SportsWrath

Travis Henry of the Titans

Lughead

Travis Henry Also on The Giants Radar

By Dan Benton | March 4th, 2007

Print | E-mail

titans.jpg Travis Henry - CNN.net / SI.com

The Giants will not shy away from checking in on all the available free agent running backs. According to Travis Henry’s agent, the Giants were quick to call following his release from the Titans. A visit has not yet been scheduled but one may be planned in the very near future.

This news should not hinder any developments with the Lions and the potential trade of Tatum Bell. The Giants and Jerry Reese just seem to be covering all the possible bases. The interest in all the running backs also leads me to believe the Giants are not comfortable with Brandon Jacobs getting 30 carries a game. If it was a back-up they wanted, they would not be eyeing so many potential number one backs. Then again, everything is up for debate and speculation. That’s just my opinion and the way I see it.

Should the Giants somehow land Henry, I think he would be a decent addition but I will still hope for Bell. Either running back would be a good starter (or back-up) in the Giants system.

Other Free Agent News:

- Roderick Hood visited the Cardinals today. Apparently he left without a contract.

I wouldn't exactly throw the car keys into the pot based on information from that guy--he writes a lot of rumors that turn out to be totally off-base. But I have heard that quote from Henry's agent elsewhere.

Staple's blog had a good installment. LINK

Day 3: Lazy Sunday

Leonard Davis got $18m guaranteed from the 'Boys, Ahman Green got $22m from the Texans... And the Giants waited, patiently.

It's hard to fault Jerry Reese for not diving into this weekend of madness. It's not that the money is so crazy, relative to cap space and the rising costs of doing business in the NFL, but we said it here before and we'll say it again: The Giants are retooling for the future, not to try and mortage said future to win this season when things are so unsure and the available talent is so spotty.

So if it means a season of enduring Brandon Jacobs' growing pains, so be it. If it means a rookie LB on one side of Antonio Pierce and Gerris Wilkinson on the other, so be it. Frankly, the Giants did things with a bigger splash the past 2-3 offseasons, and what did it get them? Two playoff losses, a few washed-up LBs and a few draft picks sent packing for Eli.

A person with knowledge of the Giants' thinking said there hadn't been much talk of Tatum Bell coming in a trade; the Lions could actually use Bell, so it's doubtful they'd hand him over for the second-day pick Reese would be offering.

So patience is the key word, it seems. And it goes far beyond the next few days.

You beat me to it, ya bastid! <_<

Actually, I dont think he is a good fit. He's a load hog, and has griped in the past about it. He would never keep quiet with Jacobs doing most of the work.

That's a bit unfair. Henry was running the ball well for the Bills in his prime and totally out of the blue they selected Willis McGahee. That's a slap in the face to a guy.

Gotta wonder. As hard as we're trying to tie up a #1 guy, doesn't look like Reese is sold on BJ.

i think reese wants bj to be the #1 back, he just doesn't want him to be worn out late in the game. Theres nothning wrong with having a 2 back system. the game is changing, and many teams are having a lot of success using two backs. i have no problem with this although i really hope we don't sign travis henry, i'd much rather have dominic rhodes to spell BJ.

You beat me to it, ya bastid! <_>

Actually, I dont think he is a good fit. He's a load hog, and has griped in the past about it. He would never keep quiet with Jacobs doing most of the work.

Just heard on espn radio the Broncos signed Travis Henry.

Updated: March 5, 2007, 2:27 PM ET

Henry's fills void in Broncos' backfield

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Filling their need for a proven tailback, the Denver Broncos on Monday reached a contract agreement with Travis Henry, who was released on Saturday by the Tenenessee Titans to avoid paying him an $8.3 million roster bonus.

Henry will sign a five-year contract that includes $12 million in guarantees, ESPN.com has learned.

Within hours of his release, Henry flew to Denver and visited with Broncos officials over the weekend, while agent Hadley Engelhard negotiated a deal. Henry also drew considerable interest from the Oakland Raiders, who hoped to bring him in for a visit this week.

Henry, 28, carried 270 times for 1,211 yards and seven touchdowns in 2006, and notched six 100-yard outings. The former University of Tennessee standout spent the first four years of his career with the Buffalo Bills before being traded to the Titans in 2005.

In 78 games, including 62 starts, Henry has carried 1,321 times for 5,395 yards and 34 touchdowns. He also has 134 receptions for 886 yards and two scores. In addition to his 1,000-yard season in 2006, Henry ran for over 1,000 yards in two of his four seasons with the Bills.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

Updated: March 5, 2007, 2:27 PM ET

Henry's fills void in Broncos' backfield

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Filling their need for a proven tailback, the Denver Broncos on Monday reached a contract agreement with Travis Henry, who was released on Saturday by the Tenenessee Titans to avoid paying him an $8.3 million roster bonus.

Henry will sign a five-year contract that includes $12 million in guarantees, ESPN.com has learned.

Within hours of his release, Henry flew to Denver and visited with Broncos officials over the weekend, while agent Hadley Engelhard negotiated a deal. Henry also drew considerable interest from the Oakland Raiders, who hoped to bring him in for a visit this week.

Henry, 28, carried 270 times for 1,211 yards and seven touchdowns in 2006, and notched six 100-yard outings. The former University of Tennessee standout spent the first four years of his career with the Buffalo Bills before being traded to the Titans in 2005.

In 78 games, including 62 starts, Henry has carried 1,321 times for 5,395 yards and 34 touchdowns. He also has 134 receptions for 886 yards and two scores. In addition to his 1,000-yard season in 2006, Henry ran for over 1,000 yards in two of his four seasons with the Bills.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

That's another team (Denver) who never has cap problems?