You know its sad but true...

Guest Floyd The Barber

Guest Floyd The Barber
New York Giants

Giants' defensive tackles won't get it done in 2006

By Connor J. Byrne on May 17, 2006 01:19 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | RSS

New York Giants Email Alerts

Subscribe to other teams

The New York Giants are regarded by most as one of the NFC's biggest contenders, but their weakness at the defensive tackle position may hinder them from reaching their ultimate goal in 2006. The two starting tackles are nowhere near elite, nor is the Giants' depth at the position.

The left defensive tackle, Fred Robbins, has been in the league for six years, but he's never shown the ability to be a dominant force at the position. The 325-pounder has never accumulated more than 39 tackles in a season, which he did in 2004. Last season, the 29-year-old piled up just 26 tackles and 1.5 sacks. Defensive tackles aren't necessarily known for their massive amounts of takedowns, but Robbins still leaves a lot to be desired. He's the type of player who may be a terrific backup somewhere; nevertheless, he isn't an ideal starter.

Opposite Robbins, the Giants bring former University of Miami standout William Joseph. A first-round pick in the 2003 NFL Draft, Joseph has never lived up the hype brought upon him by being a 25th overall selection. In 39 career games Joseph has totaled just 51 tackles and five sacks. At 315 pounds Joseph has solid size, speed and potential, but he hasn't at all been worthy of where he was selected thus far in his career. In fact, he's among few lousy first-round picks in general manager Ernie Accorsi's era in New York.

As mentioned earlier, the Giants' depth at the defensive tackle position also leaves a lot to be desired. Damane Duckett and Barry Cofield are New York's current contingency plans, and if you're wondering who that tandem is, you're not alone.

The 25-year-old Duckett has appeared in just 14 games in his first two NFL seasons, accumulating a total of six tackles. The East Carolina product has spent both years with the Giants, so he knows the team's defensive system, which is a positive. Unfortunately, the 300-pounder hasn't shown enough ability to earn any semblance of decent playing time. However, should Robbins go down because of an injury next season, he'll start.

Joseph's backup, Cofield, will be a rookie next season. The former Northwestern star was selected recently by the Giants in the fourth round of the draft, and he may be a nice option for New York in the future. At 309 pounds, Cofield's good for defensive coordinator Tim Lewis' system because it tends to use smaller tackles. Cofield's 4.94 40-yard dash at February's scouting combine demonstrates his athleticism. However, Cofield's rawness may prevent him from overtaking Joseph or Robbins as a starter next season. Much like Duckett, he'll be thrown to the wolves if one of the starters goes down with an injury.

For right now, it appears the New York Giants ' defensive tackles are a major cause for concern entering next season. If the defense fails to play up to its expected level, it'll most likely be thanks to Robbins and Joseph holding it back. The Giants were able to get away with their tackles last season, since Kendrick Clancy was on the roster. Now that he's gone, it'll be a whole lot tougher.

Guest Dye Job

All you pie in the sky morons who have neglected the obvious observations of the Fab Four hopefully will begin to see a glint of light. William Joseph is one of EA's most serious blunders. I'd rather still have Ron Dayne on our roster then that big waste of human flesh. And then he has the outlandish set of nuts to train down in South Beach ????

This guy should be raking seaweed off the beaches oh Haitti !!!

Guest Floyd The Barber

at the very least we got a very good rookie year out of Dayne...he was then faded completely out by the full time emergence of our Tiki, and his inability to run without being taken down by a mere swipe...

Joseph on the other hand, has done NOTHING to make a claim that he is or shows any potential as a football player...

remember what we witnessed from him at Albany in 2005 DyeJob ?? utterly sickened

Guest Dye Job

How this guy continues to find himself in a Giant uniform could go down as one of the biggest mysteries known to man. He single handidly brings the Giant defense down significantly every time he's on the field. I certainly hope TC comes to his senses this year and throws him to the curb where he belongs.

Guest Floyd The Barber
DT take longer to MATURE then most other positions in the NFL. This is Josephs year, if he can't put up, then he can shut up.

stop, this excuse is over-used and over-valued...its a moot point...stop trying to convince yourself this man has any sort of value to our NYG Blue...

Once again, I offer this bet to any member of the Fab 4.

If William Joseph gets cut anytime before Week 1, I leave this forum forever. After all, I am "insignificant" and the Fab 4 does have superior football knowledge and understanding and believe he will get cut.

If William Joseph makes the team, you leave this forum forever.

Deal?

stop, this excuse is over-used and over-valued...its a moot point...stop trying to convince yourself this man has any sort of value to our NYG Blue...

Tell me of 5 DT that have made an impact in their rookie season.

Guest Floyd The Barber
How this guy continues to find himself in a Giant uniform could go down as one of the biggest mysteries known to man. He single handidly brings the Giant defense down significantly every time he's on the field. I certainly hope TC comes to his senses this year and throws him to the curb where he belongs.

TC has, and that is why he was forced to place Justin Tuck at 260lb. at DT...and he still out-performed the bloated 320lb. Joseph at position where he was severaly mismatched week in week out...

expect to see more of my man JUSTIN TUCK

Hold outs are slow starters and so first year, no surprise.

