SportsWrath

Torre is staying

NeMesiS

In a way, I'm kinda glad that he is staying.

Torre stays

Torre remaining as manager of Yankees

/ Associated Press

Posted: 4 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) - Joe Torre will remain as manager of the New York Yankees, finally getting the word from owner George Steinbrenner after the team's surprise elimination from the playoffs last weekend.

Torre spoke with Steinbrenner on the telephone Tuesday, shortly before he walked into the interview room at Yankee Stadium and made the announcement.

"He gave me his support," Torre said. "I'm just pleased I'm able to stay on and do this."

The two also spoke on Monday.

"I talked to George yesterday for probably 15, 20 minutes, and we discussed a lot of things: the team, what we do from here and things like that," Torre said.

The Daily News had reported Sunday that Steinbrenner was expected to fire Torre after the Yankees were eliminated by the Detroit Tigers, the Yankees' second straight elimination in the first round of the AL playoffs. The paper said the likely replacement would be Lou Piniella, who served two terms as Yankees manager in the 1980s. On Tuesday, the New York Post reported that Torre's job was safe.

Torre didn't make any public statements Sunday or Monday as camera crews camped outside his home in suburban Westchester.

"I thought I had the cure for cancer or something," Torre said.

While the Yankees won four World Series titles in Torre's first five seasons, they haven't won any since 2000, angering the demanding Steinbrenner. They last reached the World Series in 2003.

"He requires a lot. He expects a lot. We know that," Torre said. "You can't pick and choose the parts you like about working for George Steinbrenner. You have to understand the whole package. He requires us to be the best team out there and to be able to perform like it."

Torre, hired after the 1995 season, has one year remaining on his contract. He said he wasn't sure whether he wanted to manage beyond 2007.

Late in the season and during the playoffs, he made several controversial decisions. He moved right fielder Gary Sheffield to first base when he returned from wrist surgery, and put Hideki Matsui back in left in place of Melky Cabrera when Matsui came back from a broken wrist.

The most debated decision was when he dropped Alex Rodriguez, baseball's highest-paid player at $252 million, to the No. 8 spot in the batting order for Saturday's season-ending 8-3 loss.

Rodriguez was repeatedly booed at Yankee Stadium this season, his third with New York.

"I want to believe that, yes, as far as I'm concerned, Alex Rodriguez is one of the important pieces to this puzzle here," Torre said.

With 1,973 regular-season wins, Torre is 10th on the career list and third among active managers behind Tony La Russa of the St. Louis Cardinals (2,297) and Bobby Cox (2,171) of the Atlanta Braves.

Torre has the longest uninterrupted term for a Yankees manager since Casey Stengel held the job for 12 years from 1949-60. Under Torre, the Yankees have gone 1,079-699. He trails only Joe McCarthy (1,460) and Stengel (1,149) for victories among Yankees managers.

Torre's press confrence

Randolph B+.

Torre C-.

Anyone can take that team to the play offs.

Randolph didn't have to deal with anything compared to all the things that happened to Torre, all the injuries, pitching staff, A-Rod struggles, etc. Regardless, I still wanted him fired at first but now that I think about it I don't know the Yankees without Joe Torre...being as young as I am. It would be weird...seeing like Jeter without Torre...idk..he's a Yankee thats what I see him as.

Randolph didn't have to deal with anything compared to all the things that happened to Torre, all the injuries, pitching staff, A-Rod struggles, etc. Regardless, I still wanted him fired at first but now that I think about it I don't know the Yankees without Joe Torre...being as young as I am. It would be weird...seeing like Jeter without Torre...idk..he's a Yankee thats what I see him as.

This season Willie has dealt with way more injuries than george, joe, and co. have this year. I don't know where you get your info.

Ok ready to go to school, ok ready? set? Here we go!

All the injuries huh? You mean the fact that his top 3 starters did not miss anytime? What injuries to his pitching staff? The 2 weeks that Mariano rested AFTER they wrapped up the AL East? RJ? Mussina? Wang? How many starts did they miss? Please do not tell me you mean Pavano? Sheff and MAtsui? Yeah gets credit for that, he also was able to send out an all star at 3b, ss, 2b, 1b, c and CF despite losing his corner outfielders.

Now that stuff that "Randolph didn't have to deal with ". 2 DL stints from his top starter and lost him for the year. 5 starts missed from his #2 starter and a health scare that COULD have ended his career. HIs #3 stater(who had to become his #2) injured and out for the playoffs. Victor Zambrano(although a POS) yet still his #4 starter out for the year. DUaner Sanchez, his BEST RELIEF PITCHER and probably the BEST SET UP MAN IN THE NL at the time OUT FOR THE YEAR. #5 Starter Brian Bannister 60 Day DL resigned to 5 starts all year. Cliff Floyd his corner outfielder out with 2 DL stints and so hurt he is unavailable for the playoffs. Willie trotted out 14, YES 14 different starting pitchers this year. When teams do that they usually LOSE 97 games, not win them.

Before you make a statement so ridiculously STUPID as that one, realize that some of us pay attention. I in now way am knocking what Torre did, he managed quite well using some role players in LF and RF to get by until his final 2 ALL STARS were back for the playoffs, but do not discount that Willie had nothing like this. A case can be made(as I did) that Willie had it far worse in terms of injuries. WHat they both did was get great play out of role players like Chavez and Valentin for the Mets and Cabrera and Bernie for the Yanks.

The Mets had more significant injuries than the Yankees did. They used more than a dozen starting pitchers. Lost their best relief pitcher for the season. Cliff Floyd has been on the DL twice. This is a guy who led the team in home runs with 32 last year. Even Beltran has missed close to 20 games with leg injuries. The Mets have a 37 year old career shortstop/3B playing second base.

The Yankees lost Sheffield and Matsui. Matsui was hitting . 261 at the time, and the guy who replaced him was much better defensively.

Sheffield was replaced by a decent kid some of you may know named BOBBY ABREU.

And in case you haven't noticed, Randolph has led his team deep into the playoffs without 2 veteran starters with alot of postseason experience,while Torre was sent home due in large part to his own baffling moves he made in the playoffs.

I expect the same outcome next season if not worse. :TD:

No it will be the same. I don't think we'll be worse.

The thing is...if Torre wasn't brought back who could we bring in? Could Lou Pinella have been the answer?

I'd like to see our payroll take a dip...so people can layoff the stupid PAYROLL excuse. Look what is bought us...NOTHING. We need cheaper guys who have heart.

I've heard some rumors on ESPN about "The Third Baseman" going to the Cubs. Question: FOR WHO?

No it will be the same. I don't think we'll be worse.

The thing is...if Torre wasn't brought back who could we bring in? Could Lou Pinella have been the answer?

I'd like to see our payroll take a dip...so people can layoff the stupid PAYROLL excuse. Look what is bought us...NOTHING. We need cheaper guys who have heart.

I've heard some rumors on ESPN about "The Third Baseman" going to the Cubs. Question: FOR WHO?

Mattingly would've been the next manager...