SportsWrath

What coaches are saying about the FA the Giants signed

Nas

Andy Reid's remarks were hilarious

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/03/former_coaches_dish_on_some_giants_free-agent_signings.html

ORLANDO -- The AFC coaches spoke for an hour on Tuesday morning (except the Patriots Bill Belichick who spoke for 50 minutes). It was an opportunity to find out a little something about some of the newest Giants players.

So I went to some of their former coaches and asked away. Here's what I found:

Broncos coach John Fox on why CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie had a bounce-back season:
"That was his doing. I think guys when you break it down for them, and each year you do, this is your profession. What are they going to remember you for?"

"He sat next to Champ [bailey]. Champ was a great leader for us the three years I've been here. He sat next to him. I'll give DRC that. He was smart enough to have that seat. He got better. He's a very talented player."

John Harbaugh on LB Jameel McClain:
"He came back midseason from that injury, so there is probably some transition there. By the end of the year, I think he was the same player, and he'll be even better next year, back to his old self probably. You're getting a physical player, a very physical run-stopper. You're getting a very smart player, he understands coverage schemes and you're getting a tremendous, great, high-character guy. He'll be a great mentor for the young players. He's just a top-shelf person."

Why he didn't return to Baltimore:
"It was strictly money. Jameel had a contract and -- we were hoping we could balance the books a bit -- and maybe get him back. But we had to re-sign Daryl Smith and it was a casualty of the process ... unfortunately for us."

Chiefs coach Andy Reid on OL Geoff Schwartz:
"They get a great person, first of all. Highly, highly intelligent and loves to play the game."

"He also has the biggest foot on the team. A size 18 foot. He's a big man. He can play anywhere across the board, all the spot. He was a solid player for us."

"I did play him at tackle. I played him at both tackles, both guards. He was kind of the John Havlichek there."

"We would have loved to have him back. But he got a better opportunity a better deal with the Giants. I wish him the best. I'm pulling for him."

Raiders coach Dennis Allen on RB Rashad Jennings:

"He played well for us. He played really well for us. He was a back that you'd seen a little bit in Jacksonville but you hadn't really seen a lot of. So you weren't really sure exactly what you had in him. He was a pleasant surprise. The thing I was most impressed with him was that he was a big back that ran big. I think that is important. But yet he still had the speed to break off a long explosive run."

"He had special team ability. That is where he made his first impact for us, on special teams. The more touches you gave to him, the more you got a chance to see he had good ability as a runner."

On whether he's a feature back:
"He became our feature back but there are very few nowadays. … I don't think those are the days you live in now. I think you have to have more than one option at the running back position."