SportsWrath

LBs Assuming There's a Season

Sephiroth

You know, we may finally not be a bottom-5 unit at LB for the first time in forever. 

Markus Golden was pretty decent for us last year, and between Carter and Ximines one should hopefully emerge on the other side as well. If not than Kyler Fat Girl might return to form and become a decent pass rusher again. 

Martinez was a pretty meh signing, but I thought Connelly looked really good before the injury and has been cleared to play. Mayo is at least serviceable and a good special teams player. Cam Brown looked better than decent in college as did Carter Coughlin at MLB and weakside, respectively. 

I'd be pretty happy if these guys ended up somewhere in the middle of the pack in the positional rankings this year and I think they might be able to do it. A far cry from the Spencer Paysinger - Mark Herzlich - Some Other Guy for sure. 

2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

How does that place even exist when the members drag their knuckles and don't know how to read? 

I haven't been there in a while, but the level of trash talking was pretty epic.

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

I think Martinez is going to be better than we've been giving him credit for since he signed.

My biggest issue and from what everything I've read and seen, he isnt a good backer in any department, and not near worth the contract he signed.

However the Giants needed a LB.

He isnt a good coverage guy, he isnt good at setting the edge, he isnt good at getting into the backfield.

He's good at tackling after the ball carrier is past the line of scrimmage.

This video sums up my feelings;

Pretty sure the Giants staff has done a lot more research than the 15 minute fan video.  Clearly they see something we do not and they didn't just sign him because we needed a linebacker because the Giants could have easily gone after other linebackers that were also available.  I'm not going to judge Blake Martinez on 15 minute fan video and will wait to see him on the field for the New York Giants and it is there that he will prove the organization was right or wrong.

4 hours ago, Tempest said:

Pretty sure the Giants staff has done a lot more research than the 15 minute fan video.  Clearly they see something we do not and they didn't just sign him because we needed a linebacker because the Giants could have easily gone after other linebackers that were also available.  I'm not going to judge Blake Martinez on 15 minute fan video and will wait to see him on the field for the New York Giants and it is there that he will prove the organization was right or wrong.

He's showing all 22 film.

There's a difference between a 3 minute highlight video and actual 22 film showing Martinez being exploited and outrun by even the slowest QBs in the NFL.

And you're right I'm sure the Giants did do their homework, just like they did with Nate Solder, or Johnathan Stewart or Newhouse, etc, etc.

7 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

He's showing all 22 film.

There's a difference between a 3 minute highlight video and actual 22 film showing Martinez being exploited and outrun by even the slowest QBs in the NFL.

And you're right I'm sure the Giants did do their homework, just like they did with Nate Solder, or Johnathan Stewart or Newhouse, etc, etc.

Very easy to point out the failures which leaves us with the successes.  You're disappointed by the Giants signing Martinez and you'd rather have Littleton, that's fine.  I'm going to give Martinez the opportunity to disappoint me instead of declaring it the day we signed him.