SportsWrath

Is our new OLB

Lughead

Pierce?

Kiwanuka?

Giants Players Possibly Switching Positions?

By Dan Benton | February 15th, 2007

Print | E-mail

Yesterday on Outsider Radio we had Pat Traina from Inside Football on and she mentioned something that hasn’t really been talked about yet. We had gotten into the possibility of Mathias Kiwanuka converting to an outside linebacker position and Pat mentioned that Antonio Pierce could do the same thing. By no means did she say that was certain but she did say there was that possibility and that the idea was in its infancy right now. Again, Pat admitted that there may be no validity toward that but as new defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo continues to evaluate his talent and create his scheme, it may become a strong possibility.

It’s hard to say whether or not that would be a smart move on behalf of the Giants. I for one am not impressed with Pierce’s coverage skills and that worries me. Should he move to an outside position the Giants would rely on him a bit more in coverage and if he has a weak spot, I think that’s it. That move would also create a hole for the Giants at middle linebacker. Given the way the Giants operate it would not surprise me, but it’s something I certainly hope they don’t do.

Other Notes From Pat:

- Don’t be surprised if Sam Madison is moved to the Nickel position.

- Expect Corey Webster to get one more chance. (Webster was playing out of his element last season.)

- Cato June appears to be on the radar.

- She expects the Giants to pursue a shutdown corner in free agency.

NO! Kiwi has established himself as the heir apparent to Strahan, moving him creates another hole.

Moving Pierce, the only leader on the D to OLB is suicide, leave him be.

If they wanna find someone ij house, what happened to Torbor? is he still on the team? ifd not him, move Tuck to OLB, he's an athletic DE.

Kiwanuka seems quick and rangy enough to play OLB, but I wouldn't move Pierce to OLB. I can't put my finger on it, but he just doesn't seem to fit the bill. In fact, I'd leave them both in the positions that they're in.

I don't really get the idea of moving LBs around, anyway. I mean, Brandon Short was a lights-out MLB in college, so we move him to OLB when we draft him and he's only average. Junior Seau didn't seem to do too well in Miami on the outside (though he had admittedly lost a step anyway). I can't think of any LB who has done well moving from the middle to the outside.

NO! Kiwi has established himself as the heir apparent to Strahan, moving him creates another hole.

Moving Pierce, the only leader on the D to OLB is suicide, leave him be.

If they wanna find someone ij house, what happened to Torbor? is he still on the team? ifd not him, move Tuck to OLB, he's an athletic DE.

'nuff said.