SportsWrath

Danny Langsdorf:New QB coach

Bigblue25

Sean Ryan, who served as the Giants quarterback coach in 2012-13, will now coach the wide receivers again. Ryan was the Giants wide receivers coach in 2010-11.

Kevin M. Gilbride, who served as the Giants wide receivers coach in 2012-13, will now coach the tight ends. Gilbride is the son of recently-retired Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride.

http://www.bigblueinteractive.com/2014/01/27/new-york-giants-officially-hire-danny-langsdorf-quarterbacks-coach-reassign-sean-ryan-kevin-m-gilbride/

"Hey Lil Gilly, you really fucked up the WRs over the last few years, but we promised your Pops we wouldn't fire you too, so we're just gonna have you go coach a position we don't care about."

I don't think his career should be tied to that of his dad... maybe the guy is good or at least ok at what he does. The Giants are cleaning house so there must be a reason.. a good one.. they kept this guy.

"Hey Lil Gilly, you really fucked up the WRs over the last few years, but we promised your Pops we wouldn't fire you too, so we're just gonna have you go coach a position we don't care about."

McAdoo was the tight ends coach at Green Bay, so he could be putting Gilly Jr. in a position that he can manage him more closely or de-emphasize his influence on the offense. He's putting him in a role he knows very well, so Gilly Jr. needs to make sure he lives up to the standard of the man in charge of the offense even more so.

McAdoo was the tight ends coach at Green Bay, so he could be putting Gilly Jr. in a position that he can manage him more closely or de-emphasize his influence on the offense. He's putting him in a role he knows very well, so Gilly Jr. needs to make sure he lives up to the standard of the man in charge of the offense even more so.

Why even keep him then?

Because it's not really his call. Maybe he doesn't want to keep him. But Coughlin has final say with those kinds of decisions... I suppose Mara has the REAL final say, but hiring and firing assistant coaches is Coughlin's responsibility. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that McAdoo was told that Gilbride Jr stays. McAdoo didn't fire Pope and Ingram, that was Coughlin, although he may have had McAdoo's input in mind in doing so. Perhaps, though, Pope and Ingram weren't exactly on board with a 36 year old first time OC as their new boss, or with the suspected new offensive philosophy, and let it be known.

Everyone knows Coughlin was close with Gilbride and was ready to fight for his job following the season. It's a lot easier to protect his son's job, but he hired McAdoo to re-shape the offense. I think Coughlin told him he could re-assign Gilbride Jr, but he stays on the staff. If I'm McAdoo, and I want to lessen a particular coach's influence, I put him in a place where I might have more influence than other position coaches because its a position I myself used to coach.

From everything I've read, it seems like McAdoo is meticulous, and if that's the case, there is probably a good reason Gilly Jr got moved there, and it's probably not a good one for Gilly Jr.