SportsWrath

brandon marshall to the jets

Herc

6'3 and he's got less left than Marshall does. The draft is loaded with Wrs and both of these guys are overpaid

He has 1-2 seasons left playing at a high level, IMO. Andre Johnson is a little underrated here. He likely isn't going to get more than a 2 year deal unless he's cuttable without cap implications. If you watched him play this past season, he was very good with a terrible QB situation and where Deandre Hopkins was taking over as the primary target.

He might work out as a short term possession receiver but he also might fall off overnight based on him being on the downswing of his career and all those miles on his legs. Randles an unrestricted free agent after this season and Cruz is a cut candidate if he isn't the same this year. I'd rather draft someone cheap with upside than gamble that Johnson can hold it together for two or more seasons

I think this whole "Eli likes tall receivers" thing is overblown anyway. I think Eli likes good receivers.

Nicks, Cruz, Beckham all aren't "tall receivers" but have had success with Eli.

This.

Other than Burress (and Amani Toomer, who was already on the team), most of Manning's passing yards went to shorter WRs. Neither has been on the team since 2008, and no tall receivers have been substantially involved in his peak passing seasons to date.

It's one of those myths that have lingered, from about the same time the "Manning can't play in bad weather" deal early on.

This.

Other than Burress (and Amani Toomer, who was already on the team), most of Manning's passing yards went to shorter WRs. Neither has been on the team since 2008, and no tall receivers have been substantially involved in his peak passing seasons to date.

It's one of those myths that have lingered, from about the same time the "Manning can't play in bad weather" deal early on.

He had tall TE targets during that time. Not a myth that he throws a high ball. Watch a game once in a while. ;p

He had tall TE targets during that time. Not a myth that he throws a high ball. Watch a game once in a while. ;p

Oh, ok. If i gotta... :P

But I think that the stats for TE would be substantially higher if he particularly sought tall receivers.

Although you're right, he tends to throw high.

He has 1-2 seasons left playing at a high level, IMO. Andre Johnson is a little underrated here. He likely isn't going to get more than a 2 year deal unless he's cuttable without cap implications. If you watched him play this past season, he was very good with a terrible QB situation and where Deandre Hopkins was taking over as the primary target.

I always thought Johnson was overrated. TD numbers were never good and most of his numbers were because of him being the primary target. His ypc avg is not great either

This.

Actually there was a time when Eli Manning just sucked in cold weather... especially when our D would stay on the field which in turn kept Manning even longer on the bench.

Wow, I think he's a hall of famer.

Wow! He was a nice 10-15 yard intermediate target. Not a single year with double digit touchdowns, Out of 1,012 catches only 142 of them were 20 plus yards and had five out of 13 years with 100 plus receptions.

Odell Beckham 14.3 yds/rec last season. Intermediate target? I'm not arguing for Andre Johnson to play here. I wouldn't mind it. Honestly I'm good with the receivers in house, mostly. More pressing is a Victor Cruz replacement, a shifty slot receiver, as we don't know what we're getting when Cruz comes back. I realize Andre Johnson isn't in his prime any longer. But to say he hasn't had a stellar career is just... plain nonsense. You knocked him for not having 100 reception seasons but 5 times out of 13 seasons. Aftrr his sophomore year he has had over 100 receptions in EVERY season in which he has played 16 games. He played 15 this year and got 85... so he wouldn't have made it anyway, but it's not like 90 catches and a thousand yards is a failure.

Put his stats next to Fitzy's. Pretty comparable career. Same yds/rec avg, Fitzy with better overall numbers but their careers aren't that far apart. Just funny where some of you guys set the bar. Not many guys that have played since 2003 in the NFL has had as good a career as AJ.

Actually there was a time when Eli Manning just sucked in cold weather... especially when our D would stay on the field which in turn kept Manning even longer on the bench.

1/20/2008 dispelled that rumor.

He got that rep after the game against Washington when they had him throw a ridiculous amount in a wind storm. Somehow, that morphed into "cold weather." Another was the Buffalo game in 2007--during a freaking snowstorm. Of course, if you are relying on the pass in those conditions, you are a fool.

If you want to say he can't throw into the wind, fine. Not many QBs can.

He got that rep after the game against Washington when they had him throw a ridiculous amount in a wind storm. Somehow, that morphed into "cold weather." Another was the Buffalo game in 2007--during a freaking snowstorm. Of course, if you are relying on the pass in those conditions, you are a fool.

If you want to say he can't throw into the wind, fine. Not many QBs can.

I'm just going by what I've seen from him over the years... In the later years that hasn't been much of an issue.