SportsWrath

Sitton to Bears.

Sephiroth

The biggest issue here is that this should've been taken care of a long time ago and it wasn't. Instead we're sitting here debating about a guy who was released in final cuts not being picked up to start for us. That's ridiculous. These guys think they've addressed the ol because we've drafted OL high in 3 of the last 4 drafts. That's nice... there are 5 OL starters and right now only one of them can be trusted, Richburg. Flowers is struggling mightily. Pugh can't stay on the field. Jerry needs to prove that all his training camp hype is for real, Newhouse is terrible on his best day, and Beatty is gonna be expected to come in and play completely out of his natural position and be the savior.

The biggest issue here is that this should've been taken care of a long time ago and it wasn't. Instead we're sitting here debating about a guy who was released in final cuts not being picked up to start for us. That's ridiculous. These guys think they've addressed the ol because we've drafted OL high in 3 of the last 4 drafts. That's nice... there are 5 OL starters and right now only one of them can be trusted, Richburg. Flowers is struggling mightily. Pugh can't stay on the field. Jerry needs to prove that all his training camp hype is for real, Newhouse is terrible on his best day, and Beatty is gonna be expected to come in and play completely out of his natural position and be the savior.

I trust 3/5 of the line and that is an improvement and your trust is also an opinion. Ready or not we have another NFL season before us and remember this, before the NY Giants Offensive line became a good one by the standards of others it was the same line the year before with one exception.

I trust 3/5 of the line and that is an improvement and your trust is also an opinion. Ready or not we have another NFL season before us and remember this, before the NY Giants Offensive line became a good one by the standards of others it was the same line the year before with one exception.

Fwiw your trust is an opinion as well and it's incredibly rose colored. Serious question... what about that 3/5 our OL makes you trust them? I don't see anything other than major contributors to a poor running game and Eli getting hit on 1/3 of his pass attempts. Also that one exception you speak about, Kareem Mackenzie, was a HUGE exception and it's proof that free agency also needs to be used correctly to solidify this line as well instead of just "well we used high draft picks in 3 consecutive years so I believe we have addressed the OL". Reese's words... not anyone else's.

The line will be fine. Just like it was last year. Eli threw for career numbers. When they finally decided to knock off the 4 heading running back committee, Jennings was a top 5 producer. No Andre Williams is addition by subtraction as he wouldn't even be able to identify the hole he was born from. Most QBs get hit, Eli is tough.

I'm much more concerned with their ability to get the ball into the end zone and convert third downs as it is the same offense that couldn't do it last year. Who is going to step up at skill positions to compliment OBJ? Are they finally going to appropriately use Shane Vereen? Etc, etc.

On defense, let's hope Spagnuolo has figured out how to stop an offense on third and medium-long and force a punt because the team failed at that regularly last year.

The line will be fine. Just like it was last year. Eli threw for career numbers. When they finally decided to knock off the 4 heading running back committee, Jennings was a top 5 producer. No Andre Williams is addition by subtraction as he wouldn't even be able to identify the hole he was born from. Most QBs get hit, Eli is tough.

I'm much more concerned with their ability to get the ball into the end zone and convert third downs as it is the same offense that couldn't do it last year. Who is going to step up at skill positions to compliment OBJ? Are they finally going to appropriately use Shane Vereen? Etc, etc.

On defense, let's hope Spagnuolo has figured out how to stop an offense on third and medium-long and force a punt because the team failed at that regularly last year.

That's just it... the line WASN'T fine last year. Eli is just that good at manipulating the pocket. And how many of those near-misses would've been sacks and/or worse if not for Eli's pocket presence and the offense being more geared towards quick passing? A better idea... imagine Gilbride's offense with this OL. If they indeed get it together and become a passable unit then great... hopefully it happens before someone rips Eli's head off.

Please go watch how bad Newhouse actually was. This guy was on his back behind Eli on damn near every play.

And I'm not throwing anything away. Just stating exactly how bad the OL situation is and how it'll hamper us throughout the season since we basically neutered our chances of improving the line during free agency.

Please go watch how bad Newhouse actually was. This guy was on his back behind Eli on damn near every play.

And I'm not throwing anything away. Just stating exactly how bad the OL situation is and how it'll hamper us throughout the season since we basically neutered our chances of improving the line during free agency.

Why should I go back and watch Newhouse? I never said he didn't suck.

Lol Because this "we had him last year" idea is like saying he doesn't. Fwiw I hate talking down about the guy, but real is real. He doesn't belong on the field.

No it's saying as bad as he was, we still would have won a bunch of games had we simply played a little bit of defense.

No it's saying as bad as he was, we still would have won a bunch of games had we simply played a little bit of defense.

Yep.

