot of time with him, and they could use his great ceiling to be a 1-2 punch with Liriano.

The Twins are taking a major hit losing Torii Hunter. Carlos Gomez is supposed to have all of Hunter's fielding skills and has exhibited them the entire time ni the majors. Cabrera may have a great arm, but he is not a good overall fielder. Takes terrible routes to the ball. And his hitting ability is decent, but how good can it be? With Gomez, you get a fast player with some pop and the ability to spray it to all fields. He's just extremely raw.

I would say we would offer Gomez, Milledge, Pelfrey, and maybe Heilman for Santana. And that would top Wang, Cabrera, and a prospect that isn't Hughes or Joba.

I don't see why you think Melky is so sensational. At this point, every baseball team will take Gomez or Milledge in a trade over Melky.

First of all, a pitching prospect may be a better choice for the Twins because they would have him locked up. This would be Wang's third year already, and he's going to cash in as an FA soon. Not to mention, Wang is the Indian's bitch.

If they acquired a Pelfrey or Humber they would have a lot of time with him, and they could use his great ceiling to be a 1-2 punch with Liriano.

The Twins are taking a major hit losing Torii Hunter. Carlos Gomez is supposed to have all of Hunter's fielding skills and has exhibited them the entire time ni the majors. Cabrera may have a great arm, but he is not a good overall fielder. Takes terrible routes to the ball. And his hitting ability is decent, but how good can it be? With Gomez, you get a fast player with some pop and the ability to spray it to all fields. He's just extremely raw.

I would say we would offer Gomez, Milledge, Pelfrey, and maybe Heilman for Santana. And that would top Wang, Cabrera, and a prospect that isn't Hughes or Joba.

I don't see why you think Melky is so sensational. At this point, every baseball team will take Gomez or Milledge in a trade over Melky.

dude, youre way too high on the mets prospects and way too low on Melky. Melky is only 22 years old, is a top 5 AL CF and will not mebarrass himslef at the plate...and he is going to get better

Yeah, but you gotta remember that the Twins are gonna lose him after next year anyway, so they don't have a lot of bargaining power.

normally i'd agree, but the free agent pitching market is so horrendous that the demand for him will probably be astronomical--especially with so many high payroll teams who need pitching

dude, youre way too high on the mets prospects and way too low on Melky. Melky is only 22 years old, is a top 5 AL CF and will not mebarrass himslef at the plate...and he is going to get better

I think Melky's a nice little player, but I'm not sure how he'll improve in CF and I think at this point Gomez may actually be better in overall fielding. Do you have any scouting reports on Melky before he came up to the majors? It'd be interesting to read about his strengths and weaknesses.

What do you think Melky's peak will be in terms of hitting? He's a big guy so I bet he has power but he's been very streaky as a major league hitter.

Gomez has looked miserable with his approach. He comes to bat swinging at every pitch, but it's scary that he's actually making good contact a lot more then he should. He's so raw and has a ton of ability. I like him more then Milledge actually...

I don't like it. Most of the big name pitchers the Yankees get end up running away with a shit load of money and leaving Yankees fans wondering where the talent went. Keep Cano, keep Cabrera, and keep our young prospects. I'm willing to sacrifice a year or two if it means we can build a team to win 3 or 4 straight in the near future.

you'll get your pinstripes taken away with that kind of talk. actually makes sense- especially with the new ballpark looming the following year (right?). you have the all star game next year, that locks in the season ticket sales. good year to rebuild- does that include letting AROD go?

At this point, Cano, Melky, Hughes, and Joba should be off limits, no matter how good the pitcher we’re trying to get.

I can’t say enough about Hughes. Barring another hamstring injury, he’ll be the ace of our staff by June 08. He’s a lock.

Cano is/will soon be a 30 homer/100 RBI’s per season guy. Plus, he's a very adequate fielder with a great, quick arm. And he runs bases well. He’s also a lock.

Melky, even if he remains a .280 hitter, does a lot of other things to help us win. He’s not as graceful as some outfielders, but he more than gets the job done. Maybe not a lock, but there’s just too much potential upside to let him go in a package deal.

Joba needs no introduction. We haven’t seen all of his pitches, and we don’t know how he’ll fare as a starter in this league. Let’s hope he’s not a flash in the pan.

So that leaves Wang and prospects. How many prospects, who knows? I’d hate to see Wang go, but at best, he’s #3 starter.