SportsWrath

Mets Lock up Reyes through 2010

Blue Jeans

The New York Mets announced today that they have signed infielder Jose Reyes to a four-year contract extension worth $23.25 million with a club option for 2011.

Reyes, who turned 23 on June 11th, was signed by the Mets to a non-drafted free agent contact in August, 1999. The 6-0, 160-pound switch-hitter leads the majors with 13 triples and 44 stolen bases this season. Jose is also second in the majors with 88 runs scored while hitting .293 (127-433) with 20 doubles, 45 RBI and a career-high 37 walks. Reyes has already tied the franchise single season record for home runs by a shortstop with 10 (Kevin Elster in 1989 and Ed Bressoud in 1966).

"The commitment from ownership is to sign our core players to long term contracts so they can be part of the team for years to come," said Mets Senior Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer Jeff Wilpon. "We are delighted to reach this agreement with Jose Reyes. It's something that gives our team stability and a foundation to build upon now and in the future."

Jose was named the National League's starting shortstop in this year's All-Star Game in Pittsburgh, but was unable to participate due to an injury.

"Jose is one of the most exciting young players in the game today," said Mets General Manager Omar Minaya. "He is one of the lightening rods for our offense and we couldn't be more excited to agree to a long term contract with him."

Reyes already ranks fifth on the team's All-Time Stolen Base List with 136 and third on the All-Time Triple List with 36.

Jose hit .273 (190-696) with 99 runs scored, 24 doubles, 17 triples, seven home runs, 58 RBI with 60 stolen bases in 2005.

"It's an exciting day for me," said Reyes. "I never dreamt this was imaginable when I signed as a 16-year-old. I owe a great deal of thanks to Fred and Jeff Wilpon and Omar Minaya for making this happen."

During his four-year major league career, Jose is batting .282 (457-1,623) with 267 runs scored, 72 doubles, 36 triples, 24 home runs, 149 RBI and a 136 stolen bases in 383 games.

Gotta give Omar some credit here. He got a great deal and seems like we got off easy here. Wright will be a different story. How much do you guys think he will cost per year? I say anywhere from 8-10 mil.

I wouldn't be surprised at 12