SportsWrath

NFL may lessen penalty on players who test positive for pot

BleedinBlue

This could be good news for Will Hill.

The NFL is thinking of dropping penalties for players who test positive for pot. It almost makes sense since pot is legal in a couple of states and is treated no different than alcohol....and of course, players don't get punished for drinking beer.....unless they shoot themselves with an unregistered gun.

On the same token, they are thinking of making penalties stiffer for testing positive for performance enhancing drugs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2014/05/14/nfls-new-policy-would-change-marijuana-discipline-report-says/

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/10927282/renegotiation-nfl-drug-policy-reduce-marijuana-punishments

I'm totally fine with it for recreational use. It certainly doesn't enhance performance anymore than getting drunk enhances performance. And since it's totally legal in Colorado and Washington, who the hell cares? If you're a Bronco or a Seahawk...everyone around you is smoking pot just as people sit in their back yards and drink beer. But they can't because they would get punished by the NFL for doing something that is legal and doesn't enhance performance.

And any other NFL player that is in Colorado or Washington, they can smoke pot legally...even though when they go back to their own state, they could test positive. Whole thing is kinda stupid. I'm glad the NFL is looking into it and thinking of changing it to reflect reality.

On the other hand, if a player was a pot head, he'd be out of football pretty quick simply because he wouldn't have the drive, motivation, clear headed thinking to compete with other players on the roster who are hungry to take their job.

I think that pot should be available for recreational use, so long as there is extensive education on its effects and so long as it carries the same penalties/laws that alcohol consumption has.

As for Will Hill, I don't know that the rule change would be retroactive in nature. You'd think that offenses committed while old rules were in effect would carry with them the penalty associated with the old rule.

I think that pot should be available for recreational use, so long as there is extensive education on its effects and so long as it carries the same penalties/laws that alcohol consumption has.

As for Will Hill, I don't know that the rule change would be retroactive in nature. You'd think that offenses committed while old rules were in effect would carry with them the penalty associated with the old rule.

yes but how do you deem some one was driving high? its about to a cops choice. thats pretty scary to me

yes but how do you deem some one was driving high? its about to a cops choice. thats pretty scary to me

If they can't test for it on the roadside as they do alcohol, then it becomes unenforcable. If it cannot be enforced, then it shouldn't be a law.

So, I'm fine with it becoming legal eventually, but it needs to be legalized in a responsible manner.

If they can't test for it on the roadside as they do alcohol, then it becomes unenforcable. If it cannot be enforced, then it shouldn't be a law.

So, I'm fine with it becoming legal eventually, but it needs to be legalized in a responsible manner.

They can't test prescription drugs roadside as they do alcohol, but it's enforced as dwi.

They can't test prescription drugs roadside as they do alcohol, but it's enforced as dwi.

How can they determine 'under influence' without a test?

Is it as simple as an observation of the officer added to an admission by the offender?

How can they determine 'under influence' without a test?

Is it as simple as an observation of the officer added to an admission by the offender?

no just observation

Has nothing to do with this season, first line of the ESPN source article.

It only matters if marijuana is the reason why he failed the drug test this year. in 2012 he failed because of Adderall and in 2013 it was marijuana. I still haven't seen anything anywhere saying specifically why he failed the test this year. Josh Gordon failed a drug test because of codeine in cough medicine.

Just an fyi states where pot is legal your pulled over and a cop thinks your high and deems it so, you get a dui. Im pretty sure there is no fighting it. for the life of me i cant understand anyone being against legalizing pot. talk about a victimless crime....

Just an fyi states where pot is legal your pulled over and a cop thinks your high and deems it so, you get a dui. Im pretty sure there is no fighting it. for the life of me i cant understand anyone being against legalizing pot. talk about a victimless crime....

Your not with the new age. A new thing to do is DABS (highly concentrated THC). Shit can ca lapse your lungs from coughing so much. Its not like the old fucks who take a few puffs here and there

Your not with the new age. A new thing to do is DABS (highly concentrated THC). Shit can ca lapse your lungs from coughing so much. Its not like the old fucks who take a few puffs here and there

thats sucks. im gonna stay away, way away from that. thats scary shit man. to take something like pot and turn it into a deadly drug suck a fat one. pun intended.

I think they should test for PED's, and not anything else.

The league should ensure that players aren't cheating....what they do in their own free time is their own business, and if they break the law, it's for the cops and courts to sort out.

The league should ensure that players aren't cheating....what they do in their own free time is their own business, and if they break the law, it's for the cops and courts to sort out

well put

The league should ensure that players aren't cheating....what they do in their own free time is their own business, and if they break the law, it's for the cops and courts to sort out.

I understand this point of view, but you have to be able to look at it from the NFL's side too. They don't want to be branded as a league of pot smoking, wife beating, drinking and driving hoodlums either. And because of the public image, fair or unfair, it's in the best interest of the NFL to provide further incentive not to break the law.

I understand this point of view, but you have to be able to look at it from the NFL's side too. They don't want to be branded as a league of pot smoking, wife beating, drinking and driving hoodlums either. And because of the public image, fair or unfair, it's in the best interest of the NFL to provide further incentive not to break the law.

I don't disagree....but if they do anything you mentioned above, the cops can and should come down on them.

They can also write contracts with a huge financial hammer if the player is convicted of a crime like DWI, domestic abuse, etc.