Which is why I'm kind of optimistic about this season, as much as I think it will end 9-7, with this defense I can see 11-5.

I mean look at Denver, the team had no pass protection and no run game, a hobbled Manning and Matt Flynn 2. Their defense carried their team to the SB, I'm thinking the Giant's can get to that point.

Fwiw your trust is an opinion as well and it's incredibly rose colored. Serious question... what about that 3/5 our OL makes you trust them? I don't see anything other than major contributors to a poor running game and Eli getting hit on 1/3 of his pass attempts. Also that one exception you speak about, Kareem Mackenzie, was a HUGE exception and it's proof that free agency also needs to be used correctly to solidify this line as well instead of just "well we used high draft picks in 3 consecutive years so I believe we have addressed the OL". Reese's words... not anyone else's.

I freely acknowledge my opinion on the offensive line as well. I see 3/5 in Flowers, Pugh and Richburg. MacKenzie was a 2005 free agent signing. You shouldn't be surprised by Reese's words when it comes to the offensive line because he sees them the same way Ernie Accorsi did.

I freely acknowledge my opinion on the offensive line as well. I see 3/5 in Flowers, Pugh and Richburg. MacKenzie was a 2005 free agent signing. You shouldn't be surprised by Reese's words when it comes to the offensive line because he sees them the same way Ernie Accorsi did.

I'm not surprised by Reese's words cause it's company line bullshit. I don't expect him to come out and say "No... I'm not confident because our line sucks ass." but I expect him to acknowledge that he isn't finished.

I mentioned MacKenzie because I assumed that's who you were referring to in regards to the addition. Were you talking about someone else?

Put it like this... I see 3/5 of a work in progress line. I trust 1 of the 3 right now, because the other 2 are: A... still learning and struggling mightily (Flowers) and B... oft injured and Imho still out of position (Pugh). And I sincerely hope they prove me wrong. I hope I have to come in here and say Reese was right and I was wrong to doubt him in regards to the OL. I just don't see it right now.

I'm not surprised by Reese's words cause it's company line bullshit. I don't expect him to come out and say "No... I'm not confident because our line sucks ass." but I expect him to acknowledge that he isn't finished.

I mentioned MacKenzie because I assumed that's who you were referring to in regards to the addition. Were you talking about someone else?

Put it like this... I see 3/5 of a work in progress line. I trust 1 of the 3 right now, because the other 2 are: A... still learning and struggling mightily (Flowers) and B... oft injured and Imho still out of position (Pugh). And I sincerely hope they prove me wrong. I hope I have to come in here and say Reese was right and I was wrong to doubt him in regards to the OL. I just don't see it right now.

Suebert coming back from his broken leg injury, Diehl moving to LT, and Petitgout being released. That was the change I was thinking about. At that point the offensive line really became the unit it needed to be.

Have a hard time deciding who was the more influential free agent between MacKenzie and O'Hara: They were both exactly what was needed.

Oft injured Pugh? 44 starts in 48 games is an excellent start to a promising career and one that I wouldn't be thinking health is an issue. Pugh has proven so far to be good enough to play any position along the line if necessary. Flowers is in his second season and somehow it was forgotten how much Richburg struggled his first year. Wait till the third and fourth year before worrying about player development because that is when you know you'll need to find his replacement.

I think it is going to be a great year for the team, and a confidence builder for the fans.

Suebert coming back from his broken leg injury, Diehl moving to LT, and Petitgout being released. That was the change I was thinking about. At that point the offensive line really became the unit it needed to be.

Have a hard time deciding who was the more influential free agent between MacKenzie and O'Hara: They were both exactly what was needed.

Oft injured Pugh? 44 starts in 48 games is an excellent start to a promising career and one that I wouldn't be thinking health is an issue. Pugh has proven so far to be good enough to play any position along the line if necessary. Flowers is in his second season and somehow it was forgotten how much Richburg struggled his first year. Wait till the third and fourth year before worrying about player development because that is when you know you'll need to find his replacement.

I think it is going to be a great year for the team, and a confidence builder for the fans.

Seubert I forgot about, but he was a huge addition.

And you'd have to give the edge to O'Hara there just because he was the anchor of the whole line.

Pugh, for as much as he starts, is always hurt. Hell... last year he had what was called a slight concussion (going by what I read from our beat writers on twitter) and was out for weeks. Now (I know it's preseason precautions but...) he's dealing with a shoulder issue.

And I don't remember Richburg struggling at Center. He struggled when he was playing out of position next to Walton... who was so lackluster Reese eliminated him immediately the following offseason. Now... am I ready to give up on Flowers or Pugh for that matter? Not a chance. But do I think they need to improve in order to gain said trust? Absolutely.