SportsWrath

Very Concerned With Our LBS

nosebleedjints

Last year our chances to do anything in the playoffs were destroyed by injuries to our 1st and 2nd string linebackers, resulting in practice squad caliber players starting in the playoffs.

To remedy this, we signed Arrington and Short, then drafted Wilkerson.

This gave us a starting lineback corps of Emmons Pierce Arrington

A second unit of Short Blackburn Wilkerson Torbor

So we started with I thought was a good amount of depth.

However, Emmons already has missed three games.

Now in those games Short from what I have seen has played well and we have one, plus he is getting healthy and should come back.

Arrington is out for the season, likely. The good news is he did no reaggravte an old injury and was not overall the old Lavar of his best year.

However, he now has another injury to be cautious of, and he was coming on making two big plays.

We could look at this several ways.

One is we have more depth than last season.

Torbor is no slouch.

Short is no slouch.

Wilkerson has potential.

Blackburn is alright.

However, we already have two linebackers hurt, one down for the season.

This is in that regard a repeat already in week seven of last season, if Pierce goes down, the heart of our defense, the heir to Armstead, that would be a full repeat of last season when all three got hurt.

So my concern is

1) What is going to happen, how can keep Pierce healthy?

2) How can we keep all our LBs healthy?

3) When is Emmons coming back?

4) Can we win, and go far, without Lavar and with the LBs we have now, can we if Emmons and Arrington are not playing, 2 of 3 starters?

5) I am worried our big offseason transaction is no gone, and we are back to square one from last time.

If Pierce goes down, we're super fucked.

I thought I heard or read somewhere that Emmons returned to practice last week. So his return is soon from what I would guess.

I think we're okay without Arrington. He wasn't doing much early in the season, but had a hell of a game going last night. He'll be missed, but we can survive without him. I still think we're in okay shape with Short, Pierce, Emmons, Torbor, Blackburn, and Wilkerson.

If Pierce goes down, we're super fucked.

I thought I heard or read somewhere that Emmons returned to practice last week. So his return is soon from what I would guess.

I think we're okay without Arrington. He wasn't doing much early in the season, but had a hell of a game going last night. He'll be missed, but we can survive without him. I still think we're in okay shape with Short, Pierce, Emmons, Torbor, Blackburn, and Wilkerson.

Who's the kid on the PS? He'll probably be brought up once Lavar is IR'd.

It's going to be interesting to see if Emmons starts again, and if he does, where he and Short will be positioned.

With Tampa being a one-trick pony (running game with a rookie QB), and the following week Houston, I'd almost be inclined to let Emmons take it easy for a couple extra games; let him get some plays in, but not the bulk. Aren't you glad I'm not the coach? ;)

Who's the kid on the PS? He'll probably be brought up once Lavar is IR'd.

It's going to be interesting to see if Emmons starts again, and if he does, where he and Short will be positioned.

With Tampa being a one-trick pony (running game with a rookie QB), and the following week Houston, I'd almost be inclined to let Emmons take it easy for a couple extra games; let him get some plays in, but not the bulk. Aren't you glad I'm not the coach? ;)

No doubt about Emmons. No need to rush him back too early. Ease him back into the lineup. I wouldn't take Tampa too lightly though. They still have a decent defense that took it to Philly, a team that we just scraped by. Granted, we've matured, but approaching this game too carelessly could lead to a loss. Given our current stable of LBs, we should be fine for the next couple weeks. Might be worth getting some others some playing time so we're all prepared for the home stretch.

I think we're OK with our Linebackers. I don't want Emmons starting again. Let him ride the bench if Short gets hurt. Short isn't going to have a great game everyweek but I think he took away Emmons' job. Although the coaching staff probably thinks otherwise and he'll start three or four more games before tearing another muscle.

Shame that Arrington went down just when it looked like he was just breaking out into this system. He was a having a heck of a game that night.

To take a page from Jakk's book (Mostly idiotic pages, but just one which seemed worth consideration), and looking at the Pats,

Why not use Justin Tuck at LB? The Kid's got mad speed as is evident on STs and his chasing down of Tomlinson. He is a big hitter. Why not develop into a LB/DE Hybrid and use him as a LB in situations???