SportsWrath

Antrelle Rolle: No need to simplify defense again.

JMFP

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/05/antrel_rolle_giants_defense_wont_need_to_be_simplified_again.html

".....

It is a common narrative surrounding the Giants defense.

Every two years or so, Perry Fewell's scheme undergoes a simplification process that seems to re-energize the defense and cut down on the communication issues.

That, of course, is after there are issues.

But with a new, reloaded secondary this offseason, Antrel Rolle said he doesn't see that being necessary anymore.

"The way you keep it from getting complicated is everyone buying into the program at the same time," Rolle said earlier this week at the United Way Gridiron Gala in Manhattan. "And sell that. Whatever the scheme is. That way, Perry doesn't have to mix and gamble and do so many different things to overcompensate for one unit and so forth and so on.

"But so far, so good. Everyone is buying into the system. We're learning, we're all learning at the same speed so it will be great."

A free agency overhaul helped pique the energy level in camp this offseason. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Quintin Demps and Walter Thurmond were all brought in to strengthen a unit that had a good run under Fewell last year.

Instead of working their way up, though, a process solidified with the arrival of Jon Beason last year, Rolle hopes the Giants can avoid the pitfalls they saw a year ago during their six-game losing streak.

"Our energy level as opposed to the last couple years," Rolle said. "We're definitely on a pedestal right now. We're talking about energy level and more importantly how guys seem to be buying in and paying closer attention to detail.

"Film study, on-field, the competitiveness we have among each other is already insane. It's already a good thing."

...."

My thinking too, no way they can stink it up as bad as last year, the whole team.

Actually, our defense was decent. Ranked 8th overall for 32 teams. Our offense on the other hand, stunk up the joint in which we were 28th out of 32 teams.

We've actually added some defensive gems (while losing Joseph and Tuck). Our defensive backs should actually be an improvement. The line might be a little shoddy at first.

Also, we started out 6 games in the hole right out of the gate. We came on "stronger" the second half. A lot of injuries didn't help.

I can see us winning 10 games or more this year. I just pray we don't roll over and play dead for the first 6 games again.

Actually, our defense was decent. Ranked 8th overall for 32 teams. Our offense on the other hand, stunk up the joint in which we were 28th out of 32 teams.

We've actually added some defensive gems (while losing Joseph and Tuck). Our defensive backs should actually be an improvement. The line might be a little shoddy at first.

Also, we started out 6 games in the hole right out of the gate. We came on "stronger" the second half. A lot of injuries didn't help.

I can see us winning 10 games or more this year. I just pray we don't roll over and play dead for the first 6 games again.

I've called them at 10-11 games for the last 5 years..........looks to be the same again. The return of some people should be a great improvement too.

If the new guys can successfully execute Fewell's complicated schemes, that's fantastic.

But if they cannot, and it takes a 3rd player intervention to get Fewell to once again dial things back, then Fewell needs to be fired.

It was a big reason why the Giants started off the season 0-6. For the first 5+1/2 games, they couldn't stop anyone because they were too busy performing post-snap mental exercises.

If the new guys can successfully execute Fewell's complicated schemes, that's fantastic.

But if they cannot, and it takes a 3rd player intervention to get Fewell to once again dial things back, then Fewell needs to be fired.

It was a big reason why the Giants started off the season 0-6. For the first 5+1/2 games, they couldn't stop anyone because they were too busy performing post-snap mental exercises.

Yep, but at what point do you start to put some of that on TC?

Ranking aside.. the defense did fall on its face when we desparately needed a stop...

Yep, but at what point do you start to put some of that on TC?

I would put it on TC if Fewell fucks the pooch for the 3rd time and isn't fired.

But I get what you're saying. If I'm TC, I'm keeping a close on on Fewell to make sure he doesn't repeat past mistakes......the DC has to let his guys play full speed.