Had a lackluster follow up year, so did Cornelius, so whatever.

Last season, getting better. Since the Faux Four feeds of the Pittsburgh tit, watch their investment in players and coaches and learn.

No you babies, quit begging for your bottle, Daddy's here to answer all your questions.

Guest nosebleed

As usual, this has been stated for the past three years by myself and three other members.

The starters will be Robbins and Cofield. Presently, Cofield is penciled in at Clancy's old spot, which is out of position for him. When camp begins, the coaches will see a slimmer Robbins and a rookie with determination, not some big fat disgusting putz wearing #94. It will be the Giants' best hope at this point. Pierce was campaigning for a DT, hopefully Cofield will be that man.

#94 can go back to where he belongs, which is flipping hamburgers and hot dogs up in Albany for myself and the remaining members of the Fab when we overtake training camp in August.

Guest Dye Job
Once again, I offer this bet to any member of the Fab 4.

If William Joseph gets cut anytime before Week 1, I leave this forum forever. After all, I am "insignificant" and the Fab 4 does have superior football knowledge and understanding and believe he will get cut.

If William Joseph makes the team, you leave this forum forever.

Deal?

We have already witnessed three years of obvious failure by this slob yet team management for some insane reason has kept him. The embarrasment of releasing another in a long list of first round busts can be the only answer.

The Fab Four would gladly back their beliefs by accepting any fair bet. However in this case there is something beyond logic keeping this guy on the roster. We possess to high an intellect to accept such a one sided bet as the one you offer.

Guest nosebleed
We have already witnessed three years of obvious failure by this slob yet team management for some insane reason has kept him. The embarrasment of releasing another in a long list of first round busts can be the only answer.

The Fab Four would gladly back their beliefs by accepting any fair bet. However in this case there is something beyond logic keeping this guy on the roster. We possess to high an intellect to accept such a one sided bet as the one you offer.

It's mindnumbing to see this human waste on the field.

Why won't you take it? If he's as bad as you say he is, why is he still on the roster? Why won't he get cut?

Put your money where your mouth. Don't pus out you little baby.

As I have stated before, it takes DT longer to be developed then other positions in the NFL. Osi a DE only developed in a pro bowl player last season, and a DE position is a lot easier to ménage then being a DT.

Guest nosebleed
As I have stated before, it takes DT longer to be developed then other positions in the NFL. Osi a DE only developed in a pro bowl player last season, and a DE position is a lot easier to ménage then being a DT.

Come on, I could believe this if this slob displayed an ounce of talent, but he is nothing more than a 320 pound of blackberry jelly.

Pretty funny from a guy that has "to" high an intellect, as opposed to "too" high an intellect. You crack me up, dye. Anyway, bseides the obvious embarassment from having to cut a first round pick, I believe there are financial considerations for keeping Joseph. If he does not perform well at camp this year, he will be let go. There are hungrier and cheaper players that would love to have his starting spot. Agreed?

Guest Floyd The Barber
Pretty funny from a guy that has "to" high an intellect, as opposed to "too" high an intellect. You crack me up, dye. Anyway, bseides the obvious embarassment from having to cut a first round pick, I believe there are financial considerations for keeping Joseph. If he does not perform well at camp this year, he will be let go. There are hungrier and cheaper players that would love to have his starting spot. Agreed?

very well put...being the HOMER of all HOMERS you are, maybe others can finally see that it doesnt take a member of the FAB 4 to agree upon someone who has been a career underachiever...

Guest Dye Job
very well put...being the HOMER of all HOMERS you are, maybe others can finally see that it doesnt take a member of the FAB 4 to agree upon someone who has been a career underachiever...

Lets not forget that Rely was once on the precipe of becoming part of the elite circle other wise known as the Fab Four. There is still much good in him.

I'm not the homer of all homers, Floyd. I'm just a rabid fan that's willing to overlook the warts, at times, and also willing to give the front office and coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. I too have my moments where my patience wears thin. But I also realize that we all are in the same boat and have the same ultimate desire for our team, that if being SB champs. I'm just a little more patient and forgiving, compared to you rabid dogs. I can be objective, can you?

Lets not forget that Rely was once on the precipe of becoming part of the elite circle other wise known as the Fab Four. There is still much good in him.

Thanks, dye. I'm still waiting for that application you said you mailed to me. ;)

OK lets be truthful. This article has merit !! !!

The DT situation is weak unless coach Coughlin

has info the transends the media which we all hope

he does otherwise we have weakness.

I have been hearing seawrights named mentioned but

whats that about ? he has no playing experience.

Ducket has potential but we can only pray he steps up.

Robbins even with the right weight wont be dynamic

allthough I see him as the most promising solution to the

3 gap. But what about 1 gap NT?? Duckett ? Seawright ?

Coefield is a freakin rookie !!!

The only reason the giants wont win the division is because

they let it get away from them. The have yet to replace

Clancy and the article is correct in my opinion unless

a player or players step up big and that a big guess right now!!

been bitching about this for months!!!

i hope i'm wrong!! :brooding: