SportsWrath

NFL official Suspended

Lughead

Until they start getting docked pay for these egregious mistakes, or at least fined, I find it hard to see this as a step in the right direction. Something is definitely fishy about this one...it may just be an honest mistake, but 18 seconds is an eternity at that point of the game.

Until they start getting docked pay for these egregious mistakes, or at least fined, I find it hard to see this as a step in the right direction. Something is definitely fishy about this one...it may just be an honest mistake, but 18 seconds is an eternity at that point of the game.

The whole 'grading' system they use to upgrade and downgrade NFL crews obviously isnt working.

Sure every NFL penalty is reviewed every week at the NFL HQ but they really need to start doing more besides just preventing them from calling big games.

Yeah they could "eventually" lose their jobs if they keep fucking up, but I havent heard of any refs being fired for poor officiating.

not sure if while he is under suspension he will or wont get paid it does not mention that in the article.

not sure if while he is under suspension he will or wont get paid it does not mention that in the article.

I think I read that he is still getting paid, but it might have been something I just read in the comments section.

When do we get to the point where we have like 2 officials on the field as enforcers that maintain order and spot footballs...with all the penalty calls and turnover calls coming from the booth? And there is little reason why we still rely on judgement calls and reviews for spotting the ball...crossing the plane of the goalline....first downs...etc. Why not add a GPS chip or something like that? I think that the league is getting to the point where the outcomes of some games that were compromised could easily be remedied by balancing technology and review.

I think I read that he is still getting paid, but it might have been something I just read in the comments section.

When do we get to the point where we have like 2 officials on the field as enforcers that maintain order and spot footballs...with all the penalty calls and turnover calls coming from the booth? And there is little reason why we still rely on judgement calls and reviews for spotting the ball...crossing the plane of the goalline....first downs...etc. Why not add a GPS chip or something like that? I think that the league is getting to the point where the outcomes of some games that were compromised could easily be remedied by balancing technology and review.

That's actually a good idea. Soccer and I think NHL has done that. When there is a pile there will be less doubt.

The big issue is all the rules and it's slowly ruining the game. Is there any other league that has so many penalties it ruins the flow of the game? The NFL needs to start cutting back the rule book.

I like the way they handle penalties in Rugby. If the Ref isn't sure he can call for a booth review from the field (he has an ear piece) and actually discusses the issue and the particular points he wants reviewed with the booth, asking for their recommendation (including if an action was accidental or malicious), though the booth's recommendation isn't binding.

The adjudication of the game clock has been one of the most confounding things in the NFL to me for a while now. I'm glad this is getting attention, but there are far more inconsistencies when it comes to the game clock on a week to week basis that nobody ever seems to even notice or is concerned about.